Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help. Coolant pressure and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM
James Diggle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. Coolant pressure and other problems

The car seems to run fine except when i shut it down, then theres a enormous amount of fluid coming from the over flow cap. There is also fluid in the hose shown for the air intake. Im getting a few codes in pictured. I took it in on a trade and the guy before me just redid the timing assembly and headgasket. Any help would be awesome.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM
James Diggle
Neutral
Coolant temp sensore

The male connector for the temp sensor was shattered so i fitted the leads in place but may have crossed them. Would that cause the ecu to think its not hot and incorrectly manage the thermostat?

Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Well, it looks like some of the steps for removal/installation of the cylinder head were not performed correctly.

For your first fault code, I'll bet that can be fixed by reconnecting the electrical connector to the temp sensor; the sensor is mounted to the inside of the bumper. OBTW, the AC clutch won't engage with that disconnected. You have to disconnect the plug from the sensor when you put the front end of the car in the "service" position.

The second code and the burping from the coolant recovery tank is probably due to improper servicing of the cooling system after the head was installed ... air in the system. This may explain the overtemp warning.

Your P0012 DTC may be from improper timing chain tensioning.

For P0327, look for a connection problem at the sensor.

ECS tuning will carry the connector that is damaged, but which connector is it, the one for the coolant temp sensor, or the one for the electronically controlled thermostat valve?

The following 2 users liked this post by mkov608:
ECSTuning (05-22-2019), James Diggle (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:23 PM
James Diggle
Neutral
There is 2 plugs on the wiring harness that are completely busted with just the wires hanging there. One of them is for the coolant temp and i may have put them on backwards because i didn't have the make end to determine which one goes where then right above the coolant temp is the other sensor that appears to directly go into the valve cover with a single grey wire. Im going to swap the wires on the coolant temp sensor and see if that corrects that. I tried to bleed the coolant system maybe i just didn't do ot effectively enough? The guy said he put just water in it to test it with out wasting coolant so i need to drain some anyway to add undiluted coolant. At the time i pulled the codes the front bumper wasnt on. The ambient air temp sensor has now been hooked back up. Im not sure what putting it into service mode is or how to do it. Is that what the dash shows when it has picture of a car on a lift?

Old 05-21-2019, 05:24 PM
James Diggle
Neutral
I did some research and slot came up with a possibility of the VANOS sensor being bad for P0012