R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is this normal of a modern manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM
deweys
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal of a modern manual

My 2011 MCS is the first manual I've owned in a very long time. I've begun to notice that if I attempt to put the transmission into first while rolling there's some kind of sticking point. It will go into first, I just wants to fight me about it.

Example being, I'm in third at maybe 45mph approaching a stop sign. Clutch in and roll to the sign, along the way moving to first. The transmission is resistant to entering first gear the entire time it's rolling. Once I come to a complete stop it slides into first with no problem at all.

I do not have this issue when up-shifting at all. Is this some method of the transmission protecting itself? Maybe a reminder to prevent you from over rev?

Thanks folks, I've searched a while for the answer to this. I just want to be sure this is normal and there's no trouble on the horizon.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I could be wrong but that sounds like it's just hesitant to enter at a speed that may be a little too fast for the gear. First gear is very short on my car and if I tried to enter first rolling at anything over like 10KMH it would stick and lurch.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM
deweys
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I could be wrong but that sounds like it's just hesitant to enter at a speed that may be a little too fast for the gear. First gear is very short on my car and if I tried to enter first rolling at anything over like 10KMH it would stick and lurch.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not letting off the clutch while rolling to the stop. The clutch is disengaged entire time. I'm just getting into first ahead of time. The clutch is only engaged once I'm ready to take off from the stop.

Hope that makes sense

Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're new at driving a manual trans. I would reccommend slowing down below 5mph before attempting to put it into first. Also, while waiting at traffic lights, do it in neutral with the clutch out and engage first gear when the light changes.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 AM
deweys
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
If you're new at driving a manual trans. I would reccommend slowing down below 5mph before attempting to put it into first. Also, while waiting at traffic lights, do it in neutral with the clutch out and engage first gear when the light changes.
Thank you, I will attempt to change my driving habits. I guess it's the transmission telling me I'm doing dumb things.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned 7 manual cars built from 1990 to 2011 and they've all been that way if you try to go into first (even with the clutch pedal depressed) at too high a speed.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's probably no synchromesh in to first gear - by design it expects to be used only from standing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_...on#Synchromesh

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM
deweys
1st Gear
Excellent, thanks everyone. I will stop doing immediately.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think all modern cars are like that to prevent you from letting up on the clutch an blowing the transmission up.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Pez D. Spencer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been driving manuals for almost 50 years. Whether rolling or standing still, when shifting into first gear, shift into second gear and then into first, you don't have engage the clutch in second. We used to call that "lining up the synchros". It makes it easier to shift into first and after a few days of doing this you will just do it by habbit and not even realize your doing it. May not be "necessary" with new tranys but it works.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Yes, that's perfectly normal. That said, you shouldn't be shifting into first like that. If you're rolling into a stop sign you should leave it in a higher gear and then shift into first only once you've stopped.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
It will go in if you rev-match between gears. But I see no reason to go into any lower gear while rolling to a stop, unless the light turns green before you get there. In that case, you won't be going into first anyway.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
shnool
1st Gear
Like others said, no 1st gear while rolling... UNLESS.... you are rolling below say 10mph, you can REV the engine to push 1st gear. It isn't the right thing to do, but it works. Generally though if you are trying to pick 1st at 10mph, and you have the luxury of revving, then likely you are now accelerating, and 2nd would be better.

The only time I felt the need do this is in traffic, and we have rubber-necking... someone stops abruptly (so I slow), then everyone floors it in front of me. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeez it isn't that hard. In a Mini, all you have to do is just let the clutch out in neutral, put the clutch in and shift it into first. (assuming you are trying to do this at a reasonable 10mph) You have to get the transmission input shaft spinning for the fully synchronized 6 speed manual gearbox to work... At a reasonable speed you don't even have to blip the throttle.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
deweys
1st Gear
Alright people, I appreciate all the help. Long story short, my last manual was a 73' CJ-5 Jeep 3 speed. Things were different back then. Anyway, I apologize for being foolish and I will stop abusing my vehicle. Thanks!

Last edited by deweys; 08-26-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
My first manual was a 1976 Jeep CJ-5 with a 3 speed, 304 V-8. That's one vehicle I've never missed, but it was what I learned to drive a manual in. Since then I've owned about a dozen vehicles, but I still have never owned an automatic in 36 years of driving.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
It will go in if you rev-match between gears. But I see no reason to go into any lower gear while rolling to a stop, unless the light turns green before you get there. In that case, you won't be going into first anyway.
This is the correct method to get it to go into the lower gear when you want.

But I rarely go into a lower gear when rolling to a stop. I also typically never let the clutch out and move to neutral while waiting for a light. Why? When the light turns green I go. Why waste time shifting back into first? Takes too long to get going. I don't get that. Been driving a manual all my life as well and have always done it this way. My GTO has 109K on it and still on the original clutch, been doing it like this since new. I utilize rev matching on this car a lot more cause you really have to drive this one. 400 Hp and not the best shifter in the world. LOL. Drove my 69 Roadrunner the same way. Works well for me.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
This is the correct method to get it to go into the lower gear when you want.

But I rarely go into a lower gear when rolling to a stop. I also typically never let the clutch out and move to neutral while waiting for a light. Why? When the light turns green I go. Why waste time shifting back into first? Takes too long to get going. I don't get that. Been driving a manual all my life as well and have always done it this way. My GTO has 109K on it and still on the original clutch, been doing it like this since new. I utilize rev matching on this car a lot more cause you really have to drive this one. 400 Hp and not the best shifter in the world. LOL. Drove my 69 Roadrunner the same way. Works well for me.
Putting it in neutral with the clutch out while waiting at stop lights will increase the life of the Throw-Out Bearing.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:44 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
Putting it in neutral with the clutch out while waiting at stop lights will increase the life of the Throw-Out Bearing.
I can see that.

My clutch material however has generally failed before the throw out bearing. I'm always surprised at the number of people that I notice do not release the clutch fully but rather ride the top of the clutch throw. I believe that does more harm to the throw out bearing than does fully depressing the clutch to disengage the clutch surface from the flywheel.

But I still see your point. If the light is a particularly long light I may do the neutral thing but most lights are pretty quick so I don't bother with it. Like to get going quickly don't ya know?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
JustDanD
1st Gear
I'm always surprised at the number of people that I notice do not release the clutch fully but rather ride the top of the clutch throw. I believe that does more harm to the throw out bearing than does fully depressing the clutch to disengage the clutch surface from the flywheel.
Could you elaborate on what you mean here? My 2005 R53 is my first manual ever, and I'm just looking to keep it going plenty long.

(We just got this car in July with 18k on it, so it's basically new)

Thanks!
Dan

Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
PatM
6th Gear
What I mean is resting you foot on the pedal when the clutch is fully engaged. In other words at the top. When you shift you should take your foot completely off the pedal between shifts. It's that simple. And don't rest you foot on top of the pedal while driving. That's what the footrest is for to the left of the clutch pedal. If you want to get real picky (I am) don't rest you hand on the shifter either. It does put unneeded pressure on the "shift joints" so to speak. When you have completed shifting put your hand on the wheel or rest it on the armrest. (if u have one)

But I'm real picky. I also don't have clutch or throw out bearing problems.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
On that note, keeping your hand on the **** can cause premature shift fork, and synchro ring wear.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Exactly!!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM
deweys
1st Gear
I can see that.

I'm always surprised at the number of people that I notice do not release the clutch fully but rather ride the top of the clutch throw.
Do you mean you notice this when riding with someone? Or can you tell by watching the vehicle on the road?

Every time I have a bad shift and jerk the car I feel like the whole world just noticed I can't drive!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Almost always riding with people. My two boys and others over the years. I tried to teach my kids but hey they were kids and they know everything?? I think they finally got it but it took until they were 31 and 26 and now they get to pay the repair bills so the lesson came a little easier. LOL

You can rarely tell from another car unless they start so bad that they herk and jerk or kill the car and have to restart.

Quick Reply: R56 Is this normal of a modern manual