R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini shopping: Identifying Mini optional features from photos

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini shopping: Identifying Mini optional features from photos

I've been looking around for a used Mini for months now (2011 or 2012 so I get the revised engine, base Cooper, with an automatic trans). Most listings I see online, on Craigslist, Autotrader, or even on Mini dealers' own websites, either leave out the options a car has or list them incorrectly or incompletely. It makes it hard to evaluate one car vs. another when the listing may be leaving out thousands of dollars worth of options.

So, I've basically been looking at the photos of the cars and trying to figure out what features they have just by looking. I've actually gotten pretty good at it, but there are some packages/options that I'd like to have and can't ID yet, I was hoping there might be some visual clues I'm missing.

I *can* ID (by option code)[ETA: These are MY2011 options/packages]:

ZPP Premium Package: Includes HK audio, climate control, and sunroof, all three of those things are easy to see: the HK audio adds tweeters to the A-pillar, climate control replaces the **** with an LCD display, and the sunroof is obvious.

I *can't* ID:

ZCV Convenience Package: Includes universal garage door opener, comfort access, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor/auto headlights, and bluetooth/iPod adapter. You can sometimes see the USB plug for the BT/iPod adapter but I don't know if there's any way to detect the other options in photos. I'm guessing the garage door opener has a switch up by the sunroof controls but I don't know what it looks like. It seems like I should be able to see the rain sensor too.

ZCW Cold Weather Package: Includes heated seats, heated/folding side mirrors, heated washer jets, and retractable headlight washers. I can see the buttons for the heated seats on either side of the bank of switches below the climate controls, and the retractable headlight washers, but not the heated/folding mirrors. Is there a switch to turn heat on to the mirrors that you can see in photos?

5DT Traction Control: I've read that all this is is the ability to completely turn off the stability control, and that it's activated by holding the DSC button down for a certain number of seconds. Let me know if that's wrong.

507 Park Distance Control: I live in Philly and this would be pretty handy. I have noticed that some Coopers have the reverse lights and one brake light in the middle of the rear bumper, and some have them on both corners of the rear bumper. I thought maybe the center-mounted version is there because the park distance sensor is located there?

Thanks!

Last edited by Buckethead; 06-18-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
ghstrdr
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I've been looking around for a used Mini for months now (2011 or 2012 so I get the revised engine, base Cooper, with an automatic trans). Most listings I see online, on Craigslist, Autotrader, or even on Mini dealers' own websites, either leave out the options a car has or list them incorrectly or incompletely. It makes it hard to evaluate one car vs. another when the listing may be leaving out thousands of dollars worth of options.

So, I've basically been looking at the photos of the cars and trying to figure out what features they have just by looking. I've actually gotten pretty good at it, but there are some packages/options that I'd like to have and can't ID yet, I was hoping there might be some visual clues I'm missing.

I *can* ID (by option code):

ZPP Premium Package: Includes HK audio, climate control, and sunroof, all three of those things are easy to see: the HK audio adds tweeters to the A-pillar, climate control replaces the **** with an LCD display, and the sunroof is obvious.

I *can't* ID:

ZCV Convenience Package: Includes universal garage door opener, comfort access, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor/auto headlights, and bluetooth/iPod adapter. You can sometimes see the USB plug for the BT/iPod adapter but I don't know if there's any way to detect the other options in photos. I'm guessing the garage door opener has a switch up by the sunroof controls but I don't know what it looks like. It seems like I should be able to see the rain sensor too.

ZCW Cold Weather Package: Includes heated seats, heated/folding side mirrors, heated washer jets, and retractable headlight washers. I can see the buttons for the heated seats on either side of the bank of switches below the climate controls, and the retractable headlight washers, but not the heated/folding mirrors. Is there a switch to turn heat on to the mirrors that you can see in photos?

5DT Traction Control: I've read that all this is is the ability to completely turn off the stability control, and that it's activated by holding the DSC button down for a certain number of seconds. Let me know if that's wrong.

507 Park Distance Control: I live in Philly and this would be pretty handy. I have noticed that some Coopers have the reverse lights and one brake light in the middle of the rear bumper, and some have them on both corners of the rear bumper. I thought maybe the center-mounted version is there because the park distance sensor is located there?

Thanks!
Convenience Package - Universal Remote can be identified by the three buttons located on the lower left side of the mirror. And the Auto dimming features can be seen in the mirror also. The mirror has a sensor located in the center of the frame (lower portion).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
For what it's worth, there may be variations within those packages. My 2010 MCS, for example, has the Premium Package, but not the HK audio. Apparently the units weren't available when my car was built, so MINI substituted the base stereo and I got a discount on the package. I bought my car new from dealer stock, and aside from the stereo, it had all the features I was looking for... so I didn't fuss about it. But yes, I'd have preferred the HK.

Just FYI,

Spridget

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
For what it's worth, there may be variations within those packages. My 2010 MCS, for example, has the Premium Package, but not the HK audio. Apparently the units weren't available when my car was built, so MINI substituted the base stereo and I got a discount on the package. I bought my car new from dealer stock, and aside from the stereo, it had all the features I was looking for... so I didn't fuss about it. But yes, I'd have preferred the HK.

Just FYI,

Spridget
Thanks. I'll definitely be confirming the presence of any options before going to look at a car, this is more just for comparison purposes for internet listings. Most of them have lots of photos but no details on the options. I can't blame them for that much, there are tons of possible options on a Mini and it seems like the only way to know for sure what they are is to get a dealer to check the VIN. But even most Mini dealer websites are vague on the options.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I was under the impression that this is the "fake limited slip" feature, which applies the brakes to a wheel that it detects is slipping.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
I was under the impression that this is the "fake limited slip" feature, which applies the brakes to a wheel that it detects is slipping.
EDLC was the "fake limited slip" and stopped being available in... 2010 (I know it wasn't available in 2010, may have stopped before that).

Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
mertyltheturtle
1st Gear
on a 2012 the Premium package it totally different so the theory you have for determining prem package is only true on a 2011

PDC would be easy to see on the rear bumpers as you can see the circular sensors.

ZCV is hard to find, but some indications of it would be the garage door opener on the mirror, the buttons for comfort access on the door handles. You would be able to see the sensor for the rain sensor on by the rear view mirror and the garage door buttons are also on the mirror which you may be able to see in the photos.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mertyltheturtle
on a 2012 the Premium package it totally different so the theory you have for determining prem package is only true on a 2011

PDC would be easy to see on the rear bumpers as you can see the circular sensors.

ZCV is hard to find, but some indications of it would be the garage door opener on the mirror, the buttons for comfort access on the door handles. You would be able to see the sensor for the rain sensor on by the rear view mirror and the garage door buttons are also on the mirror which you may be able to see in the photos.
Thanks. So far 90% of the used listings I'm seeing that are for either of those two model years are for 2011s so those are the ones I'm focusing on for now. The few 2012s I'm seeing are almost always bare-bones.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
My 2012 was also purchased out of dealer stock.

The only "package" it has is the cold weather.
stand alone option is the bluetooth/iPod connectivity and rear fog lamp.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about all of the bits of the packages are available a la cart, so if you confirm one feature, it doesn't mean the package is there.

Originally Posted by ghstrdr
Convenience Package - Universal Remote can be identified by the three buttons located on the lower left side of the mirror. And the Auto dimming features can be seen in the mirror also. The mirror has a sensor located in the center of the frame (lower portion).
That's available without the convenience package, we just bought it (along with the rest of the MINI) without the package.

Originally Posted by grueinthebox
EDLC was the "fake limited slip" and stopped being available in... 2010 (I know it wasn't available in 2010, may have stopped before that).
Its now part of the DTC option. As far as I remember, EDLC has been continuously available (as part of DTC) since they stopped shipping real LSDs.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
Just about all of the bits of the packages are available a la cart, so if you confirm one feature, it doesn't mean the package is there.
+1, that MINI is so flexible as you order car options a la carte could cause some craziness on resale ("gee it has everything that's in the Cold Weather package, but the mirrors don't power-fold. What's up with that?"). I cherry-picked the options vs. packages and saved enough to spring for some other stuff. It'll likely cause some head-scratching whenever it hits the resale lot.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As some have said before. Just because you see one item of a package does not mean that the package is there. Most if not all of these options can be purchased separately.

Garage door opener - Three buttons on bottom of mirror - can also control other items such as lights if you purchase the correct modules for you home.

Comfort Access - black buttons on the drives or passenger door handles - means you dont have to take the key fob out of your pocket just press the button. Also allows for starting of the car without the key fob in the dash slot.

Auto Dimming Mirror - Small sensor in center bottom edge of mirror - hard to see if it is working as you must have a car behind you with bright lights to see it change. Mirror will change from clear to blue/green

Rain Sensor - look at the outside of the windshield up where the mirror mounts you should see a hole in the black paint on the inside of the windshield and see a glass sensor that kind of looks like an eye

Auto Headlights - look at the left stalk there should be 4 positions On, Parking, Off, Auto

Bluetooth iPod is best seen by the USB port under the dash.

Heated Seats - Buttons on either side of the toggles in the center stack

Heated folding side mirrors - Button on the drivers door will turn them in or out and do adjustments. Heat comes on and off automatically depending on temps

Heated Washer Jets - open the bonnet and check to see if there is wiring running to the washer jets if there is heated jets are installed.

Retractable headlight washers - see the half moon shaped pieces in the headlights.

Not sure on this one as it has changed so many times over the years.

Differences in lights is a year to year thing. Back up sensors should be four (4) round circles in the bumper. They are not located in the lights.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Your description sounds apt, and that's how it works on my MCS so equipped. MINIUSA site says of this option, "Perfect for aggressive driving, MINIs allow drivers to turn DSC + DTC function off and grant more responsibility to the pilot. And in the event the situation turns dramatic, the Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC) will kick in to help acceleration."

My button operates: a)one brief push: DSC switched off, DTC remains, display reads "Traction". b)one long push (3+ seconds): DSC and DTC switched off, display reads "OFF"; only EDLC remains.

Now: to get to an autoX near me to try this stuff out!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
Great descriptions on how to tell options. Each to their own, but I'd suggest thinking about if you really want/need the back up parking sensors. Lived/worked/went to school in Philly for 15 years, now live in the 'burbs, so I can understand the congestion in the city. But the car is so small, and since it's a hatchback, the rear glass is just about where the back of the car is. It's rather easy to park, even in a very tight spot.

By the way, be sure to join up with PhillyMINI when you get your car! Best of luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Buckethead
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Klayfish
Great descriptions on how to tell options. Each to their own, but I'd suggest thinking about if you really want/need the back up parking sensors. Lived/worked/went to school in Philly for 15 years, now live in the 'burbs, so I can understand the congestion in the city. But the car is so small, and since it's a hatchback, the rear glass is just about where the back of the car is. It's rather easy to park, even in a very tight spot.
Yeah it's not a 100% necessity, if I find a Mini I like that has everything I want except the sensors I'll probably jump on it. There are also aftermarket sensors that supposedly work pretty well and are not expensive, if I decide later that I need it. I live on a tiny street and I'll take any assistance I can get squeezing into a parking space.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are two good reasons why you don't see heavily optioned cars - dealers typically don't stock them, and build-to-order buyers typically don't load their cars up with lots of options, due to the mortifying sticker shock that results when you start piling on options. Here's the sticker from my '10 that I recently sold. The other problem is that when it does come time to sell or trade, the options don't add nearly as much resale as you might think, relative to original cost...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one expensive S. Our JCW only cost a thousand more. There's only a few options we actually want.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
I live on a tiny street and I'll take any assistance I can get squeezing into a parking space.
I hear ya. I used to live on one of those tiny alley streets in center city (well, right off of South Street so I guess it's the border of south Philly), so I know that parking deal. Even still, maybe try to test drive one and park it. I park mine in the garage. I literally have another car parked perpendicular against the back wall of my garage, so when I back the Mini in, I'm heading right for the passenger door of that car. It's incredibly easy to place the back of the Mini right where I want it. My wife on the other hand....the same perpendicular car obstructs some of her spot too...I had to do the "hanging tennis ball" trick for her, even though her car is also a hatchback (Honda Fit).

Try searching non-MINI dealer lots. You may find a great deal there. Since MINIs are so customizable and individual, very often a non-MINI dealer that takes one in on trade has no clue what they really have. You may find a loaded car pretty cheap. That's how I got mine, dealer (who was actually very nice) had no clue what they had.