R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Cooper (non S) Gas question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper (non S) Gas question

Is it better to let it drain then fill up or is it better to fill up at a 1/4 tank? I've read that you can get metal in your engine if you let it go too long....but I've also read it can be bad filling too soon, since you end up with old gas in the tank.

What is best for a MINI...I've never owned a BMW before and I want it to last as long as it can!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people Fuel their MINI when it asks for Fuel (Red Gas Tank Icon), but some have also ran their MINIs out of Fuel by trying to take it just a wee bit farther, I fuel Molly when she has 5 Pedals or Candy Corns gone (1/2 Tank). You should just find what works best for you, I drive by a Shell Station on the way home every day, so it's easy to remember to look at the Fuel Gauge and see if she needs a drink or not.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't the fuel pump cooled by fuel running through it? I never let mine run empty. Usually before the red light goes on telling me it's thirsty.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
That's why I'm asking...if its better to do it at half I will...I just remember reading that that is bad because you end up with old fuel in there after a while.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gentlefury
That's why I'm asking...if its better to do it at half I will...I just remember reading that that is bad because you end up with old fuel in there after a while.
Molly is usually a Garage Queen, except for Construction going on around my work, my Husband and I commute in his 2010 Kia Soul Shadow Dragon SE#3 "SMAUG", so I don't see a problem with "old fuel" still in Molly if I were to let her go a couple of months without driving her, I'd probably take precautions, otherwise I don't see a need.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't buy the old fuel axiom. Put a little fuel treatment in and your good to go. But why bother just use tier 1 fuel and then fill at 1/4 tank or fuller if your traveling a long distance. It is not good for the car to run dry in any circumstance. I don't think it is a big deal regardless. You won't experience an old fuel even unless you don't drive at all for months on end and don't treat the fuel.
Don't worry about it just fill like you would any other automobile.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Cool, thanks for the tips.

I really love this car and I want it in awesome shape for a while! I'm used to a 10 gallon tank, so I can fill at 1/4 full and have my fuel costs be the same as they've been. Or fill at half and be more frequent but less money. My old car was empty after about 5 days...maybe I will just stick with that time frame and have my fill ups be cheaper.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 AM
desiletspo
1st Gear
I don't think there's a problem if you wait until the red fuel light. I fuel with 91 octane fuel, and it's always cheaper every thursday, so I plan to fuel this day. I'm pretty sure that fueling at 1/2 a tank won't cause any problem with old fuel. While you drive everything get mixed up and you will burn it. Anyway, do you think you gas station wait until their tank is empty before filling it......

It's really up to you, both ''method'' won't affect your car

Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
It is really up to you, but my method is gassing up every other payday. I am usually still sitting at 3 to 4 corn kernals at that point. Only twice did I let it go further, and that was when I was between jobs and money was tight. For me the schedule seems to keep Stinky happy.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fill up when the gauge has 2 candy corns left. Never had a problem.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just fill up when you want to, but use ethynol free premium if you can find it.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Growing up, my grandfather always said to be sure and have plenty of gas in the tank in case an unexpected emergency.
Watching several unexpected gas hikes and long lines and miserable weather conditions, I've always filled up at 1/4 or 1/2 a tank, no matter what I drove.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:04 AM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
I fill up at one bar almost every time. It always works out to it with my long drive. I do the drive twice and always end up with one bar left. Usually down to 10 miles to empty on the range. Driven mine 15k miles since I've owned. Doing this every week since owned. Rolling over 68k now. No problems. But I have heard more fuel in the tank is good on the fuel pump because it helps make a natural pressure like a water tower and makes it easier on the fuel pump.

Btw - I have never ran out of gas. Even with the range down to 10 miles left. That range gauge is pretty accurate at the low miles =]

Old 08-20-2011, 07:23 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 6speedwtneed
I fill up at one bar almost every time. It always works out to it with my long drive. I do the drive twice and always end up with one bar left. Usually down to 10 miles to empty on the range. Driven mine 15k miles since I've owned. Doing this every week since owned. Rolling over 68k now. No problems. But I have heard more fuel in the tank is good on the fuel pump because it helps make a natural pressure like a water tower and makes it easier on the fuel pump.

Btw - I have never ran out of gas. Even with the range down to 10 miles left. That range gauge is pretty accurate at the low miles =]
Not a good idea to run these cars down to barely nothing...The fuel pump on the "S" is a highly prone problem to failure and it will effect it if one constantly runs low fuel with lower octane rating better known to all here as the HPFP

Old 08-20-2011, 03:23 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimize07
Not a good idea to run these cars down to barely nothing...The fuel pump on the "S" is a highly prone problem to failure and it will effect it if one constantly runs low fuel with lower octane rating better known to all here as the HPFP
I already fill up 3 times a week. I am not doing 6 lol.
My car will be fine. She's well maintained