R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New Guy + Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy + Questions!

First hello everyone! I have had my 2012 MCS for about 8 months now and have been trolling this site even longer for information and figured it was finally time to say hi!

So my Mini as many others is dual purpose Track/Daily and I have been to 10 track days since I bought her to include Thunderhill (3 and 5 Mile), Button Willow, and Laguna Seca (alot... As I live 10 minutes down the road).

My first work to the car (purchased with 45K miles) was to flush all fluids, brakes, oil, coolant everything. And tossed in a K&N air filter.

Next I replaced the dished out stock rotors for a newer nicer cross drilled/slotted rotor setup. I know drilled has a pnechant for cracking but I have yet to have a issue, crosses fingers!

I then switched out the stock Rims and run flats for a larger (width and diameter) but lighter rim and much better rubber Yokohama Neova AD08 R

My future Upgrades are going to consist of in most likely this order
Full Suspension
UnderBrace/X Brace
Intake/Exhaust (I have my eye on the akrapovic)
Bucket Seat/Harness

Of the future listed mods did I miss anything someone would recommend? Also is there any Harness setup that does not include me losing my back seat for good?! Ive seen the Schroth application that only works with the stock seat and I really need something that keeps my hiney planted better than the stock seat.

If you have any questions of me please don't hesitate to ask!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:38 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerome R Jr W
First hello everyone! I have had my 2012 MCS for about 8 months now and have been trolling this site even longer for information and figured it was finally time to say hi!

So my Mini as many others is dual purpose Track/Daily and I have been to 10 track days since I bought her to include Thunderhill (3 and 5 Mile), Button Willow, and Laguna Seca (alot... As I live 10 minutes down the road).

My first work to the car (purchased with 45K miles) was to flush all fluids, brakes, oil, coolant everything. And tossed in a K&N air filter.

Next I replaced the dished out stock rotors for a newer nicer cross drilled/slotted rotor setup. I know drilled has a pnechant for cracking but I have yet to have a issue, crosses fingers!

I then switched out the stock Rims and run flats for a larger (width and diameter) but lighter rim and much better rubber Yokohama Neova AD08 R

My future Upgrades are going to consist of in most likely this order
Full Suspension
UnderBrace/X Brace
Intake/Exhaust (I have my eye on the akrapovic)
Bucket Seat/Harness

Of the future listed mods did I miss anything someone would recommend? Also is there any Harness setup that does not include me losing my back seat for good?! Ive seen the Schroth application that only works with the stock seat and I really need something that keeps my hiney planted better than the stock seat.

If you have any questions of me please don't hesitate to ask!
Welcome, officially, to NAM! Button Willow and Laguna Seca are 2 I have yet to get onto yet here in Cali. How'd you like them? I heard Button is like Streets of Willow, but way more technical. How do you like the Yokohama's on the track? What rating are they? Suspension should be your next focal point. I worked from the ground up. Did all my bushings, control arms, sway bars, coils, etc. So you did the rotors, what pads are you running? Have you done SS lines and aggressive brake fluid? I run ATE Typ 200 for fluid, and love it! Zero complaints. Let me know if you have questions about brands/products for your track set up!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome, officially, to NAM! Button Willow and Laguna Seca are 2 I have yet to get onto yet here in Cali. How'd you like them? I heard Button is like Streets of Willow, but way more technical. How do you like the Yokohama's on the track? What rating are they? Suspension should be your next focal point. I worked from the ground up. Did all my bushings, control arms, sway bars, coils, etc. So you did the rotors, what pads are you running? Have you done SS lines and aggressive brake fluid? I run ATE Typ 200 for fluid, and love it! Zero complaints. Let me know if you have questions about brands/products for your track set up!
Thanks!

BW is very flat in the corner's so it took some getting used to but I enjoyed it. My current Fav is Thill 5 Mile variation, exhausting but one of a kind.

The Yoks are UTQG: 180 AA A.

The pads came as a bonus with the rotors and not sure of brand just remeber they are ceramic (take a lap or two to heat up like the tires but once there all bite) but the pair are working really well together. I am running a more aggressive brake fluid but have yet stepped up to SS brake lines and cant believe I forgot that, any reccomendations?

Thanks again for the quick response I look forward to my time here!

Old 09-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
@Pelican Parts

Almost forgot,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8...-9UkhQzqJ2D9Cw

I haven't been running the GoPro Long but it will show you both Laguna and Button Willow. At BW I was still on stock rims and Run flats so not near my best times I have friends still trying to talk me into BW this Sunday as slots are still open.. =/

Old 09-22-2015, 11:19 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerome R Jr W
Thanks!

BW is very flat in the corner's so it took some getting used to but I enjoyed it. My current Fav is Thill 5 Mile variation, exhausting but one of a kind.

The Yoks are UTQG: 180 AA A.

The pads came as a bonus with the rotors and not sure of brand just remeber they are ceramic (take a lap or two to heat up like the tires but once there all bite) but the pair are working really well together. I am running a more aggressive brake fluid but have yet stepped up to SS brake lines and cant believe I forgot that, any reccomendations?

Thanks again for the quick response I look forward to my time here!
You're welcome! I'm kind of a track rat, so I love this type of stuff. I'm working through NASA right now for my race license. Slowly, but surely as I'm racing on a budget while paying off school loans still.

I'm running Nitto NT05's and they're on their last legs. I'm looking to switch them up with my next set. Most recent track day was at ACS. Got up to 145MPH on the roval and my side numbers (painters tape) couldn't handle it. I took a progression of photos of how messed up they got. I'm on the stoptech street performance pads as I still daily the car and didn't want an obnoxious pad for the street, but man at ACS I had to push my braking point back on the "straight" because I blew the turn once as there wasn't enough bite to stop me at 145MPH. It's a pretty sharp 2nd gear corner. Brakes seriously make that much of a difference when it comes to pushing it hard. I think I run Stoptech lines, but the Goodridge DOT-Approved SS lines here are good quality lines. Lots of Porsche drivers use that brand.

I've been slacking on uploading my video. I might do it tonight though and show you. You look to have some very nice smooth lines. Some of the best drivers, if you watch their body position/language as they drive, look so relaxed and laid back. What group do you go out with for your track days? Maybe we will run into each other at some point!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
You're welcome! I'm kind of a track rat, so I love this type of stuff. I'm working through NASA right now for my race license. Slowly, but surely as I'm racing on a budget while paying off school loans still.

I'm running Nitto NT05's and they're on their last legs. I'm looking to switch them up with my next set. Most recent track day was at ACS. Got up to 145MPH on the roval and my side numbers (painters tape) couldn't handle it. I took a progression of photos of how messed up they got. I'm on the stoptech street performance pads as I still daily the car and didn't want an obnoxious pad for the street, but man at ACS I had to push my braking point back on the "straight" because I blew the turn once as there wasn't enough bite to stop me at 145MPH. It's a pretty sharp 2nd gear corner. Brakes seriously make that much of a difference when it comes to pushing it hard. I think I run Stoptech lines, but the Goodridge DOT-Approved SS lines here are good quality lines. Lots of Porsche drivers use that brand.

I've been slacking on uploading my video. I might do it tonight though and show you. You look to have some very nice smooth lines. Some of the best drivers, if you watch their body position/language as they drive, look so relaxed and laid back. What group do you go out with for your track days? Maybe we will run into each other at some point!

I run with NCRC mostly (some times HOD) and the group is dependant on the track. More technical tracks (Laguna) Ill run C but for the likes of Thill 5 mill with 5 100 MPH+ sections on the track Ill run B so Im able to enjoy the track without being passed every two corners..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Welcome to NAM!

I have turned a few laps at Laguna Seca so it was fun to see your videos. I think you are correct to prioritize suspension, after my suspension upgrade plus Michelin PSS tires I dropped my lap times by 8 sec.

You already have the tires dealt with, my recommendations for suspension:

1) fatter rear sway bar. I went with the Alta 22mm, pick your favorite there are a couple to choose from. This was an inexpensive and relatively quick DIY upgrade that made an immediate improvement and significantly reduced understeer.

2) adjustable coilovers with camber plates. This was expensive, Ohlins R&T plus Vorshlag camber plates and Helix rear control arms, but after an alignment with -2 degrees camber all around the result was incredible. The Mini really needs increased camber especially up front, and lowering the car an inch or so also has benefits. You can DIY this install, PM me or see the thread on Ohlins for details. You know how fast turn 10 at MRLS can be, my last session I was getting all the way to the limit of the PSSes and sliding all 4 wheels with complete confidence.

I have looked at the X brace from WMW but since I'm lowered a bit on the Ohlins I don't have the clearance for it. Maybe if I turn the car into a dedicated track car.

Brakes: I swapped in EBC yellow pads up front for track days, also installed the WMW stainless brake lines and Motul RBF600 fluid. The EBCs were great but I think I got to their limits last time out. I have since upgraded to the JCW brakes, and will probably run Carbotech XP12s for my next track day.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just be prepared for long term engine problems from taking it to the track. I would not mess with the suspension until you are ready to upgrade and are comfortable with how it handles now.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to NAM!

I would also recommend the Michelin PSS Summer tires as I have never had better grip with any other tires I have tried. The Hotchkis 25.5mm hollow rear sway bar is the stiffest out there and on (1 of 3 adjustments) stiffest setting your Mini will turn sharply and best of all flat turn-ins. I'm also running the Ohlins Road & Track Coilover setup with the stock top mounts and can't believe how it has changed the way my Mini handles, turning is crisp and very precise!

Using the recommendations for pre-load in the Ohlins manual my Mini dropped half an inch which is plenty enough for driving in California with all the slopes and dips, on the streets I run 13 up front and 7 in the rear. The Ohlins will absorb bumps and pot holes much better than the stock or sport suspension, also the Ohlins setup will give the the best performance while still give you a quality ride compared to other coilover setups.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 PM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Your R56 looks great! Not usually a fan of bright green, but it works well with your car!

We have a full chassis bracing bundle Here
Shoot me a message and I can save you a bit more!

And don't know if you have seen them but an awesome deal on an exhuast would be the Invidia Q300 catback. Usually retails for $645.99

Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
What size wheels/tires/ride height are you running? I really like your setup.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Welcome to NAM!

I would also recommend the Michelin PSS Summer tires as I have never had better grip with any other tires I have tried. The Hotchkis 25.5mm hollow rear sway bar is the stiffest out there and on (1 of 3 adjustments) stiffest setting your Mini will turn sharply and best of all flat turn-ins. I'm also running the Ohlins Road & Track Coilover setup with the stock top mounts and can't believe how it has changed the way my Mini handles, turning is crisp and very precise!

Using the recommendations for pre-load in the Ohlins manual my Mini dropped half an inch which is plenty enough for driving in California with all the slopes and dips, on the streets I run 13 up front and 7 in the rear. The Ohlins will absorb bumps and pot holes much better than the stock or sport suspension, also the Ohlins setup will give the the best performance while still give you a quality ride compared to other coilover setups.

Thank you for this great write up I will definatly do some research with the information provided!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Originally Posted by M7Speed
Your R56 looks great! Not usually a fan of bright green, but it works well with your car!

We have a full chassis bracing bundle Here
Shoot me a message and I can save you a bit more!

And don't know if you have seen them but an awesome deal on an exhuast would be the Invidia Q300 catback. Usually retails for $645.99
@m7, I have made many trips to your web site... Can I borrow some money?!

I only need that CF Aero SPlitter and Scoop, and rear two tier wing... =/ Ill pay for my own m7 sticker, promise, help an old veteran out!!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Jerome R Jr W
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
What size wheels/tires/ride height are you running? I really like your setup.
Link Below is the exact rim I bought, and the tire is a 205/45-17 Yokohama Neova

And I am still on stock suspension!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...dClar=Cooper+S

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/de...n_neova_ad08_r