R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Latest Valve Cover info and pic - and a question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 AM
frozenwaffles
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Latest Valve Cover info and pic - and a question!

Hello peeps, so i wanted to be over cautious with my new mini (new to me). Its a 2011 R56 JCW and goes great!
But i have heard all these nightmare stories of carbon build up and troubles with the PCV. I had to replace the PCV hose off the back of the engine that goes to the manifold as it wasnt locking onto the valve cover properly. i replaced it, but it still didn't lock on properly, so i figured the valve cover was damaged. Also i noticed plenty of oil in the LCV hose so thought it might be a good idea to replace the valve cover regardless.
Well the new cover has already made a difference purely by allowing the PCV hose to attach and lock on properly! Win! But the car idles better and runs a bit smoother.
So i saw a post on here that showed the insides of the older valve cover, but not the newer ones. Since my car was built in November 2011, i think it has the newest version of the valve cover. here is the cover with all the internal parts to the side and the top cover removed obviously.

So my other question is about the small valve that comes with the new covers. My old cover had the valve in place. But with the instructions i got on the valve cover from ECS, it says that there is a small blocking device that goes in the back for the excess pressure valve.
does anyone know exactly what this small piece does? to me it looks like it blocks the excess pressure valve! it's not a valve itself. the excess pressure valve is the round part of the valve cover that this little bit goes into. it has a spring and diaphragm inside. the cover for this excess pressure valve has the aqua green O-ring on it.

right now i have left it off. is there meant to be something that goes on there in other countries besides the US? i would assume that if not...and the valve opens, it will just spray oil over the manifold/airbox. i haven't had this happen yet

anyway looking to hear your thoughts...

Old 06-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
You can route an OCC to the back PCV opening on N14, that's one option!

Old 06-30-2019, 05:42 PM
frozenwaffles
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha Motoring
You can route an OCC to the back PCV opening on N14, that's one option!
Hi Alpha, thanks for that. Yeah I plan on installing two ProVent 150 Oil Separators (way better than an OCC) to both sides of the valve cover.
This has nothing to do with the small pressure relief valve insert i am talking about as my questions however...do you know about this piece?