R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dual Mass to Single Mass Conversion Clutch Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:56 AM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dual Mass to Single Mass Conversion Clutch Owners

For those that have made the conversion from the OEM dual mass flywheel clutch setup to an aftermarket single mass, which brand/model did you go with and what are your impressions? Any changes related to the stock driving experience?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Friend has been using OS Giken's set up in his customized JCW R56 for about 10 yrs now, I believe on his second clutch now and he does a ton of driving ( daily driver ). Their customer service is top shelf.

You get what you pay for.....

https://osgiken.net/

Old 05-04-2019, 03:57 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Another vote for OS Giken. Ten years and about 60K miles, mostly street but some track, still on first install and looked pretty good when I rebuilt the engine a couple months ago. A little chatter on street launch, but not objectionable.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I have JMTC's Stage 3 clutch and I'm happy with it except for one thing. The flywheel does not have a notch for the tool you would use to keep the engine in TDC to replace your timing chain. Meaning if you switch to the JMTC flywheel you will have to keep your old flywheel handy and swap them out to do a timing chain. Dunno if OS Giken solves this issue.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I have JMTC's Stage 3 clutch and I'm happy with it except for one thing. The flywheel does not have a notch for the tool you would use to keep the engine in TDC to replace your timing chain. Meaning if you switch to the JMTC flywheel you will have to keep your old flywheel handy and swap them out to do a timing chain. Dunno if OS Giken solves this issue.
My OS Giken flywheel was one of the last without this notch --- someone finally clued them in. I finally took an old scrap unit, along with my OSG unit to a machine shop and had them add the notch. If you decide to go with a JMTC unit, you could do the same with your OEM unit, before scrapping it. Just be sure to get the new one re-balanced.

Also, maybe negotiate the price with JMTC to offset the added machine shop work?

Old 05-05-2019, 05:21 PM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Another vote for OS Giken. Ten years and about 60K miles, mostly street but some track, still on first install and looked pretty good when I rebuilt the engine a couple months ago. A little chatter on street launch, but not objectionable.
Which OS Giken series did you go with the GT or STR Series?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joedotmac
Which OS Giken series did you go with the GT or STR Series?
STR1CD according to my packing list.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-09-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:39 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My JMTC will be coming in soon and I'm hoping to have it installed next weekend. I'll try to update after a little bit of driving.

The following users liked this post:
joedotmac (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:28 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
My OS Giken flywheel was one of the last without this notch --- someone finally clued them in. I finally took an old scrap unit, along with my OSG unit to a machine shop and had them add the notch. If you decide to go with a JMTC unit, you could do the same with your OEM unit, before scrapping it. Just be sure to get the new one re-balanced.

Also, maybe negotiate the price with JMTC to offset the added machine shop work?
I bought the clutch kit over a year ago and didn't even realize the issue until now when I have my engine out anyway so it's no big deal. I bought a used automatic flywheel for like $50 and I'll just slap it on for the timing chain stuff then put on my JMTC flywheel and clutch before the transmission goes back on.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:23 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I bought the clutch kit over a year ago and didn't even realize the issue until now when I have my engine out anyway so it's no big deal. I bought a used automatic flywheel for like $50 and I'll just slap it on for the timing chain stuff then put on my JMTC flywheel and clutch before the transmission goes back on.
That's a good way to handle it if you're gonna sell the car right away --- next owner won't have any way to check / set the timing. You're better off in the long run to take your spare flywheel with the JMTC version to a shop and have the alignment pin hole machined in. Are you really ready to pull the tranny and switch flywheels each time the timing needs to be checked?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:54 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
That's a good way to handle it if you're gonna sell the car right away --- next owner won't have any way to check / set the timing. You're better off in the long run to take your spare flywheel with the JMTC version to a shop and have the alignment pin hole machined in. Are you really ready to pull the tranny and switch flywheels each time the timing needs to be checked?
There is no "next owner" for my car. But with any hope, by the time I ever need to do anything with timing ever again this car won't be my daily. I'm not overly concerned about it.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch swapn

I have a jmtc single plate. The clutch is from falcon in NY. I just rebuilt the engine and had no idea that the 90 degree hole wasn’t available on the flywheel. Luckily a local dealer had a stock flywheel they loaned me to time the engine. It was interesting that the shop who installed the new clutch and flywheel originally didn’t alert me to this. Haven’t started the engine yet after the rebuild. I hope all goes well. Does anyone know where the fuse is for the low pressure fuel pump. When I get to the point of priming the engine I dint want to flood the cylinders with gas.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danraabe
I have a jmtc single plate. The clutch is from falcon in NY. I just rebuilt the engine and had no idea that the 90 degree hole wasn’t available on the flywheel. Luckily a local dealer had a stock flywheel they loaned me to time the engine. It was interesting that the shop who installed the new clutch and flywheel originally didn’t alert me to this. Haven’t started the engine yet after the rebuild. I hope all goes well. Does anyone know where the fuse is for the low pressure fuel pump. When I get to the point of priming the engine I dint want to flood the cylinders with gas.
Did you go with the stage 1 with Kevlar clutch material? Where's the timing mark located on the OEM flywheel? Is it located in the teeth or somewhere else?

Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
The dual plate original is flat on The back side with a hole that accepts a long tool in the cam timing kit to put the engine at 90 degrees btdc. The aftermarket clutch I bought is not flat on the back side and it’s impossible to have the same timing feature. I was not aware of this when I invested in the flywheel and it hit me in the backside when I pulled my engine for a rebuild. Yes, the clutch is a mini clutch with Kevlar friction material. I just sent it back to falcon for a rebuild and he made some adjustments for higher clamping + new friction material. I had a stupid issue with the flywheel as well. I took it to a shop here to have the flywheel surfaced, and the jokers neglected to remove the same amount of material from the lip of the flywheel as they did from the face. Who knew you might need to be intelligent. I had it balanced here and the shop owner noticed the mistake.. I sent it to another shop, found a guy up north that had the magic number for the machinist and corrected the mistake. I then sent the whole mess to falcon which I should have done in the first place and he worked his magic. End of story. Now I forgot what the original question was... Apologies.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
I was considering using the R56 JCW w/N18 dual mass flywheel on my R56 MCS. Finally found the correct part numbers. Seems specs across various web sites are hit and miss, weight, teeth, diameter, etc. Sachs is the OEM supplier for Mini. Sachs was acquired by ZF back in 2001.

Finally found someone at ZF to give me the low down.
PN# 21207636253 is the R56 JCW DMF with N18 engine
PN# 21207595577 is the R56 MCS DMF with N18 engine

ZF states..... "The JCW clutch is 9" x 1" input 28 teeth. The Cooper S is 9 1/4" x 55/64" input 28 tooth. The smaller diameter clutch may have greater holding power as the slightly smaller diameter provides greater PSI contact and may also explain why the input shaft is larger. Although using the JCW clutch kit would require using the JCW flywheel and changing the input shaft in the transmission as well."

It would appear the JCW uses a slightly larger diameter transmission output shaft compared to the MCS per ZF. So tossing out the idea of using the JCW bits.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Is this the timing "mark"? Pictured is a OS Giken single mass flywheel.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Here's the timing hole in my '07MCS OEM flywheel, marked with an arrow. Other 3 holes around the perimeter are probably for OEM balancing.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Looks lik it’s in a good place. I wish I had known the fine points before I swapped.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Go for single mass flywheel and a better clutch. Same labor cost.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
I borrowed a flywheel to set timing on a rebuild. Now it looks like the jerks who renuilt me engine may have neglected to replace the cam seals on the intake cam, or used old seals. I will have to remove the intake cam to repair this. Do you have any idea how to set up the timing? Engine is in the car. And i have a JMTC flywheel as well

Old 10-07-2019, 08:08 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
How would you set the timing without swapping flywheels. My engine is in the car with all the time and effort that implies. The guys who built the engine neglected to replace the seals on the intake cam. I am not sure they can be replaced without removing the vanos.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Sorry i missed your question. There is no timing mark. The oem flywheel only fits in one position to the crank. You set the timing with tools that include a position lock for the flywheel and 3 pieces that bolt together for the cams. The jmtc flywheel doesnt have the hole to position the flywheel.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
It would be interesting to hear what Arric of JMTC has to say about his lack of a timing hole in his flywheels. Does he offer a reliable and accurate alternative method of setting timing with his flywheels?

Old 10-07-2019, 03:37 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danraabe
Sorry i missed your question. There is no timing mark. The oem flywheel only fits in one position to the crank. You set the timing with tools that include a position lock for the flywheel and 3 pieces that bolt together for the cams. The jmtc flywheel doesnt have the hole to position the flywheel.
You have to remove the transmission and swap flywheels to do the timing