R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best Wiper Blades?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Legolover1076
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Wiper Blades?

Looking for new wiper blades for my 07 MCS hardtop, and was wondering if anybody had some recommendations of good ones to get.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Over the years whenever I strayed from OEM I was disappointed. You can save a bit of cash if you buy the wiper from whoever produced them like Valeo or whatever for your year and model. Check ECS website as a they often show the alternative brands.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm still on my originals from 2008. I'd stick with OEM. You can get just the inserts and pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Bosch ikon blades. They work well for me. They don't ice up like the oem blades do.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ebay is the best place to get the OEM Bosch blades with free shipping! Stay OEM on blades, ask me how many cars I've owned and know this to be fact, lol.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for Bosch Icon. Hands down the best blade that I've used.

The following users liked this post:
trhull (09-16-2023)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I've tried all the brands and the Piaa are the best. They do cost, but I've personally used them on my car for over 4yrs. They really work ask anyone that has had a set.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/piaa-w...-for-mini.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Jakomcbean
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
+1 on the Piaa's. Fit like the OEM but perform way better.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:54 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
i use bosch ikon blades. They work well for me. They don't ice up like the oem blades do.

+2

Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Phocine
2nd Gear
Way forced me to use PIAA's and I think they're fantastic. +1

Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM
scottselk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I use Bosch ikon blades. They work well for me. They don't ice up like the oem blades do.
I will +3 the Ikons I buy them for EVERYTHING I drive. 08 Mini,11 Ram, 03 Alero and will buy for the 99 Grand Cherokee! They cost about three times standard blades but out perform and last years longer.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Bosch has treated me well.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 AM
bwilsor
Neutral
Bosch Icon

The only wiper I have come across that properly clears the windshield at highways speeds.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 AM
R56in
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another +1 for the Bosch ICONs (18A & 19B)

Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM
JohnPlayer
1st Gear
PIAA. Bosch Icons didn't make full contact with the windshield on the passenger side of my car.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Jpfugly
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JohnPlayer
PIAA. Bosch Icons didn't make full contact with the windshield on the passenger side of my car.
What he said. There's an 1in bit that it misses on my car. Drives be insane.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JohnPlayer
No idea what wipers I have but they're one of the fancy sleek looking ones that are just a long thing of rubber, and I have the same exact problem. Drives me wild when I spray to clean my windshield and I see that little bit still dirty. Not a real problem by any means though.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 PM
f_p
2nd Gear
I am happy using valeo.
I install a fresh set in winter and during summer time I install the old wipers. The sun is pretty aggressive in South Europe. By doing this, I keep the "fresh winter" blades for 3 or 4 years.

Ensure that you clay the windscreen every now and then, to remove dirt and pollutants that cause the irritating lines after using the wipers.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the secret to 'wiper efficiency' is clean glass. Most folks have no idea how much crud is stuck to the glass and will not come off with windex. Most folks DO appreciate that a clay job will greatly improve the paint finish by making everything very smooth by removing crud stuck to the paint but don't apply the lesson to the glass. I use a single edge window razor/window scraper on my glass at least annually and every time I get a bunch of junk off. Clay also works but you can be more aggressive with the glass as it is stronger than the paint! Many will save the clay they used on the paint and use this on the glass until next cycle. If my blades begin to drag or chatter, time for the razor to come out ... something is stuck to the glass. You still need to replace blades cuz they do wear out, and remember to CLEAN them when you wash the car, but even 'the best' blades won't work on dirty glass. Rainex etc and wax can mask the issue by providing lubrication over the gunk, but clean is better.

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (03-10-2019)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
kongjie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R56in
Another +1 for the Bosch ICONs (18A & 19B)
Thanks for posting that--I was finding it hard to believe that the left and right blades are different sizes.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
PIAA super silicone- curved blade on the passenger side and regular on the driver side.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the secret to 'wiper efficiency' is clean glass. Most folks have no idea how much crud is stuck to the glass and will not come off with windex. Most folks DO appreciate that a clay job will greatly improve the paint finish by making everything very smooth by removing crud stuck to the paint but don't apply the lesson to the glass. I use a single edge window razor/window scraper on my glass at least annually and every time I get a bunch of junk off. Clay also works but you can be more aggressive with the glass as it is stronger than the paint! Many will save the clay they used on the paint and use this on the glass until next cycle. If my blades begin to drag or chatter, time for the razor to come out ... something is stuck to the glass. You still need to replace blades cuz they do wear out, and remember to CLEAN them when you wash the car, but even 'the best' blades won't work on dirty glass. Rainex etc and wax can mask the issue by providing lubrication over the gunk, but clean is better.

What ^^ said. I spent 3 years in New England, I was in Boston winter of 2013 for literally their worst snowfall year in recorded history and the next year I was in Newport RI for it's worst snowfall year in recorded history.

For those who don't understand the concept of fluffy white **** falling from the sky it's not the snow that's problematic. It's the 100k tons of salt and sand those *******s put on the road to compensate for how ****ing shitty people drive in the snow. Wouldn't be a problem if stupid people weren't stupid...

anyways, sand, salt= replace wiper blades 10x more frequently than I would here in Seattle, where our wipers get used more than most places but typically only because water. I've tried everything found at the local box stores from the high end icons and whatever else 30+ a blade and all the way down to 7 bucks each because you know you'll be back to buy more in a month regardless.

So, depending on if salt and sand are an issue for you, buy the cheapest you can get and come spring time CLAY BAR your glass and get the PIAA's. Come winter, take OFF the PIAA's and get cheap *** blades. Come spring, clay bar the glass and REuse the PIAA's, cause they'll still be good.

If winter isn't much of a problem then clay bar your glass 1-2 times a year and rock the PIAA's until you need new ones. Which could easily be 2-5 years depending on climate.

Search this Thread