R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Crashed my mini :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed my mini :(

Rear ended an SUV after a chain of lock ups in front of me. Tried to swerve left but it was too late, the SUV in front of me came to a dead stop from 65. Weirdly enough no airbags deployed. Which is kind of scary.

It wouldnt drive after. Maybe cause the turbo is destroyed? I am hoping it gets totaled out, but it's doubtful as it's as 2012. any insight into the totaling process?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
ouch! looks pretty bad and surprise the air bags didn't deploy. Hope everyone made it out of there ok.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aznqtboy984
ouch! looks pretty bad and surprise the air bags didn't deploy. Hope everyone made it out of there ok.
I will say I am shocked that the didn't deploy. The only occupant was me and I am fine a little sore this morning, but fine none the less. The SUV driver was fine as well which is all that matters. Thank you!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Black Sharpie
I will say I am shocked that the didn't deploy. The only occupant was me and I am fine a little sore this morning, but fine none the less. The SUV driver was fine as well which is all that matters. Thank you!
I am sorry. I am glad you are here to post, though! In DC this past week I saw someone's tiny red mini on the opposite highway had been cratered and smoke was pouring out of it. There was no way to get there!

I am surprised, also, that your airbags didn't deploy.

Glad you are ok.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Danske
2nd Gear
Looks like no suspension damage. I bet it gets fixed. Couple body panels, few engine components and paint is probably what you will get. That is tough being owner of a 2012 nice looking car like that.

I had similar situation with a mini van, in the end I was really impressed with the repairs. I used the vehicle several years with no problems, paint matched. I hope it works out as good for you.

As for the air bag, I know there is some logic as to when the deploy. Interesting to hear what it takes to deploy one.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is curious about the airbags...and I noticed that the bumper isn't deformed at all or didn't take any of the impact. Perhaps that played a part?

Sorry for your misfortune, thankfully no substantial human injuries.

Likely not totalled...as others have said. As a 2012 it still has a lot of value, what's bent/ruined will be costly, but your car's still worth a lot at this point.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox
That is curious about the airbags...and I noticed that the bumper isn't deformed at all or didn't take any of the impact. Perhaps that played a part?

Sorry for your misfortune, thankfully no substantial human injuries.

Likely not totalled...as others have said. As a 2012 it still has a lot of value, what's bent/ruined will be costly, but your car's still worth a lot at this point.
If this is true, then in some ways it's good that the bags didn't deploy--I hear (could be waaay off) they are very pricey to replace and sometimes aren't replaced by top quality items.

Good luck to you. My heart aches seeing your car and knowing what you are going through.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Rear ended an SUV after a chain of lock ups in front of me. Tried to swerve left but it was too late, the SUV in front of me came to a dead stop from 65. Weirdly enough no airbags deployed. Which is kind of scary.

It wouldnt drive after. Maybe cause the turbo is destroyed? I am hoping it gets totaled out, but it's doubtful as it's as 2012. any insight into the totaling process?
I feel like most cars have airbag sensors at bumper level. Also you hit on the right corner with no passenger so I would guess the car had disabled the passenger airbag.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
BJM
3rd Gear
It looks like the vehicle went right under the rear bumper. The hood area got a glancing blow. I don't see any damage to the quarter panel or the front bumper. I bet the airbag sensors are in those area and didn't get triggered.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone for the very kind words.

The way I hit the SUV all the damage is above the bumper and into the engine bay. The fenders are bowed out and the passenger door wont open because of that.

The car started and went into gear but would not move at all. Don't know why. I had to leave it and walk to the side of the road

Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone else about since the bumper isnt destroyed is why the airbags didnt go off. Also be glad they didnt go off cause it sucks being hit by one. Ask me how I know. Not a good time. Was the only "injury" (burn on my forearm) that I had from the accident. The airbag also blew my glasses off my face and underneath some things I had in the back seat. Its also not totaled cause theres maybe 10k worth of damage to it. Just be sure to inspect it pretty well after you get it back and the following days afterwards to make sure everything is good.

I am curious as to why the car wouldnt move though afterwards. That sounds weird.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bummer man, how does the driver's side headlight look though? Is it scratched enough to get a new one and pass the used one along to a member here? Hint hint me!!!

Glad you are fine and now maybe you can get a JCW front bumper for a slight price difference or they will fix the existing one as it looks pretty good.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Ouch!! At least you're okay! How many miles are on it?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
airbags didn't deploy because your decceleration wasn't sudden enough to cause the sensor to deploy the bags. And it wasn't sudden enough because it was an off-center impact.

Your swerving to attempt to avoid is what may keep your MINI from being totaled. Airbag replacement almost always = Total Loss.

Good luck with your claim. Very glad there were no serious injuries !

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Bummer man, how does the driver's side headlight look though? Is it scratched enough to get a new one and pass the used one along to a member here? Hint hint me!!!

Glad you are fine and now maybe you can get a JCW front bumper for a slight price difference or they will fix the existing one as it looks pretty good.
Haha the drivers side headlight is good but the lens is full of water from the moisture this morning.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Ouch!! At least you're okay! How many miles are on it?
18,000 fresh oil change on Saturday too!

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
airbags didn't deploy because your decceleration wasn't sudden enough to cause the sensor to deploy the bags. And it wasn't sudden enough because it was an off-center impact.

Your swerving to attempt to avoid is what may keep your MINI from being totaled. Airbag replacement almost always = Total Loss.

Good luck with your claim. Very glad there were no serious injuries !
Thank you very much! The adjuster is supposed to call today I imagine. Ill keep the thread posted.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Do I really get to be the first to say it??.....Ahh..that will buff right out (carry over from my VWVOrtex days).

Good luck with the car -- and give thanks that you are just a little bit sore. BUT if the soreness doesn't go away in a few days don't hesitate to go see someone and get checked out.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
dustint
2nd Gear
Man, I wouldn't want a car back that had that type of damage to it. Press them to total it. There's no telling whats happening in the engine. heck, maybe all the oil drained out...

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dustint
Man, I wouldn't want a car back that had that type of damage to it. Press them to total it. There's no telling whats happening in the engine. heck, maybe all the oil drained out...
Oil change job along with the repairs !

Imagine how you'd feel if someone else was at fault instead of yourself and your vehicle was repairable with extensive damages and not totaled.

And keep in mind, an insurance company can make a business decision to total a vehicle that is mathematically repairable. But they can't make a vehicle repairable that is mathematically considered a total. Each State sets parameters for considering a vehicle a "total" and when the state mandated threshold is met, the insurance company has to total the vehicle or face heavy fines by the State's regulators.

Having said that, an insurer is not going to total a vehicle that can be repaired well under the threshold of a total loss. If they did that, you and I and everyone else would pay higher premiums.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
dustint
2nd Gear
Oil change job along with the repairs !

Imagine how you'd feel if someone else was at fault instead of yourself and your vehicle was repairable with extensive damages and not totaled. .
Yup, I went through that in July. I made them total it. I wasn't going to take it back. No way.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So sorry about the horrible mishap but glad you're okay.

[/QUOTE]

Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Peanut butter and Jelly (above lol) is the insurance expert here.
Each state does have a threshold as a percentage of the book value.
You are not near that (75-90 percent usually).

Of course each adjuster can be different and he factors in how much
the car can be sold for as a salvage as part of the equation.

There are people out there that pay good money for salvage vehicles then
repair them for their livelyhood.

With all that said I doubt very much it is totaled.

I'm glad you and everybody is OK.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
PB&J ?!

Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
PB&J ?!
Now that is hilarious.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
PB&J ?!
That is what I read when I see your screenname. I know it isn't but you know how if you spend a long enough time on here you begin to make faces or draw generalizations about people. Eventually you meet them at MOTD or something and are way blown away or you are spot on...it's a fun little game.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Then you would be surprised to meet me. I look nothing like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Quick Reply: R56 Crashed my mini :(