R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '07 S Second Thermostat Housing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:41 AM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 S Second Thermostat Housing Replacement

Ok, so I bought my Cooper S in September. Initially had the dealership replace the cracked thermostat housing. Now it intermittently reads temp, cuts power, and runs the fans. So, the dealer is replacing it again and covering the cost. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this before and suggestions you may have? Also, I seem to have one injector that's louder than the others. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:34 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I've seen MINI owners report multiple thermostat replacements before so you're not alone in that matter. You should get the 2 year associated warranty with the new one so keep an eye on it. How have you determined it's the injector you're hearing and are there any other symptoms you're experiencing?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-02-2017, 06:17 AM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
There is a higher pitched, audible ticking sound in line with the injectors. I'm not certain, just attempting to make an educated guess on an engine I'm unfamiliar with. If it was a KA24 I'd know, but this has me on edge. It sounds like it's coming from cylinder two and is high in the engine.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 AM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Also, I've noticed a rattling in the timing chain when the oil is low. 87k, I'm guessing it's time to have the guides replaced. Is there a quick way to check those without disassembling much?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 AM
iron1951
Neutral
I also noticed a rattling when my oil was really low, off the dip stick or right at the bottom. Topped it up and the rattle went away. So now I keep an eye on the oil on a regular basis. So far no more rattle. Hope it is the same for you.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 AM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iron1951
I also noticed a rattling when my oil was really low, off the dip stick or right at the bottom. Topped it up and the rattle went away. So now I keep an eye on the oil on a regular basis. So far no more rattle. Hope it is the same for you.
It mostly disappeared. Thankfully, but I don't like it, none the less

Old 01-02-2017, 03:18 PM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Housing replaced...

Just picked it up after having the housing replaced again. Immediately noticed the fan still running, so I went into the 'hidden menu' to see if its reading a temp. It's not. Should I tear into these people or is there something else I'm missing?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the didn't get it bled properly.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, bring it back and let them know that the vehicle is still showing signs that it is not operating correctly. They should fix it at no cost to you. Don't tamper with it or bring it to another shop as that will "void" any warranty they provide. Also, do not let the oil get low on these MINI's. The guides wear from lack of lubrication and running low on engine oil. This can cause timing chain rattle at start up, noise when running and worse-case scenario a jumped timing engine. How many miles are on your R56 and has the timing chain/tensioner/guides ever been replaced?

Timing chain info: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

As for the ticking, as it's hard to help on this without hear it myself. Is this a new noise that has developed or have you always heard it since you've had your R56? It is a direct injection system, therefore they can be described as more audible.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST