R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Street accident with front wheel involved

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Street accident with front wheel involved

A few days ago I was going down an avenue and I turn left. A second before starting the turn the traffic light changed to yellow so I accelerated and the turn I made was very open at 30mph. The result was that the car hit with it right front wheel against the curb. The wheels that I'm using are not OEM, they are made of aluminum and I'm running ECS 15mm wheel spacers on the 4 wheels.
I braked the vehicle and when checked I saw that the wheel had a large scratch (they are painted in black) but the vehicle was totally OK.
When driving back to my house and when I reached 40mph, I could hear a noise produced by the tire against the pavement with intervals of 1 second (yes) and a 1 second (not). As if the floor texture changed every 1 second (it's the best detail I can give to imagine the sound). Not mechanical noise at all.
That was not strange for me since I knew I was driving with a damaged rim then I drove to my house at low speed and the next day I took the vehicle to the indy shop to check all the wheels, perform alignment, check tires and wheel rotation.
My right front wheel was hammered to be fixed. The wheel was like new in less than 1 hour.

My problem now is that the same noise is chasing me at 75mph. From 0 to 75mph and from 80mph and on, there is not noise at all.
The noise is very slight now (50% less than after the accident) but it increases and it becomes very noticeable if I'm turning at 75mph in a curve to the left and I could say that I can "feel" that the noise is transmitted to the steering wheel if I take the steering wheel too hard.
I took the vehicle back to the indy shop and the techs tell me that all the wheels are fine and that the front drive train is perfect, there is nothing to repair and it is impossible that it has broken something with such a small impact with the rim being so little damaged.
I insist that the area where the wheel is screwed or something inside the axle may have been bent but they tell me it is impossible because "the wheel was the fuse in my incident".
What can I ask to check in a exact form given the accident I had and the parts involved?
I don't feel safe driving in that state, really.

Any advice will be welcome and very appreciated...

Last edited by miniuy; 04-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:53 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Could you have damaged your wheel bearing or even your cv axle?

Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
If I understand your incident ... I've had similar twice. Once due to a slide from snow, and another from trying to avoid crap in the raod

Front suspension can deal with a 'head on' hit fairly well. You might need and alignment but the suspension is built to take this.

On the other hand, slam the wheel laterally .... or even worse, while the wheel is turned way over and THEn hit it LOW .. laterally .....

the first time I did this, it was a slide into a curb at slow speed (snow), but the wheel was full lock to the side. After the incident you could see the wheel was a good 2 inches out of place in the wheel well. $2000 .. strut and bearing ...

many years later, trying to avoid crap in the road, clipped the curb - lateral shot to the suspension ... front and back btw while only going 30 ....

I could list all the parts, but it is long ...

knuckle, control arm, rotor, tie rod .... hubs front and back

$2000

Old 04-05-2018, 04:49 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

the first time I did this, it was a slide into a curb at slow speed (snow), but the wheel was full lock to the side. After the incident you could see the wheel was a good 2 inches out of place in the wheel well. $2000 .. strut and bearing ...
Had the same thing happen to me when I was stationed in Japan. Hit ice in the middle of a slow turn and the curb folded the left front wheel right under the car. When I backed up the wheel would go back to an approximation of the original position. Ended up driving in reverse to get back home. Got some strange looks when I went through front gate of the base backwards.

OP... Better get it checked out ASAP. You might be able to save the tire.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:27 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sawicki
Could you have damaged your wheel bearing or even your cv axle?
It seems to be more related with the wheel rotation (parts) due to the characteristics of the noise, but off course I could be wrong...
I will be trying to get checked the wheel hub & bearing.
it seems the CV Axle is OK (by the techs).

Last edited by miniuy; 04-06-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
On the other hand, slam the wheel laterally .... or even worse, while the wheel is turned way over and THEn hit it LOW .. laterally .....
Very similar to this incident.
The only difference is that the wheel was not 100% turned, only 50% (that was the reason for the slam, if it had been 100% turned I'm sure this would never have happened).
I'm starting to believe that then, I'm driving with a damaged wheel hub ...

Last edited by miniuy; 04-06-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
OP... Better get it checked out ASAP. You might be able to save the tire.
Thanks for the advice.
I think the same, the tire is who is suffering (harder) this fault...

Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Since the techs are saying that all is OK, and reading your experiences and advices based on your similar incidents seems to be indicating there could be a wheel hub and bearing issue...

is it too hasty to buy a new wheel hub ($300 plus import shipping plus labor cost) and order to change it without being able to verify the current wheel hub status?

Another idea is to exchange the wheel hub installed on the right with the installed on the left and get a drive test, but I think the cost of labor is not worth. I will be paying for doing all that effort just to test something that is almost certainly damaged ...

Last edited by miniuy; 04-06-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I 1st would swap wheel/tires front to rear.

Cost nothing & removes any doubt about wheel or tire.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidogger
I 1st would swap wheel/tires front to rear.

Cost nothing & removes any doubt about wheel or tire.
Yes, that was done immediately after the accident.
The rim was straightened and was exchanged with the rear one, then alignment service and wheels balancing service were done.
After that, the noise was reduced by about 70%-80%
That's why I started to believe it's a combination of damage to the rim (fixed) and damage to the wheel hub ...

Old 04-09-2018, 07:55 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Anyone has good/bad experience with these brands?
I'm searching for the best price/quality in wheel hub with bearing
There is no way to select the last option. I can't believe that price difference is not by reducing quality. And wheel parts are not for get the cheapest one...

OEM.......250
BCA........200
MEYLE.....175
NTN........150
NSK........140
OPTIMAL..100
Prime Choice..............................40 (???)

Last edited by miniuy; 04-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Finally I bought the NSK.
Because I just bought it minutes ago and it will take a few weeks to get to my country, I hope to have (good) news about the repair during April...

Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Update

After replacing the wheel hub, the "tire sound" finally gone.

I just need an alignment service, since there is a small vibration now on the steering wheel but it is an expected behavior after this replacement.
I will test again and will report the result after the alignment service...

Old 06-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
thanks for the feedback

lets us know if our thoughts were on the right track.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:05 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Fixed

After the alignment service everything has been perfect.
There are no more noises on the right front tire nor vibration on the steering wheel when turning at high speed to the left (tested on the highway).

Then, the issue finally was fixed by reparing the rim, changing the wheel hub bearing involved and getting an alignment service.

The blow received from the side, bent the rim and also bent the wheel hub bearing.
In my case, not others issues at all.

Thank you very much to everyone who suggested the list of parts to check!