Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mini 09 R56 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Lopanda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini 09 R56 won't turn over

One day went outside, car wouldn't turn over. Tried jump starting it to no avail, all the fuses are intact, battery works, starter works, just sounds like it's empty. I had 2 bars left, replaced the fuel pump (which is what the dealership told me it was and was gonna charge me $700 to replace it) They said it's not the high pressure fuel pump under the hood and that it was definitely the fuel pump in the back. I filled it up a couple gallons more, tried a couple times, let it sit for a half hour, no avail, engine will not turn over. Any ideas?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Lopanda
1st Gear
bump

Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
try spraying quick start at the elbow pipe right before the throttle body. see if it starts.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Quick way to know if the rear fuel pump is bad when you have a HPFP up front.

Can you hear the rear fuel pump prime when you open the door or unlock the car?

It should sound like a high pitch quick whine coming from the fuel tank... it lasts only a couple seconds. If not then its the primary rear fuel pump.

Part # 16112755082

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16112755082/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Lopanda
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Quick way to know if the rear fuel pump is bad when you have a HPFP up front.

Can you hear the rear fuel pump prime when you open the door or unlock the car?

It should sound like a high pitch quick whine coming from the fuel tank... it lasts only a couple seconds. If not then its the primary rear fuel pump.
I do not hear that sound. I just bought this fuel pump as a replacement. Is there a way to see if it's even getting power? I'm thinking it may be a cord that needs replaced

Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Make sure the connector at new pump is pushed all the way on....sometimes it feels like its connected when not fully"clicked" providing proper contact of bushing pins inside the connector.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 AM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The OP is confusing. Does the engine rotate (turn over) or not? It's unclear.

If the engine does not turn over, then fuel and starting fluid are pointless. It's either a starter problem or something preventing the starter from engaging.

If the engine does rotate (turn over) then you can proceed to check fuel and spark.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
TimBaleia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lopanda
One day went outside, car wouldn't turn over. Tried jump starting it to no avail, all the fuses are intact, battery works, starter works, just sounds like it's empty. I had 2 bars left, replaced the fuel pump (which is what the dealership told me it was and was gonna charge me $700 to replace it) They said it's not the high pressure fuel pump under the hood and that it was definitely the fuel pump in the back. I filled it up a couple gallons more, tried a couple times, let it sit for a half hour, no avail, engine will not turn over. Any ideas?
can you turn over the engine by hand? If you can't than its not fuel pump. If your engine turns but doesnt start its a different issue. You can remove oil cap and see if exhaust cam turning while you trying to start the car. If it turns but car doesn't start you have to pinpoint stuff one by one. Fuel, spark, compression etc...