R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Way's Customer Service and first thoughts on Invidia

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
TheFunnyguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way's Customer Service and first thoughts on Invidia

So I bought the Invidia Q300 from Way during his free shipping event. Firstly I can't praise Way enough for his outstanding customer service and very quick responses. When I ordered the exhaust and sent an email asking about shipping, he responded almost immediately. A little over a week had gone by and I still had not received the exhaust from Invidia. I emailed Way again and again received a response from him in what seemed like minutes saying that apparently Invidia had sold out of the exhausts and failed to inform Way of this. Way however directly contacted Invidia and emailed me saying that I would have it no later than Thursday. It's service like this that it so hard to come by these days. I know that my praise for Way and his staff will just be added to the long list that already exists, but I had to share.

Now on to the fun stuff...I installed the Invidia Q300 exhaust and NM Engineering Torque Arm Bushing Insert today and all I can say is WOW! I have listened to all of the clips on YouTube and can honestly say none of them do this exhaust justice. It really sounds and looks spectacular! The exhaust is so much throatier than stock. Install was very straight forward and took about 45 minutes. The NM took 5 minutes to install and really is a must have mod. It really makes the Mini feel like it should from the factory...again this has been said time and time again.

For anyone that is still on the fence about either of these, just do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah you had good service this time. Don't hold your breath for any better.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yeah you had good service this time. Don't hold your breath for any better.
I've had nothing but superior customer service from Way and WMW. I think at last count, I've placed 6 separate orders with WMW and all aspects of each transaction have exceeded my demanding expectations. I'll definitely order from again in the future.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
It is no surprise that you received excellent customer service from Way. He is consistently at the top of the vendor reviews on NAM.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep Way is the best! Any time I have talked to him, he's made me feel as though I'm his only customer.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have had only exceptional service dealing with Way and his staff over the past four plus years. MOST times if someone gives quality customer service, it goes un-noticed but in the case of WMW, 99.99999 percent of the time it's great service!!! Testament after testament indicating this fact shows throughout mini forums. Okay, now I'll step down off the soap box and get back to my usual daily routine.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Hmmm yeah good luck with that. I learned my lesson and moved on.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm yeah good luck with that. I learned my lesson and moved on.

Rather then just posting pointless vague replies, why don't you explain how way somehow pissed in your cheerios for us?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Ta87
3rd Gear
^That's too much work. Haha I mean, obviously a number of the board share the same pleasure dealing w/ WMW. What happened to you, Porthos?

Once I get settled in, I'm planning on picking one up! Sounds like they're pretty helpful.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ta87
^That's too much work. Haha I mean, obviously a number of the board share the same pleasure dealing w/ WMW. What happened to you, Porthos?

Once I get settled in, I'm planning on picking one up! Sounds like they're pretty helpful.

I won't even ask what problem was created with Way in the above post but I did find it odd to say "I've moved on". Makes me think otherwise. Anyway, I've heard the invidia, sounded pretty good. I wanted the nm exhaust but seems even the updated version is still problematic for some.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
When I get some time I will post what happened.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am either going to get the Q300 or the exhaust depot kit.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Three posts since midnight about your experience and yet no full story....

Kinda like the sequential "Berma-Shave Billboards" along the old Route 66.......

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
TheFunnyguy
1st Gear
I had been looking at exhausts for quite a while, the free shipping was enough to make me try the Invidia. I'm going to stick to this one for a while and then may look into the Akrapovic...those carbon tips make my mouth water!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Three posts since midnight about your experience and yet no full story....

Kinda like the sequential "Berma-Shave Billboards" along the old Route 66.......
Fine you want to know. I will take the time to type it out on my phone. I was going to wait till I got to my computer. So since you all are impatient I apologize if there are any typos.

I went to Way in Atlanta in January of 2011 to have him install my Koni yellows, NM springs, and an OS Giken clutch. I drove on it for about a month before going to Afghan for 6 months. While I was gone my father drove the car about twice a month, he maybe put a 1k miles on it. When I got back it was still breaking and I continued to drive on it conservatively. Well in Feb of 2012 the throw out bearing arm snapped in half. Well I took the car to the dealership because I was 6hr away from Atlanta. Well I contacted OS Giken , Way, and had the dealership send pictures to both of them. I also mailed the clutch to OS Giken for them to look it over to make sure it was not a manufacture default. Well it was not clutch was fine OS found that Way had reused the pressure plate bolts and the dealership found nothing was greased properly. Well after all of this I went on an email string with Way asking for help and what he could do. Well I was pretty much told by him he was not going to help. So I lost out almost 5 grand between the OS clutch and the replacement clutch. Yeah he does not back up his work and could careless about you after he gets his money.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Fine you want to know. I will take the time to type it out on my phone. I was going to wait till I got to my computer. So since you all are impatient I apologize if there are any typos.

I went to Way in Atlanta in January of 2011 to have him install my Koni yellows, NM springs, and an OS Giken clutch. I drove on it for about a month before going to Afghan for 6 months. While I was gone my father drove the car about twice a month, he maybe put a 1k miles on it. When I got back it was still breaking and I continued to drive on it conservatively. Well in Feb of 2012 the throw out bearing arm snapped in half. Well I took the car to the dealership because I was 6hr away from Atlanta. Well I contacted OS Giken , Way, and had the dealership send pictures to both of them. I also mailed the clutch to OS Giken for them to look it over to make sure it was not a manufacture default. Well it was not clutch was fine OS found that Way had reused the pressure plate bolts and the dealership found nothing was greased properly. Well after all of this I went on an email string with Way asking for help and what he could do. Well I was pretty much told by him he was not going to help. So I lost out almost 5 grand between the OS clutch and the replacement clutch. Yeah he does not back up his work and could careless about you after he gets his money.
Well, that truly does suck. Don't think I can blame you for feeling how you do. Sounds like a legitimate concern. I must say, in my endorsement of Way and WMW, I've only ever purchased parts, never had any work done. Would love to hear the other side to this.

It has been said, “A customer who gets good service will tell one person, yet a customer who gets bad service will tell 10 people.”

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Short Wait
I won't even ask what problem was created with Way in the above post but I did find it odd to say "I've moved on". Makes me think otherwise. Anyway, I've heard the invidia, sounded pretty good. I wanted the nm exhaust but seems even the updated version is still problematic for some.
The fact that he has moved on, does not mean that he feels less a need to warn others. Just my interpretation.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
The fact that he has moved on, does not mean that he feels less a need to warn others. Just my interpretation.
Still "Moving On" in my interpretation means just that. Let's get back to the topic at hand and I'm moving on. LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Lets start the whole Porthos story from the beginning. In Jan 2011 he brought his R56 for an OS Giken clutch kit, and NM springs. Our original plan was to do it all in one day. We did the springs first, and then did the clutch. We put the car all back together and then found that the flywheel didn’t turn. The car was not drivable and it was like 8pm at night. But he needed to go home asap. So I loaned him one of my MINI Coopers to drive back to Jacksonville FL. The next day we found out that OS had been making the flywheels thinner than the stock so the stock flywheel bolts were 3mm too long. OS didn’t have the shorter bolts for us and had only ran into this problem once before. So we searched all around to find 9mm fine thread bolts that where 3mm shorter. Let me tell you they are not avail except to have them special made for $6 a bolt and 2 weeks waiting. So we ended up cutting all the bolts 3mm shorter and reinstalling the OS clutch kit. Mind we just did the entire job a 2nd time no charge to the customer as it was not his fault. Then that next weekend I had my girlfriend drive and deliver his car back to him in Jacksonville and bring back my car at no cost to him.
Then in Feb 2012 he contacted me telling me that he had clutch problems and it was really hard, and something had fallen from under the dash. He then had done something and pushed real hard and ended up being able to drive it from where it was. The car had then been taken to the dealer and they said the clutch was failed. I informed him that this was odd and had not seen one fail like that. A couple days later I got pics of the clutch out of the car as the clutch fork was broken in half. Again that is odd and 2 bolts broken on the pressure plate?? I talked to OS and they were also surprised and said that if it was a problem with their part they would warranty it, but would have to see it in person. So he sent them the clutch kit. They looked it over and said nothing wrong with the clutch or pressure plate except the broken bolts. They said the clutch had not failed. OS and I then determined that clutch for had broken first and that had jammed against the flywheel or just caused extra pressure breaking the bolts on the pressure plate. The clutch fork was the original clutch fork and was not replaced when we did the clutch, there was no need for it. Then the customer started to blame WMW for not looking at it?? Well I personally had looked at it as the OS clutch kit has very specific instructions on mounting the throw out bearing to it. So I know there was no visual damage or cracks to the fork. In the pictures the customer sent of the broken fork when they removed it showed the throw out bearing still in the correct position. So that wasn’t the cause either. Fact is the fork is made from stamped steel and just broke. Could the stiffer clutch have some effect?? Possibly, but that is not WMW’s fault. Customer wanted us to pay for him having to install new clutch kit a year later and per his email somewhere less than 10k miles later. Both way too long from the initial install for it to have been caused by us doing anything wrong. If we had done something wrong it would have been broke before getting back to FL. We refused to pay anything for that and now the customer holds a grudge.
FYI in May 2012 we had a bone stock R56 come in with a broken clutch fork exactly like this one, stock clutch and all. I emailed the customer to let him know we had seen another one so he would know it wasn’t something we or even he had done wrong, just a weak part.
As for the comments about us reusing the pressure plate bolts and not lubing. LIES. You can’t reuse stock pressure plate bolts on the OS clutch. And lube? You only put a hair of lube on the guide tube for the throw out bearing, anymore in the housing will attract dirt and do more harm than good. That’s the story. Lesson is we can’t please everyone.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Lets start the whole Porthos story from the beginning. In Jan 2011 he brought his R56 for an OS Giken clutch kit, and NM springs. Our original plan was to do it all in one day. We did the springs first, and then did the clutch. We put the car all back together and then found that the flywheel didn’t turn. The car was not drivable and it was like 8pm at night. But he needed to go home asap. So I loaned him one of my MINI Coopers to drive back to Jacksonville FL. The next day we found out that OS had been making the flywheels thinner than the stock so the stock flywheel bolts were 3mm too long. OS didn’t have the shorter bolts for us and had only ran into this problem once before. So we searched all around to find 9mm fine thread bolts that where 3mm shorter. Let me tell you they are not avail except to have them special made for $6 a bolt and 2 weeks waiting. So we ended up cutting all the bolts 3mm shorter and reinstalling the OS clutch kit. Mind we just did the entire job a 2nd time no charge to the customer as it was not his fault. Then that next weekend I had my girlfriend drive and deliver his car back to him in Jacksonville and bring back my car at no cost to him.
Then in Feb 2012 he contacted me telling me that he had clutch problems and it was really hard, and something had fallen from under the dash. He then had done something and pushed real hard and ended up being able to drive it from where it was. The car had then been taken to the dealer and they said the clutch was failed. I informed him that this was odd and had not seen one fail like that. A couple days later I got pics of the clutch out of the car as the clutch fork was broken in half. Again that is odd and 2 bolts broken on the pressure plate?? I talked to OS and they were also surprised and said that if it was a problem with their part they would warranty it, but would have to see it in person. So he sent them the clutch kit. They looked it over and said nothing wrong with the clutch or pressure plate except the broken bolts. They said the clutch had not failed. OS and I then determined that clutch for had broken first and that had jammed against the flywheel or just caused extra pressure breaking the bolts on the pressure plate. The clutch fork was the original clutch fork and was not replaced when we did the clutch, there was no need for it. Then the customer started to blame WMW for not looking at it?? Well I personally had looked at it as the OS clutch kit has very specific instructions on mounting the throw out bearing to it. So I know there was no visual damage or cracks to the fork. In the pictures the customer sent of the broken fork when they removed it showed the throw out bearing still in the correct position. So that wasn’t the cause either. Fact is the fork is made from stamped steel and just broke. Could the stiffer clutch have some effect?? Possibly, but that is not WMW’s fault. Customer wanted us to pay for him having to install new clutch kit a year later and per his email somewhere less than 10k miles later. Both way too long from the initial install for it to have been caused by us doing anything wrong. If we had done something wrong it would have been broke before getting back to FL. We refused to pay anything for that and now the customer holds a grudge.
FYI in May 2012 we had a bone stock R56 come in with a broken clutch fork exactly like this one, stock clutch and all. I emailed the customer to let him know we had seen another one so he would know it wasn’t something we or even he had done wrong, just a weak part.
As for the comments about us reusing the pressure plate bolts and not lubing. LIES. You can’t reuse stock pressure plate bolts on the OS clutch. And lube? You only put a hair of lube on the guide tube for the throw out bearing, anymore in the housing will attract dirt and do more harm than good. That’s the story. Lesson is we can’t please everyone.
Good for you and that is exactly why I don't deal with you anymore.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now boys.... If the thread keeps this up I will be IBTL

Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Ta87
3rd Gear
hahahaha

Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
A shop lets a guy borrow a car to drive to ANOTHER STATE....and he gets les than a 10 for CS?!
all my experances with Waymotorsworks, (one trip in person,and several orders) have all been prompt...heck i ordered an ATI superdamper about lunchtime, and they had it shipped by 3!! What made it even better was the shipping cost WAS LESS THAN HALF OF THE OTHER PLACES!!! so the product MIGHT have cost $5 more to buy, but was $14 CHEAPER when you included shipping....and the advise in making me 100% sure i bought THE RIGHT product was priceless!!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by yetti96
Now boys.... If the thread keeps this up I will be IBTL
Don't worry I am done with this waste of a thread. My opinion is just that an opinion. Sad part is I am not the only who feels this way. All I can say is that if this were a dealership they would have warrantied their work.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I'll side with Way on this one...

Quick Reply: R56 Way's Customer Service and first thoughts on Invidia