R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How keep to Mini temperarure low.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How keep to Mini temperarure low.

Is there any way to keep the temperature low?
My is R56 N18 engine. I understand there is no way to upgrade the thermostat to a lower temp. Is there any other solutions?
Thank you

Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Club77
Is there any way to keep the temperature low? My is R56 N18 engine. I understand there is no way to upgrade the thermostat to a lower temp. Is there any other solutions? Thank you
What' is your definition of "low" and you ask for solutions. What's the problem you are having? Are you overheating? What are you running temp wise now?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
What' is your definition of "low" and you ask for solutions. What's the problem you are having? Are you overheating? What are you running temp wise now? Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
My water temp average is 105-110 degree, engine & ATF oil is about 210-220 all this reading get from my scangauge. Is there any mod or solution to lower the temp?

Old 10-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing, I think the cars would be happier about 100c, there should be a way to get a Tuner file that changes the PID for the ECU I will ask Stelois of E-TUners he knows our cars. My temps are usually about 105 until sporty-mode where it goes down to 98c have you checked for any deposits in your antifreeze. Also the reason that the engines run like this is for better efficiency with the direct injection the fuel charge actually has some cooling effect so its a bit different, and I think in mixed mode were you see about 40 mpg cruising on the highway it may be necessary. Have you ever over heated.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
I have been thinking the same thing, I think the cars would be happier about 100c, there should be a way to get a Tuner file that changes the PID for the ECU I will ask Stelois of E-TUners he knows our cars. My temps are usually about 105 until sporty-mode where it goes down to 98c have you checked for any deposits in your antifreeze. Also the reason that the engines run like this is for better efficiency with the direct injection the fuel charge actually has some cooling effect so its a bit different, and I think in mixed mode were you see about 40 mpg cruising on the highway it may be necessary. Have you ever over heated.
Touch wood so far never get over heated. As I am staying in a tropical country. The weather is always hot and it made the car run even hotter.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:00 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
What year is your N18? The 2013 N18 cars in sport mode run 175F. Other years turning on MAX A/C will do the same. Also IIRC, the Manic tune can do something similar (not attached to sport mode but always at 175F-180F).

Old 10-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
A couple of thoughts.

Without electronic manipulation you will always see the temps your running as that's where it's set to keep the car at. What you can do is change how long it stays at that temp and how long it takes to get to that temp.

You said your in tropical country. Hence no need for a full 50/50 antifreeze - water mixture. You may want to flush the coolant and do a 10/90 or 20/80 coolant to water mix. Water is a better cooling liquid but you need some antifreeze to help with lubrication and corrosion.

You can also add WATER WETTER from redline. The misnomer about this product is it reduces water temp. It doesn't. But what it does do is help transfer the heat of the engine to the cooling system and keep the engine at a lower temp longer and more evenly through the engine and cooling system. It allows the radiator to do its job more efficiently.

The other theory is that if you keep under hood temps lower your cooling system will deal with less ambient heat soak issues. The GP2 under belly splash pan has been proven to reduce under hood temps and engine temps by better controlling the air thru the inter cooler / radiator and engine compartment.

Like i said it's not the static temp that you read at your gauge but more importantly how long it stays at that temp and how well your cooling SYSTEM is doing. And I caps system for a reason cooling an engine has to do with not only coolant and a thermostat but with air flow, materials , and other things together.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
What year is your N18? The 2013 N18 cars in sport mode run 175F. Other years turning on MAX A/C will do the same. Also IIRC, the Manic tune can do something similar (not attached to sport mode but always at 175F-180F).
My is end 2010 N18.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
A couple of thoughts. Without electronic manipulation you will always see the temps your running as that's where it's set to keep the car at. What you can do is change how long it stays at that temp and how long it takes to get to that temp. You said your in tropical country. Hence no need for a full 50/50 antifreeze - water mixture. You may want to flush the coolant and do a 10/90 or 20/80 coolant to water mix. Water is a better cooling liquid but you need some antifreeze to help with lubrication and corrosion. You can also add WATER WETTER from redline. The misnomer about this product is it reduces water temp. It doesn't. But what it does do is help transfer the heat of the engine to the cooling system and keep the engine at a lower temp longer and more evenly through the engine and cooling system. It allows the radiator to do its job more efficiently. The other theory is that if you keep under hood temps lower your cooling system will deal with less ambient heat soak issues. The GP2 under belly splash pan has been proven to reduce under hood temps and engine temps by better controlling the air thru the inter cooler / radiator and engine compartment. Like i said it's not the static temp that you read at your gauge but more importantly how long it stays at that temp and how well your cooling SYSTEM is doing. And I caps system for a reason cooling an engine has to do with not only coolant and a thermostat but with air flow, materials , and other things together. Hope that helps. Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
For coolant came across afew brands : Water Wetter, Engine Ice, Motul MoCool. Wonder which one really work.
Thank you for sharing your information.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
For coolant came across afew brands : Water Wetter, Engine Ice, Motul MoCool. Wonder which one really work. Thank you for sharing your information.
I've used water wetter for years. in BMW and MIATA. and now MINI. I Prefer redline products.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My is end 2010 N18.
Eh no it isn't...2010's still have the n14.

You are looking for an answer to irrelevant question.

There is no need to lower the temp. It's just where the engineers, (that probably have a much better education in internal combustion engine emissions and efficiencies, than you do), designed it to be.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Eh no it isn't...2010's still have the n14. You are looking for an answer to irrelevant question. There is no need to lower the temp. It's just where the engineers, (that probably have a much better education in internal combustion engine emissions and efficiencies, than you do), designed it to be.
It might not be an irrelevant question depending on the OP's goals. Like you said, the engineers are designing to meet efficiency and emission standards. I believe for performance it's best to be a little cooler.

Also, don't always trust engineers, they don't always know best. There are a few examples of "what were you thinking" on the N14/N18 engines.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:37 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engineers do know best, but they are usually over ruled by pesky accountants... Unless you work at Bugatti...

If the engine is working as it should, there really is no benefit to running cooler.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
110c sounds just a bit high if you are at that temp a lot run through the standard cooling system checks. Engineers have to make choices based on many factors that are not strictly engineering also designs get changed sometimes against the original intentions it is direct injection so read up on it a bit and then if you want to make a change give it a try. I have seen a few of these heads now and they do get a bit more warpage than I would like to see, a lower temp may help prevent that among other things. Rule of thumb for race engines can be 210f so that might be a lower end temp to work towards.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Engineers do know best, but they are usually over ruled by pesky accountants...
Lol, so true.

But in 2013 they added the cooler running feature in sport mode so there has to be some benefit.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Running hotter may/should have efficiency benefits the rule I learned is you were not making hp until 210f but heat can cause more mechanical stress and so you have to weigh the pros and cons. Plus all engines are a bit different and direct injection is its own thing with three air fuel modes super lean, mixed, and regular . I think a good thing to keep in mind is that you want to manage heat and understand where it is coming from and where it is going. It would be nice to get to talk to the original designers to see what they were trying to do. Does any one know who they were?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Club77
3rd Gear
Anyone have install the ATF cooler?

Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the temperature they're designed to run at. Why do you think its a problem?

All R56 engines will run cooler if you put them under load. So the answer to your question is to flog the hell out of the engine, it'll cool down to about 80°C. The earlier versions would then immediately warm back up once the load was removed. The later versions would take about 10min for the temperature to get back up if in sport mode.

The thermostat is a two stage thermostat controlled electronically I think. I've sometimes wondered about shorting it out so its always in low temp mode, but that's to make more power, not to run cooler.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Club77
3rd Gear
Deal to the temperature in my country. The mini here get wear and tear faster and breakdown easily. Hopping to bring down temperature abit.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:06 AM
The_R_Institute
Neutral
Eh no it isn't...2010's still have the n14. You are looking for an answer to irrelevant question. There is no need to lower the temp. It's just where the engineers, (that probably have a much better education in internal combustion engine emissions and efficiencies, than you do), designed it to be.
Wrong!! These N14s run hot. This is THE issue with all the oil leaks and fried components. Under boost hot as hell oil is pushed out of seals like your oil cooler seals you just F-ing replaced a few months ago and it's back to leaking oil. You could not be more wrong about engineers as well. These motors should be running Temps of 185-200F NOT 220+! With a fan switched at 230F! - concerned 2007 R56 owner with K04 hybrid, custom intake, custom heat shield, etc..​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
AhLee Yong (03-20-2024)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:48 AM
airbusA346
1st Gear
Eh no it isn't...2010's still have the n14.

You are looking for an answer to irrelevant question.

There is no need to lower the temp. It's just where the engineers, (that probably have a much better education in internal combustion engine emissions and efficiencies, than you do), designed it to be.
Seen as someone has revived this thread...

You are wrong with regards to the engine (especially in Europe/EU). MINI fitted N14 and N18 engines in 2010 year cars. My previous Cooper S was an April 2010 build but had an N18 engine.

Old 02-13-2023, 04:47 PM
The_R_Institute
Neutral
I love this mod !!!

I simply ran a toggle into the cabin below my Ultra-Gauge which displays Engine Temp in F (U-S-A!) and then ran that switch to my Low Speed Fan Relay's negative terminal so I can ground the relay. The toggle is just a ground trigger. I kick on the low speed fan around 190F or less and run all day at 170F. My R56 with K04 hybrid pulls like a freight train and oil consumption is no longer an issue. Woohoo! Best mod I've made and I've made a lot! Cost nothing. Car runs cool and doesn't lean out at 220F anymore. Matt @the_r_institute

Last edited by The_R_Institute; 02-23-2023 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AhLee Yong (03-20-2024)
Old 02-23-2023, 03:58 PM
RjamesB8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by The_R_Institute
I simply ran a toggle into the cabin below my Ultra-Gauge which displays Engine Temp in F (U-S-A!) and then ran that switch to my Low Speed Fan Relay's negative terminal so I can ground the relay. The toggle is just a ground trigger. I kick on the low speed fan around 190F or less and run all day at 170F. My R56 with K04 hybrid pulls like a freight train and oil consumption is no longer an issue. Woohoo! Best mod I've made and I've made a lot! Cost nothing. Car runs cool and doesn't lean out at 220F no more. Matt @the_r_institute
Wow can I pay you to set something like this up for me? You on the west coast? My car runs warm during rush hour (which is inescapable) and it freaks me the F out. I'm going to try Water Wetter and look into that GP2 pan mentioned above in the meantime, but am afraid I need either a tune to run cooler or better yet just a straight up switch to turn the fans on myself.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:17 PM
The_R_Institute
Neutral
Originally Posted by RjamesB8
Wow can I pay you to set something like this up for me? You on the west coast? My car runs warm during rush hour (which is inescapable) and it freaks me the F out. I'm going to try Water Wetter and look into that GP2 pan mentioned above in the meantime, but am afraid I need either a tune to run cooler or better yet just a straight up switch to turn the fans on myself.
go to my instagram and message me about this i can walk you through it. I'd help you free but im located in the Philadelphia area.

Also, I have normal oil consumption now!!! Oh and no oil leaks!! I love the car now.

Next, i'm going to run a little E85 to clean up my combustion chamber.

I can sit in traffic all day cool as a cucumber.

Matt.
@the_r_institute

Old 02-23-2023, 04:44 PM
RjamesB8
1st Gear
Right on sir! I'll give you a shout.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 How keep to Mini temperarure low.