R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Error codes; coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 04:14 PM
redwhiteR562007
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Error codes; coolant temp

2007 R56; 115,000 miles. Old guy owner, daily driver -- when wife sends me out to get groceries.

Check engine icon came on -- the yellow icon that's shaped like a motor. It came on in the tach display and in the speedo. The icon in the tach display went out and display returned to normal, however, the icon in the speedo is on constantly.

I pulled the codes with Foxwell IBD code reader, found two error messages:

Engine DME Motor Electronics 2F07 DME maps thermostat mechanism

MOST System Analysis FFF3 present Engine malfunction with adverse effect on exhaust emissions

I Googled around the 'net and found the 2F07 refers to the engine temperature sensor -- it sits on the driver's end of the motor; Replacement is simple: unplug the lead, remove a clip hold the sensor in, remove sensor and O ring, install new sensor and O ring, bleed coolant system.
I then plugged in my Scanguage and set it to read coolant temp. The motor idled for 10 minutes, coolant temp came up to 120 deg; drove 5 miles, came up to 185-188 deg.
As I recall, the coolant temp is supposed to be something like 220 deg -- at least that's what showed on Scanguage when I drove around with it connected for few weeks.

Can anyone help? I think it's the coolant temp sensor, which I replaced a couple of years ago. Anyone know for certain what the two codes mean?

Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 PM
ortizinc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j just replaced my sensor, as it was reading 179 Max with the engine light on. Now it's reading 226.4. But it never goes
higher that that. Sometimes it will go down to 219. Is this normal? The engine light has not come back on. But I have only driven about 30 miles.

2009 r56 manual S

Old 04-16-2021, 06:33 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by redwhiteR562007
2007 R56; 115,000 miles. Old guy owner, daily driver -- when wife sends me out to get groceries.

Check engine icon came on -- the yellow icon that's shaped like a motor. It came on in the tach display and in the speedo. The icon in the tach display went out and display returned to normal, however, the icon in the speedo is on constantly.

I pulled the codes with Foxwell IBD code reader, found two error messages:

Engine DME Motor Electronics 2F07 DME maps thermostat mechanism

MOST System Analysis FFF3 present Engine malfunction with adverse effect on exhaust emissions

I Googled around the 'net and found the 2F07 refers to the engine temperature sensor -- it sits on the driver's end of the motor; Replacement is simple: unplug the lead, remove a clip hold the sensor in, remove sensor and O ring, install new sensor and O ring, bleed coolant system.
I then plugged in my Scanguage and set it to read coolant temp. The motor idled for 10 minutes, coolant temp came up to 120 deg; drove 5 miles, came up to 185-188 deg.
As I recall, the coolant temp is supposed to be something like 220 deg -- at least that's what showed on Scanguage when I drove around with it connected for few weeks.

Can anyone help? I think it's the coolant temp sensor, which I replaced a couple of years ago. Anyone know for certain what the two codes mean?
Your Google let you down again! Page OBD-9, Bentley service manual says 2F07 is "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)"

Your coolant temp sensor is fine; the thermostat has failed to regulate coolant temp. This is a common problem on MINIs; I've changed at least three of them. The good part is that when they fail, the engine will run cool not hot.

Now, on to more about your cooling system. During steady-state operation of the engine, the coolant temp should be about 221. Now let's say your floor the accelerator; the DME will say hey! He wants to go fast. So it will cool off the engine by opening the MAP controlled thermostat allowing more coolant to flow to the radiator; under heavy engine loads, the engine temp should drop to 185F. Hope that clears things up.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM
ortizinc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkov608
Your Google let you down again! Page OBD-9, Bentley service manual says 2F07 is "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)"

Your coolant temp sensor is fine; the thermostat has failed to regulate coolant temp. This is a common problem on MINIs; I've changed at least three of them. The good part is that when they fail, the engine will run cool not hot.

Now, on to more about your cooling system. During steady-state operation of the engine, the coolant temp should be about 221. Now let's say your floor the accelerator; the DME will say hey! He wants to go fast. So it will cool off the engine by opening the MAP controlled thermostat allowing more coolant to flow to the radiator; under heavy engine loads, the engine temp should drop to 185F. Hope that clears things up.
wow, mine never goes down below 219, especially when I decide to go fast.

i just replaced the thermostat and used the new temp sensor. The temp 226.4 so we decided to change back to the original temp sensor. The new temp never came above 185. So we ordered a new temp sensor and now it reads 226.4 again.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 521 Likes on 405 Posts
Originally Posted by ortizinc
wow, mine never goes down below 219, especially when I decide to go fast.

i just replaced the thermostat and used the new temp sensor. The temp 226.4 so we decided to change back to the original temp sensor. The new temp never came above 185. So we ordered a new temp sensor and now it reads 226.4 again.
mine will run 215-222 when moving, unless ac is on full blast then it run below around 180. When idling in like a drive thru it will raise up to 230 and kick the cooling fan on.

The following users liked this post:
Jakomcbean (04-16-2021)