R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New to the forum!! Looking for modification suggestions and saying whats up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM
sti101
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum!! Looking for modification suggestions and saying whats up!

Hello there, my name is Jason and I live in Asheville NC. I purchased my 09' Mini last year and Im now in a place to start looking at modest upgrades.

So far I have purchased a K&N CAI and blacked out the front chrome.

I've been debating about purchasing a larger front mounted inter cooler. Any suggestions on brands, expected cost, or if its even worth it?

Im not looking to turn my car into a loud *** race car, just trying to tastefully modify it.

That being said are there any exhaust suggestions that will complement the throaty Mini S sound but that wake up the neighbors? I was considering just changing out the muffler.

Thank you. I

Attached Thumbnails New to the forum!! Looking for modification suggestions and saying whats up!-20542756_10159036657920545_2091988288_o.jpg   New to the forum!! Looking for modification suggestions and saying whats up!-20542930_10159036648375545_327052034_o.jpg   New to the forum!! Looking for modification suggestions and saying whats up!-20543175_10159036649885545_1703455141_o.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Krazki
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. No need for the intercooler unless you get tuned, which I recommend along with a downpipe. Best bang for the buck. Look up Mario Palza

Old 07-31-2017, 03:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
2 relatively inexpensive things. Performance: Manicmini Stage 1 tune, $500. I just got one and it's a BIG improvement in acceleration AND the burble/pop from the exhaust (which I totally did not expect). $500. Handling: thicker rear antisway bar. 19mm or 21mm solid or 25mm hollow. Cost is about $300 installed. Reduces understeer when cornering.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You have some awesome roads around where you live.

IMO most Mini owners do not have a good understanding on what their car is capable of. We did a tour on the BRP in May, had just about every type of Mini you could think of. Some had mods and some were just good old stock. Our one group did a bunch of off parkway twisties. I was amazed at Justas, Clubmans and Countryman. All were stock but how they could handle.

The Mini is never going to be a 0-60 monster, where it is a monster is in the mountains on tight curvy roads. The sway bar is one very good mod that can be done for a reasonable price. For me, I would spend the money on handling before I spent anything more on engine HP/Torque. As good as a Mini handles, it handles even better with a good rear swaybar. You have money left over, a good tune will put some more smiles on your face.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome, we are just in Atlanta so and easy run over if you need.

The Forge intercooler is a great mod with or without a tune
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

And of course the torque arm bushing insert is a great bang for the buck and always the first mod we do
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html

Then we have plenty of other great mods and happy to help with ideas. Feel free to email us.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
^ what R53coop said.

Handling, brakes, improve the driver, then HP.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM
sti101
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
You have some awesome roads around where you live.

IMO most Mini owners do not have a good understanding on what their car is capable of. We did a tour on the BRP in May, had just about every type of Mini you could think of. Some had mods and some were just good old stock. Our one group did a bunch of off parkway twisties. I was amazed at Justas, Clubmans and Countryman. All were stock but how they could handle.

The Mini is never going to be a 0-60 monster, where it is a monster is in the mountains on tight curvy roads. The sway bar is one very good mod that can be done for a reasonable price. For me, I would spend the money on handling before I spent anything more on engine HP/Torque. As good as a Mini handles, it handles even better with a good rear swaybar. You have money left over, a good tune will put some more smiles on your face.
I was able to take my car to a track day and was blown away when an instructor took it around the course. We didn't go further than 3rd gear and the car was tearing it up and setting competitive lap times for its class stock.

I also live 10min from the Parkway and make the drive to Craggy Gardens on pretty summer days. Increasing the handling is definitely something im interested in.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM
sti101
Neutral
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
2 relatively inexpensive things. Performance: Manicmini Stage 1 tune, $500. I just got one and it's a BIG improvement in acceleration AND the burble/pop from the exhaust (which I totally did not expect). $500. Handling: thicker rear antisway bar. 19mm or 21mm solid or 25mm hollow. Cost is about $300 installed. Reduces understeer when cornering.
Will the tune increase the pop on my 09'? Also is it working all the time or can it be disengage when not in use? Just curios how it effects fuel economy in daily driving.

What art the pros/cons of the different size away bars?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Tuner can increase the pop. Manic can also make it a "flame-thrower", on request. Gas mileage is controlled with your foot. Last I checked, I was getting 40+MPG and I have a Manic stage 4 tune. Haven't checked since I rebuilt with hi-lift / long duration cams, but it's not much less. Manic tune can be un-installed by the user if you buy the switch option --- choice of three Manic tunes plus the original tune you started with. Only takes a few seconds to change, otherwise, it's "working all the time". I highly recommend it.

Sway bar pros --- significant improvement in handling, adjustable version (multiple holes) is even better. Cons --- a bit of labor for DIY'r to install.

The following users liked this post:
sti101 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
All of the aftermarket rear sway bars have multiple holes where they connect to the trailing arm. This means that you can tune them to your liking (holes at the end of the bar will 'soften' the bar, holes away from the end of the bar will 'stiffen' it).

Adjustments are nice, because you can change it if you do other suspension mods.

I'm running a hollow 25mm bar on the soft setting right now.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Omatic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Can any of these mods be made to a non-s that wont blow it up lol

Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Omatic
Can any of these mods be made to a non-s that wont blow it up lol
For a non S you would want to start with an Intake
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...5-r56-r57.html

and the torque arm insert works on both S and Non S cars

And of course a sway bar would be the best suspension mod to start with

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Omatic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
For a non S you would want to start with an Intake
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...5-r56-r57.html

and the torque arm insert works on both S and Non S cars

And of course a sway bar would be the best suspension mod to start with
Thank you sir. I'll look into these options for sure. And I keep hearing this sway bar talk, how easy of an install are they?

Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Torque arm mods are about the easiest of all mods. Sway bars aren't hard to install, just expect to get dirty. It helps to be in good condition / healthy --- there's some heavy stuff to move around.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:14 PM
tman
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed the Eibach 19mm rear swaybar in my 2011 cooper s yesterday and have to say it's a must have mod for anyone interested in getting their mini handling better.
Car feels way more neutral going into a corner.
I allready have Eibach springs on the car but I feel the rear could be a tad lower to level it out.
I think the torque arm bushing is next.