R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First start and bad jjoise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:33 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
First start and bad jjoise

I finally started the mini and guess what. There is a noise. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak. So I went to work and checked every connection including the routing of the vacuum lines from the pump, to the tank and back to the wastegate actuator. Then I thought it could be a scraping noise like a dry bearing. The A/C guy came over to charge the system and check it for leaks and we both listened.

The noise seems to come from the exhaust gasket. I put a torque wrench on the bolts I could reach and the torque was right on the money. Since I use the torque diagram in the book I am pretty sure all the bolts got the same treatment and they all have paint dots on them.

I used a new gasket, studs and nuts. I also had the exhaust manifold machined so the faces were flat and true - I checked it at the machine shop.

Has anyone had the same issue? If so how did you remedy this problem?

Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Update. I've tried to find the noises and cannot. I removed the airbox and installed a new PCV connection under the intake manifold. And the new vacuum pump sounded weird when I cranked the engine with the valve cover off so I'm replacing the pump. I cannot feel any leaks other than those. I can only hope it's not the exhaust manifold. That is misery to replace. The engine will not rev past about 2500 rpm. I haven't measured the fuel pressure from the tank yet. Not quite sure how to do that. Special fittings and gauge maybe?

Old 03-12-2021, 02:37 PM
RicksterR56
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi there,

Are you getting any codes? Is the noise only at start up? Will it drive?

Thanks

Rick

Old 03-12-2021, 10:10 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
It won't drive. It won't rev past 2K rpm. and it wants to die. I can't tell where the noise is coming from. I'm prepared to remove the exhaust gasket and replace it as the noise seems to be coming from that side of the engine. Turning the engine with the valve cover off produces yet another noise. More of a scraping noise like a dry bearing or gear. Vacuum pump is suspect. It's difficult to record this because there is so much engine noise.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:59 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
3-14-2021
I replaced the rear PCV vent hose to the manifold. I also replaced the vacuum pump as there was a strange noise when cranking the engine. The engine wants to die and using the throttle to keep it running won't work. The fuel rail pressure at idle is about 700psi. I don't see any misfires on the hand-held. No codes except for stuff that is unplugged. Replaced coils one by one with ones that I know work. No change. It sounds like a misfire. checked intake manifold = torqued. The exhaust manifold is torqued. Removed the valve cover and all the valves are opening and closing properly and compression is consistent across all cylinders. Barely a 1% difference.Leakdown seems normal with only air moving in the crankcase. I'm at the end of my technical expertise here. I know the tank pump works because it's new. I started the car last night and forgot to replace the pump fuse and it started and died. When I replaced the fuse it started up.

Could the cam timing have slipped even after having the timing double checked by the master tech at the dealer? Could a little bit of old fuel be affecting the engine running? I pumped out and recycled almost all the gas in the tank and refilled with fresh. Is there a way to check the injectors and see if they are firing? They are new as well. All the sensors are new except for the knock sensor. The throttle body is new. Honestly, I cannot think of anything else that could be screwing up the works. I have no codes.

Ideas please. Thanks DR