R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do these service records look bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do these service records look bad?

Hey everyone, 1st post here, looking to pick up an MCS in the next week or so.

Found a car that is just what I wanted, price is right. The sales rep sent me a screen cap of what service records he could show me.

Please take a look at it and let me know if this is something I dont want to get into. 2 HPFP's and some work related to the cams and tensioner.

It is an 07 MCS with 48xxx miles on it.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mindspin, Is this a MINI dealer and what used car warranty are they offering? Whatever they offer, read it carefully to see what's covered and most importantly, what's not covered.

The work orders showing what was actually done would be more meaningful. "Unpleasant Noises" doesn't tell me what was done to the car. Front brakes done at 30,xxx, so the next time will require rotors too. Rear brakes may be due soon? That's a simple inspection.

The repairs that have been made are part of owning a MINI. They do not raise a flag for me. Have you test driven the car?

Others, more knowledgeable will follow. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
But 2 HPFP's???? Sounds like the previous owner didn't use the recommended 91+ fuel grade in his/her vehicle and kept burning it out.....

Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 PM
MudSwettinGears
1st Gear
I got the service records on mine shortly after I purchased it used in Jan 11 (07 MCS). I had the same defect code for "unpleasant noises", and the dealer said that led to the replacement of the timing chain and tensioner (this site is full of info relative to timing chains and tensioners). You have two instances of similar defect codes (last four 3900), so I would assume (until told otherwise) that the timing chain and/or tensioner have been replaced a couple times.

Do your research before you buy (it looks like you are). I'm happy with mine even though it's had its share of issues (timing chains, HPFP, most recently the cylinder head cover, and a check engine light that won't go away). Repairs can be expensive, so a warranty is almost a must.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Here is a link to the posting on the dealer's website

http://www.minimainline.com/VehicleD...-PA/1080400823

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ballandchain
But 2 HPFP's???? Sounds like the previous owner didn't use the recommended 91+ fuel grade in his/her vehicle and kept burning it out.....
Why would octane affect the pump?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing that really concerns me is the short amount of time and the few miles that have elapsed since the replacement of the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Was the problem really fixed, or was that what drove the previous owner to finally trade it in?

The good news is that dealer-replaced parts have their own warranty that lasts for two years or the remainder of the factory warranty, whichever is *longer*. So if the adjustment solenoid or the high-pressure pump fail again in the next year or so, they should still be covered even though the rest of your factory warranty will have expired.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The only thing that really concerns me is the short amount of time and the few miles that have elapsed since the replacement of the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Was the problem really fixed, or was that what drove the previous owner to finally trade it in?

The good news is that dealer-replaced parts have their own warranty that lasts for two years or the remainder of the factory warranty, whichever is *longer*. So if the adjustment solenoid or the high-pressure pump fail again in the next year or so, they should still be covered even though the rest of your factory warranty will have expired.
Does that solenoid relate to the tensioner issues, or is it a separate thing?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
I see from the records that the car received its first full oil service at over 19,000 miles. Looks like a warning flag to me...

-:G:-

Old 07-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Yea, Im hoping it was done before that, and that was just the 1st one done at the dealership...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Theres no way you can verify that, though, is there? Although 2 of the issues there are commonly known issues (HPFP and timing chain) there are too many red flags there IMO to risk it. Especially with no warranty. This would be a huge pass, IMO.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Spoke to the dealer, they that was the 1st oil change based off the service light. If you dont drive it hard, you dont need a change so quickly yadda yadda.

Said the timing chain thing happens if you drive the car hard, race it, etc.. sorta blamed the forums.

Camshaft solenoid thing, said it was a one off issue, not common.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Spoke to the dealer, they that was the 1st oil change based off the service light. If you dont drive it hard, you dont need a change so quickly yadda yadda.

Said the timing chain thing happens if you drive the car hard, race it, etc.. sorta blamed the forums.

Camshaft solenoid thing, said it was a one off issue, not common.
So the motoring adviser contradicted himself in two quick sentences:

Oil change @ 19K is due to not driving hard.

Timing chain is replaced if you drive the car hard.

Can't have it both ways....

Scott brought up an excellent point, too...
I'd keep looking.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM
ballandchain
4th Gear
So it didn't get an oil change till late cause it wasn't driven hard but then had the timing chain replaced because it WAS driven hard? Did you tell him to make up his mind....I would have called him out....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
CooperSJohn
1st Gear
i would keep looking there are many more out there

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
The dealer's record of the oil change is "their" record. If the owner chose to change it himself or took it to an independent shop, it's not going to show on MINI's record. (I did my first oil change at approx 5000 miles.)

I would be inclined to use a flashlight and peer into the oil fill port to see if there is any appearance of sludge. The absence of sludge won't prove anything but it may relieve your concerns.

After all of that, walk away from this car if you are not satisfied. Keep looking until you find the car that won't keep you awake at night.

P.S. Many of these cars of that vintage had timing chain problems at very low mileage, and I don't believe that driving them hard was necessarily the cause.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Yea Im not sure. He mentioned that the previous owner of the car is now on his 3rd Mini. So seems he likes them a lot.

The advisor said that the timing chain noise/whatever is only a problem if the car is driven hard when it is cold.

I dont know, car seems pretty solid. It's not like this is the only car with the issue. The car has about 1 month remaining on its factory warranty, plus the dealership sells it with a 6wk/6k mi warranty. As well, I am considering an extended warranty.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go for it, the extended warranty will give you peace of mind. I purchased a refundable warranty that covers nearly everything but wear components (clutch, brakes, etc.)

If I don't use it over four years, I get ~80% of the cost back. Money in the bank, almost, and I don't need to worry about any big ticket failures. If I have a few hundred dollar repair, I'll go out of pocket, but anything bigger than the refund, I'll use the warranty.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
If you go for it, the extended warranty will give you peace of mind. I purchased a refundable warranty that covers nearly everything but wear components (clutch, brakes, etc.)

If I don't use it over four years, I get ~80% of the cost back. Money in the bank, almost, and I don't need to worry about any big ticket failures. If I have a few hundred dollar repair, I'll go out of pocket, but anything bigger than the refund, I'll use the warranty.
Can you give me some details on the refundable warranty?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grgramps
The dealer's record of the oil change is "their" record. If the owner chose to change it himself or took it to an independent shop, it's not going to show on MINI's record. (I did my first oil change at approx 5000 miles.)

I would be inclined to use a flashlight and peer into the oil fill port to see if there is any appearance of sludge. The absence of sludge won't prove anything but it may relieve your concerns.

After all of that, walk away from this car if you are not satisfied. Keep looking until you find the car that won't keep you awake at night.

P.S. Many of these cars of that vintage had timing chain problems at very low mileage, and I don't believe that driving them hard was necessarily the cause.
From what I understand, its just the operation of the tensioner that creates the noise.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Can you give me some details on the refundable warranty?
I bought it through the dealer where I got the car, a Toyota/Lexus lot. It's offered through First Canadian Group. It's pretty simple. It's a four year, 100,000km warranty (I think, off the top of my head.) If I make any claims against it, then I don't get anything refunded. There is a $200 deductible for any repairs. It includes roadside assistance, towing, etc. At this point I'm not clear if towing/roadside counts as a "claim," and would therefore void my refund, but I'm going to look into that.

The warranty is transferable, so if I were to sell the car to a private buyer, they would have the benefit of the warranty but NOT the option of a refund: The refund option only applies to me, the original warranty purchaser.

If I keep the car, and make no claims against the warranty for 4 years, my $3300 (ouch.) is refunded, less an "administration fee" of a few hundred dollars. Since it was rolled into the car payments, it isn't a big burden, and I get to rest easy.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
MattMatt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pass

Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MattMatt
pass
Care to elaborate? Seems like the problems arent anything beyond typical MCS issues..

Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
I feel like more than half moderately older R56's had the tensioner or chain done. Maybe I did not read this right, was the tensioner/chain problem fixed? If so then I would say you are fine. And screw what the dealer oil change says. That owner is on his third MINI. I'm sure he changed it himself (as do I). When I almost traded my last MINI in to a MINI dealer he tried to say my car was worth less because the service said 23k miles since last change and I said that's BS youll just reset the service indicator once I trade it in and then offered me what it should have been. So I would listen for anything sounding bad, drive the **** out of the car on the test drive. And if its solid I would say okay as long as the tensioner and chain had been replaced.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 6speedwtneed
I feel like more than half moderately older R56's had the tensioner or chain done. Maybe I did not read this right, was the tensioner/chain problem fixed? If so then I would say you are fine. And screw what the dealer oil change says. That owner is on his third MINI. I'm sure he changed it himself (as do I). When I almost traded my last MINI in to a MINI dealer he tried to say my car was worth less because the service said 23k miles since last change and I said that's BS youll just reset the service indicator once I trade it in and then offered me what it should have been. So I would listen for anything sounding bad, drive the **** out of the car on the test drive. And if its solid I would say okay as long as the tensioner and chain had been replaced.
It is unclear to me whether it was done or not. My belief is no. I need to email my sales rep again and ask him.

Quick Reply: R56 Do these service records look bad?