R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Soundproofing the footwells?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soundproofing the footwells?

I removed all the panels and put in soundproofing. Better but still a lot of noise from the footwell area. In look at the quieter new MINIs I was told they spray some sound proofing under the wheel well covers.

I was going to remove them and put in sound proofing but spraying something seems to be more long lasting and... well... ton easier.

Anyone try this or have suggestions?

Old 10-26-2016, 05:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Maybe your tires are causing the noise problem, my MINI is very quiet.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Yes, its definately the Run Flats. With no space for a spare, stuck with those. Interesting you also have Continental run flats. On very good road surface its fine. Any worn road its really really loud. Hence I want to quiet the cabin from the front tires.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:05 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I recently changed to Continental ControlContact Sport AS tires. I notice a smoother ride, but I notice little change in sound levels. Maybe my old Continental runflats were quieter than other brands of runflats. It has everything to do with the tread pattern.

I haven't had a flat tire in many years, plus I have AAA, so I'm not concerned with the lack of a spare.

The runflats wore out around 30,000 miles and non-runflat replacements were much cheaper than runflat tires.

Tires are a consumable, you are going to have to replace your runflats eventually, just get quieter tires and don't waste your time with sound insulation.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Run flats definitely emit more noise. Swapping them out will change the noise and ride comfort drastically. I agree, your time may be better served going with the tire swap. You could cary Fix-a-flat and a compact compressor with you in the vehicle for if/when you ever get a flat. There is also a spare tire available to purchase for your R56 and a mount.

The compact spare wheel is HERE. Works with a tire: 115/70/15. We can also get you the mounting hardware. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Nui
4th Gear
The car does get flats and my wife drives it for work. I'm confident you're right about the runflats. In action they proved their worth due to my wife not wanting to know or due too much maintenance. Me? Wouldn't bother me at all. Have to consider her though. Might look into that mount though. Its time to change the tires so this is the right time to decide.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:12 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Nui
The car does get flats and my wife drives it for work. I'm confident you're right about the runflats. In action they proved their worth due to my wife not wanting to know or due too much maintenance. Me? Wouldn't bother me at all. Have to consider her though. Might look into that mount though. Its time to change the tires so this is the right time to decide.
Definitely makes sense as you'll want to make sure she feels safe driving it. If you do decide to go with the non run flat option please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to get you set up with what you need.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Nui
4th Gear
You bet! Thanks