R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Got a letter from MINI--part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
sneal46
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a letter from MINI--part 2

Today, an envelope arrived in the mail. It was the invoice from MINI Las Vegas. They finally sent me the details on what was done to the car while they had it for the "recall" heat shield and timing chain.

"Inspected timing chain tensioner found 1 and determined it needed replacement. After removing the tensioner the chain measurement was 70.43mm and needed replacement.
Removed and replaced the timing chain using recall kit. Upon replacing timing chain found timing chain guide rails broken. Removed oil pan and removed guide rail debris from pan. Sealed and reinstalled oil pan then replaced filter and filled with new oil."

Ok, so after picking up the car several weeks ago... none of the findings were relayed to me. In fact, I asked the maintenance supervisor if the oil was changed and he said no.

I find it disturbing that this amount of work was done to the car without any disclosure of the findings when I picked up the car. Do they think we are all "newbies" when it comes to cars? Has anyone else received this non-attention to detail when picking up their car?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. I'm still skeptical that they even measured mine as I had installed the updated tensioner myself a week or 2 prior to bringing it in. My invoice simply said "checked tensioner, new part number is installed, no work needed". I had to call and ASK if they measured it to which he said "Hold on i'll ask the tech who did the work" then came back and told me that they DID measure it and mine was the least stretched they'd seen yet and did not need any replacement. So you want me to believe that you actually measured it but didn't write that down or give any measurements on my paper work? I call BS. I say they didn't go any further than checking the tensioner but told me some BS measurement when I called to shut down my inquiry.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM
sneal46
1st Gear
These are the types of things that give dealership techs a black eye. Is it so much to ask to simply do your job correctly?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sneal46
.. Ok, so after picking up the car several weeks ago... none of the findings were relayed to me. In fact, I asked the maintenance supervisor if the oil was changed and he said no.

I find it disturbing that this amount of work was done to the car without any disclosure of the findings when I picked up the car. Do they think we are all "newbies" when it comes to cars? Has anyone else received this non-attention to detail when picking up their car?
What I find disturbing is .. why didn't YOU ask for the invoice when YOU picked up the car? I would never in a million years walk out of a dealership without an invoice in hand, showing what they "did" to my car.

You did. Honestly, I feel for you because it's a stink situation to be in .. but at the same time, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did a pretty "newbie" thing.

I had my 07 MCS in the dealership for the same things, + a walnut blast. They had my car for an entire week since my work schedule made it impossible for me to pick up my car sooner. Excellent communication the entire way through from my SA. They called me with updates while the car was in, and when I picked it up it was washed and ready to go. Invoice even reflected a decent discount on the walnut blast. My SA didn't go over the invoice with me though. I read it and everything we had spoken about over the phone was on the invoice, so I didn't find it necessary.

Still kind of that you left without an invoice in hand. What a no-no.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by babysarah
What I find disturbing is .. why didn't YOU ask for the invoice when YOU picked up the car? I would never in a million years walk out of a dealership without an invoice in hand, showing what they "did" to my car.

You did. Honestly, I feel for you because it's a stink situation to be in .. but at the same time, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did a pretty "newbie" thing.

I had my 07 MCS in the dealership for the same things, + a walnut blast. They had my car for an entire week since my work schedule made it impossible for me to pick up my car sooner. Excellent communication the entire way through from my SA. They called me with updates while the car was in, and when I picked it up it was washed and ready to go. Invoice even reflected a decent discount on the walnut blast. My SA didn't go over the invoice with me though. I read it and everything we had spoken about over the phone was on the invoice, so I didn't find it necessary.

what's a walnut blast? sorry for interrupting!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
still kind of That you left without an invoice in hand. What a no-no.
+1

Old 11-26-2013, 11:06 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldilocks
what's a walnut blast? sorry for interrupting!
They use a media blaster with crushed walnut shells to media blast the built up carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rodhot
just like hospitals when your insured, they pile on the $$$$ as the insurance pays or the car company, in the end overcharges will come bace to bit the consumer in the asxxxxx
OP didn't say anything about over-charges. It was his invoice from having recall/service campaign work done - $0 to us MINI owners whose MINI's fall under the campaigns .. ..

Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
OP didn't say anything about over-charges. It was his invoice from having recall/service campaign work done - $0 to us MINI owners whose MINI's fall under the campaigns .. ..
Originally Posted by rodhot
just like hospitals when your insured, they pile on the $$$$ as the insurance pays or the car company, in the end overcharges will come bace to bit the consumer in the asxxxxx
Yeah, but even if it's recall work and didn't cost me a dime, I still need an invoice or a work order that tells me exactly what they did to the car. The dealerships have to be able to track time and use of parts / resources to cover their butts. MINI owners need paperwork from the dealership to cover theirs.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
sneal46
1st Gear

I live 90 miles from the dealer. They said the car was all set and ready to pick up. I arranged to get driven to the dealer during my sons baseball tournament in LV that weekend. When I get to the dealer (on a Saturday), the service manager says that the tech had not yet totaled up the hours and details of the work completed. So I ask the service manager:
1. What was done to the car?
2. Anything notable seen?
3. Did you take pictures of the parts that were replaced per my request?(N0)
4. Was the oil changed? (no)

So my choices were to ask these questions in hopes of getting credible/accurate answers in lieu of paperwork that was not finished or wait 5 hours for the paperwork to be completed. (service manager quote).

I chose not to wait. I took the car with me and based on the conversation with the service manager, the only things done were those needed per the "recall". Obviously the man has no control over his service techs nor does he talk to them about work completed. Otherwise the answers to my above questions would have been accurate.

Again, if these people were doing their job correctly/honestly, then a verbal discussion should be enough. The paperwork should be the formality.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:58 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
.. MINI owners need paperwork from the dealership to cover theirs.
YOU ARE RIGHT! Which is EXACTLY why a person, such as the OP, should NEVER walk out of a dealership without an invoice in hand showing what was done to their car! Did you not read his original post? You really should ..

3. Did you take pictures of the parts that were replaced per my request?(N0)
Have you ever been to a dealership for service work? Dealer tech's do NOT keep cameras on hand to take pictures just for you. That is absolutely not their job - that is not the job of ANY dealer tech. You requested something that most dealerships won't do. Is there a reason why you need photos? If you need to verify the work done to your car, hop online. You can easily pull photos to compare of what the old MINI turbo heat shield looks like, and what the new one that was put on your car looks like. Same with the tensioner. The differences are night and day between the old and new. Google it. You could definitely have asked to keep them if you needed to, but asking for photos is a bit unrealistic for dealerships.

the service manager says that the tech had not yet totaled up the hours and details of the work completed ...

... nor does he talk to them about work completed
A bit contradictory, good sir.

If the service manager told you up front his tech had not yet written up the details of the work completed, then why exactly are you upset that he did not provide you with a "disclosure of findings?" Without that work order, there are no details to provide, he didn't work on your car and unless you had called to check in on it, he had no reason to check in on it.

Can't exactly trust a guy when he says, "no, I do not yet have the work order from my tech so I don't know the details of what was done to your car," but somehow he knows the oil was changed? C'mon dude. How can you trust him to know the oil wasn't changed, if he just admitted to not having a work order with the details?

It doesn't even matter .. YOU had recall work done. You knew they should have changed the oil per your request, but then the service manager told you they DIDN'T change the oil. The service manager also HONESTLY told you he didn't even have all the details from his tech yet! .. and yet you STILL drove away without an invoice in hand!

Tisk tisk.

According to what I read from the "letter" you posted, all of the appropriate recall work was completed by the tech and they changed your oil. If a service manager had told me it would've taken 5 hours to draft an invoice, I'd have demanded a General Manager. You drove 90 miles to pick up your car because they said it was ready, just to leave with absolutely NO details about what was done.

In my opinion, no completed invoice = NOT ready!

You took a heck of a chance walking out of a dealership without a detailed invoice showing what was done to your car, especially when you needed to make a 90 mile trek back home. MINI's mistake was claiming 5 hours to complete an invoice, your mistake was letting it happen.

Last edited by babysarah; 11-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 AM
sneal46
1st Gear
The photo request was made because the SM had already stated he would not allow me to see or keep the replaced parts "per recall protocol". So short of standing beside the tech who worked on it, there was no tangible way to verify that the tensioner was replaced. Words on a paper mean nothing. Every other mechanic I deal with will at least show the old parts before discarding.

As for the other issues... we will have to agree to disagree. They knew the situation I was in and where I was coming from to get the car. If it wasn't ready (including paperwork) then don't ask me to come get the car. At that point I was committed to leaving.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:36 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
The photo request was made because the SM had already stated he would not allow me to see or keep the replaced parts "per recall protocol".
This is true. The old parts replaced under the recall need to go back to MINI I believe. For what? Who knows. They say to inspect, but I do image for statistics if anything.

Either way, it's your car. It's an expensive investment. SA's and SM's don't work on our cars. What's written on paper might not mean anything to you, but what's written on that invoice is PER THE TECH and that means everything to me.

Hope you consider it a lesson learned. On the contrary, I'd also put up a fuss with the dealership about making an hour trip out there when your vehicle wasn't actually ready. That's not cool.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
This is true. The old parts replaced under the recall need to go back to MINI I believe. For what? Who knows. They say to inspect, but I do image for statistics if anything.

Either way, it's your car. It's an expensive investment. SA's and SM's don't work on our cars. What's written on paper might not mean anything to you, but what's written on that invoice is PER THE TECH and that means everything to me.

Hope you consider it a lesson learned. On the contrary, I'd also put up a fuss with the dealership about making an hour trip out there when your vehicle wasn't actually ready. That's not cool.
I'm willing to bet they require the old part prior to payment. How better to verify the dealers aren't defrauding you? It's a common problem with corporations. If they didn't require the old part, some dealers with less scruples would charge out a lot of work but not replace anything and sell the new parts on the side.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
YOU ARE RIGHT! Which is EXACTLY why a person, such as the OP, should NEVER walk out of a dealership without an invoice in hand showing what was done to their car! Did you not read his original post? You really should ..

Have you ever been to a dealership for service work? Dealer tech's do NOT keep cameras on hand to take pictures just for you. That is absolutely not their job - that is not the job of ANY dealer tech. You requested something that most dealerships won't do. Is there a reason why you need photos? If you need to verify the work done to your car, hop online. You can easily pull photos to compare of what the old MINI turbo heat shield looks like, and what the new one that was put on your car looks like. Same with the tensioner. The differences are night and day between the old and new. Google it. You could definitely have asked to keep them if you needed to, but asking for photos is a bit unrealistic for dealerships.

A bit contradictory, good sir.

If the service manager told you up front his tech had not yet written up the details of the work completed, then why exactly are you upset that he did not provide you with a "disclosure of findings?" Without that work order, there are no details to provide, he didn't work on your car and unless you had called to check in on it, he had no reason to check in on it.

Can't exactly trust a guy when he says, "no, I do not yet have the work order from my tech so I don't know the details of what was done to your car," but somehow he knows the oil was changed? C'mon dude. How can you trust him to know the oil wasn't changed, if he just admitted to not having a work order with the details?

It doesn't even matter .. YOU had recall work done. You knew they should have changed the oil per your request, but then the service manager told you they DIDN'T change the oil. The service manager also HONESTLY told you he didn't even have all the details from his tech yet! .. and yet you STILL drove away without an invoice in hand!

Tisk tisk.

According to what I read from the "letter" you posted, all of the appropriate recall work was completed by the tech and they changed your oil. If a service manager had told me it would've taken 5 hours to draft an invoice, I'd have demanded a General Manager. You drove 90 miles to pick up your car because they said it was ready, just to leave with absolutely NO details about what was done.

In my opinion, no completed invoice = NOT ready!

You took a heck of a chance walking out of a dealership without a detailed invoice showing what was done to your car, especially when you needed to make a 90 mile trek back home. MINI's mistake was claiming 5 hours to complete an invoice, your mistake was letting it happen.
How are you going to verify the timing chain tensioner or assembly has been replaced? It's not out in plain site and is quite a pain just to check and make sure it was done.
I don't think its unreasonable to ask for pictures, most insurance companies/ body shops offer this now. This isn't the 1950's and you can definitely not trust all dealerships/ mechanics.