R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 iPod Input Sound Quality??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:17 AM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Input Sound Quality??

I've found that when I connect my iPod/iPhone to the car, there is a lot of distortion in the audio compared to regular radio. I've also tried the cable from my 3 series, so I know it's not a cable issue. Anyone with a similar experience?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 AM
dustint
2nd Gear
Have you adjusted the input volume? That could easily be the cause. Check the manual for the procedure, it's very easy.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It is the cable, it's just as finicky as when I had my 335i. Wiggling the y-cable and what not will probably solve the problem.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I found that if I put the EQ on the iPod to base reducer it gets rid of the distorition. Whatever you have the EQ set to on the iPod is doubled by the EQ on the stock stereo.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
after trying a couple of different cables I ended up spending about 30 minutes trying different combinations of high/low of the input versus the Ipod and eventually got things to work.

My aux-vol is set to 4 on the scale of 1 to 6 .... I have the standard radio .... then I played with Ipod vol vs radio volume at the vol ****

I don't actualy use an Ipod much in the car but use a NANO when I do. A friend uses hos all the time and was the one who convinced me it really could work!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
thunderball kaboom
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
For me, it was the phone causing the feedback. Search amazon for a fiiO L10 20- inch iPhone/iPod adapter that plugs into the aux port via the dock connector rather then the earphone plug. About $15. Better sound than the earphone port and no distortion.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thunderball kaboom
For me, it was the phone causing the feedback. Search amazon for a fiiO L10 20- inch iPhone/iPod adapter that plugs into the aux port via the dock connector rather then the earphone plug. About $15. Better sound than the earphone port and no distortion.
I agree, I have the same cable from Amazon and it's great! The line-level output from the dock connector is so much cleaner, plus no fooling with the volume, just plug in and go!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dustint
Have you adjusted the input volume? That could easily be the cause. Check the manual for the procedure, it's very easy.
Will check back and report... thanks!

Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
It is the cable, it's just as finicky as when I had my 335i. Wiggling the y-cable and what not will probably solve the problem.
definitely not the cable. Tried both from my 335 and MCS, but they work fine in the 335. Thanks though!

Originally Posted by Scooter09
I found that if I put the EQ on the iPod to base reducer it gets rid of the distorition. Whatever you have the EQ set to on the iPod is doubled by the EQ on the stock stereo.
will try this too! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
after trying a couple of different cables I ended up spending about 30 minutes trying different combinations of high/low of the input versus the Ipod and eventually got things to work.

My aux-vol is set to 4 on the scale of 1 to 6 .... I have the standard radio .... then I played with Ipod vol vs radio volume at the vol ****

I don't actualy use an Ipod much in the car but use a NANO when I do. A friend uses hos all the time and was the one who convinced me it really could work!
I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

Originally Posted by thunderball kaboom
If all of the above fails, I'll know what to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
The fancy Ipod special cable is probably the way to go if you plan to use this much, but for me, a NANO does not have a docking connection and like I said I don't use it much so I'm NOT going to upgrade my MP for the car.

but I'd note that I can plug my NANO into either of my Honda's factory AUX port with the same cable (or my KIA or my Nissan) and everything sounds fine . . . . b4 any hunting for the ONE combination of settings that works

I only mention this since we suspect/wish MINI corporate reads stuff here as a source of customer feedback