R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Troubleshooting- need serious help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM
SuckedDry
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting- need serious help!

2010 Mini - Base

Manual

Okay. I really first noticed this after having low fuel. At idle (more pronounced wit A/C off) I have been experiencing stalls. I tap the gas to keep it alive, but if I don’t it looks like it will die. This happens particularly when cold. Red lights have been a slight issue, but it’s mostly if I’m in a parking lot or starting it for the first time in the morning or after several hours.

I’m showing no codes.

Services:

New clutch within 7k miles

New sensors for oxygen

New Vanos sensor

New valve

Changed spark plugs today

Added Techron and minimum 93 gas

Always used premium

Last oil change 5k agi- will be doing tomorrow.

Coils changed in the fall.

New rotors and pads on all four.

Use the synthetic oil (though this is the only car I haven’t done my own oil change on due to being unhoused, without a shop and on the road).

Again - no codes.

I’m really hoping it’s not the fuel pump. If it is, will i be needing the 1,500 or 500 dollar pump?

Seems fine while running. Gas mileage seems bad, but I’ve only driven in town since changing my spark plugs so it’s not a fair estimate.

Currently on a road trip for the summer and I’ve already spent a whopping 4K just on repairs :(.

If it’s fuel pump should I feel comfortable doing it myself? Haven’t checked the tube yet for vids.

What else? Well, this has to be my last MINI. I’ve spent over 7k on repairs since buying this. I’m at 115k.

I’m not thinking it’s timing due to the fact that there is no knock or any issues while driving.

I did have a shop “check my timing” and they said it was one of the better ones they saw for a MINI.

This is leaps and bounds the most dangerous and problematic vehicle I’ve driven. Unfortunately, I haven’t paid it off yet or this thing would be gone.

Seems like every couple weeks something serious happens.

All advice would be appreciated before I haul this to a shop. This car has killed my bank account and my road trip. Currently without a real home until August so I’m kind of stuck on the road, making this crucial to repair at all costs, unfortunately.

If I made that bad mistake of letting my fuel get too low and some sediments clogged the strainer is there a way to clean that without full replacement? Will a long freeway drive help this? I’m going to take it about two hours on the highway this evening to a friend’s house where I can do some work for a few days, but I don’t want to outstay my welcome.

I will be coming across enough funds next month to, if I survive until then, lol, pay the car off in full.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

I did the Techron thing and added gas (though my tank was about half full). Still experiencing symptoms, but I haven’t really taken it on a good drive since adding- will be in a couple hours.

The town I’m in today doesn’t even have a shop that carries suitable oil filters so, even if I break down halfway, the drive to a bigger town is necessary.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:35 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start with some basics:
-Fuel Injector Cleaner in the tank (Seafoam)
-Sensor Cleaner and spray all of the sensors on the intake
-Different gas station, you may have gotten a bad gas (water in fuel), you could also try some ISO heat.

The fuel pump in the tank is easy to get to it's just under the back seat.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 PM
SuckedDry
Neutral
I’ll definitely do all these. Do t I want a near empty tank for sea foam though? I hit it with the Techron and drove 100+ miles and put in new gas from Shell (93).

Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One can treats 16 gallons, I read that if stronger cleaning is needed to add more Sea Foam. So my guess is that if you have half a tank it would be the same as adding two bottles to a full tank.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM
SuckedDry
Neutral
Cat Converter is the dealers verdict. That’s it Mini. After having it inspected for the same problem several times we are here. I’m done with this brand.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
If it's the HPFP eventually it won't start at all. My 2007 did the "sputtering after first cold start thing" for a week or 2 and then it died back in 2008. I don't think it threw any codes either, maybe when it finally died. I think Mini extended the warranty replacement time on the R56 HPFP by a lot.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM
chazmataz
Neutral
Sounds like the hpfp. I’d check pressure from the pump inside the tank to the hpfp. If pressure ok then sounds like the hpfp. Which one does it have? The conti?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 AM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
I guess I'll be the one to say change your fuel filter. Your car is 9 years old. It can't hurt if it isn't the problem, it's easy to do (relatively) yourself, but will be expensive to pay someone to do. It will eliminate one source of the problem, before you move on to the <more expensive> HPFP, or even the low-pressure pump in the tank.