R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 2010 Windows Reinitialization!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
R56 2010 Windows Reinitialization!

I have a problem since some weeks ago.
Suddenly, both windows stops closing with one touch toggle.
I can close both windows all the way but always by pressing the toggle all the time.
I can open the windows by one touch and from keyfob with no problems at all, the issue is related with closing and one touch function.

The steps to reset windows by pressing the toggles up and down were usefull in other times but there is not changes in this case.
The only way to get one touch function back was running a windows "desinitialization" and then a "reinitialization" through NCS Expert.
I must to do this procedure everyday day since the issue is present again overnight.
Before and after the procedure, no error codes found.

Now I'm searching for info related to what can be wrong.
I was thinking in door sensors but the issue is affecting both windows and not only one, it is strange, and with no error codes I believe I need the help from someone with this behaviour fixed or with an idea about what I should check to find the the real issue cause

Last edited by miniuy; 03-19-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:03 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know it's not helpful, but I've had this issue on both Mini's I've owned and just learned to live with it.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rondayvous
I know it's not helpful, but I've had this issue on both Mini's I've owned and just learned to live with it.
I will continue researching on internet and in my own MINI and I will let you know if I can find the exact issue and/or final fix.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM
synzeus
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your battery in a good state?

Old 03-21-2019, 01:40 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by synzeus
Is your battery in a good state?
Thank you for your question and yes, I believe my battery is in good state: changed for the same brand and model around 10 months ago.

Last night I was trying to understand how the anti-trap works.
I could see that the issue related to reset windows with NCS Expert and the issue returning in the morning could be related to a battery discharge, since I have a cigarette lighter LCD voltmeter and I could see that when I leave the car I have 14.4V but in the morning I have 12.2V. Then, there is something eating power, or as your said, the battery could be in not good condition.

I have tested the windows by resetting it with my hands pressing the glass (more effort to go up) and the result is the windows one-touch working 1 second more before killing the one-touch function!
I thought that the anti-pinch function was focused only in the "force" but I think that in addition to the force, it looks at how expensive it is to move the glass and what is the current voltage on it.
If the voltage and/or the windows speed is too much lower than the one stored in the last reset, then it is thinking that it is pinching and will stop.
This is only my theory, I can be totally wrong.

This morning I have used the battery very hard (stereo, highbeams, brake light, devices connected to usb, interior lights on, A / C, etc) and then, with all the devices on, the windows reset was done again.
The V while resetting windows was about 11.6V. The windows speed while the car was doing the reset was really slower than all the previous times.
If I'm in the right way, I'm trying to trick the sensor, trying to tell him that the current low speed (due to low V in system) does not mean that there is a "pinch".

The car have had parked since 9 hours ago, so in no more than 2 hours (office day finished) I will see if the one-touch function is working or not...

Last edited by miniuy; 03-22-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:35 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
UPDATE 1: After returning to the car I'm in the same situation: one-touch function not working to roll-up windows on both doors.

UPDATE 2: Now at home, instead of running the windows reset from NCS Expert I executed a restoration to factory values (current VO) in the FRM.
After that, I can reset the windows from the toggles in both windows and one-touch is working OK for roll-up.

Now I need to wait overnight to know if the problem is really in the FRM or not...

Last edited by miniuy; 03-22-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Morning is here and one-touch function is working OK for rolling-up both windows.
It seems the problem was in the FRM firmware/configuration.

Now, I have changed the FRM factory settings to recover the previous configuration: no cold/warm checks for all bulbs (I have all the bulbs moved to led and HID) and I have deleted all the errors too.
When returning to the car in about 10 hours I will be checking the one-touch function status
If OK I will wait after the weekend to let you know about this solution, to be secure about this is a stable one...

Last edited by miniuy; 03-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
After the weekend and with the FRM coded with the no cold/warm check for all bulbs, the one-touch windows function is working OK on both doors to close it from toggles and from keyfob.
Clearly there was a problem whit the FRM configuration.
I will be comparing the backup file prior to the module reset and the new one (running at this time) to try to find any difference to let you know and close this case

Old 03-27-2019, 09:01 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
After comparing the non-working backup file and the current configuration TRC file I can see there is a block of data missed in the backup file.

It is like if the car deleted about 10 lines in the middle of the file.
All the lines deleted were in the style of "Parameter_N" variable where N is a number between 1 and 14.
In my case, the Parameters deleted were 1, 2, 13 and 14.

Could be the portion of the memory where the configuration is located was corrupted or damaged too, then, the software cant read it and the result is an incomplete file.
If there is a not readable memory sector, surely the car couldn't read it nor some functions neither (one-touch windows) then, these functions were not available.

Hope this solution can save you time, money and solve your windows "not closing" issue