R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is this noise and behavior normal for MINI S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
myskylab
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this noise and behavior normal for MINI S?

Hi everyone! I am a newbie here as well as my Mini. :-)

I bought a 2011 MINI cooper S hardtop, automatic in chili red color a month ago, and now she ran 1000 miles or some more.
She is great and runs great, but I experience small strange things, so I'd like to ask some questions...
I did not experience these when I drove the other cars like Honda Civic, Volvo S40, Dodge Challenger etc, so I am not sure this is normal for Mini or I am doing something wrong or my MINI has some issues.

When I start MINI and drive slowly in low speed(10~15 miles/h) in a parking lot. Mini makes low noise, and the accelerator is not pushed/pressed smoothly as like something is blocked somewhere when I step on and press it. And this feeling and noise go on for a while when I drive in a low speed continuously, and at one point, Mini jumps a bit hard(like when there is a gear shift, but this feels much harder) and everything seems become normal after that.

2. This maybe a stupid question, but when I step off the break, the break pedal makes a noise when it goes back to its place. This is not much a problem, but I am wondering the others see the same or I am stepping it off too hard/fast.....

3. I am thinking to do an engine oil change at 1500 miles. As this is not covered by MINI service, I am thinking to do it from a local mechanic. If so, is there anything that I need to know and make sure with them?
By end of this month, local Mini dealership offers $70 for oil change/tire rotation(which I don't need), 32 points/tire/break inspection, and car wash. If so, I am wondering it is better to get the oil change from Mini?

I did my best to describe the issues and questions, but it is a bit hard for me because I don't know much about cars, and English is not my first language, so thanks for your understanding.
Any comments would be really appreciated!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
1. Can't comment on the auto behavior.

2. The brake pedal is kind of clunky at the top... noisier than other cars, Jeeps, I've had.

3. 1500 is a little earlier than necessary... I'd worry a bit with someone not familiar with Mini's changing it. I'd wait until the end of the month and do the Mini-offered service for $70. At least they should not break anything and will use the right oil. I just paid $50 for oil and filter for my 6000 mile interval change... $20 more is not so bad and you get it washed.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The accelerator map isn't linear, it seems to be slow responding in the first few degrees of accelerator travel on my MINI, I've read a lot of comments from other MINI owners about the same thing. I can't say I've noticed a noise at low speed though.

I haven't noticed any unusual noises when releasing the brake.

I think 1500 miles is a little soon for a first oil change, but it won't hurt either. I've heard that people have had problems with aftermarket oil filters. Factory oil filters are available on line, or just buy it at your dealer. The factory oil or an approve equivalent should be used also. It would probably be best if you just pay the dealer for the early oil change, they'll be happy to do it if your paying for it.

Dave

Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't really comment on 1 or 2...

While changing the oil at 1500 miles could never hurt, it seems like a waste of oil to me. Most cars should get an oil change every 3,000 miles (some think that's overkill). MINI says oil changes every 15,000 miles with SYNTHETIC OIL ONLY. Changing the oil every 15,000 miles just plain worries me so I split the difference and change every 7,500 miles.

Don't forget that MINI's service contract is for 3 years and they change the oil and filter, do the *32 point inspection*, change wiper blades and filters for nada. Not sure why yours is charging you $70 - maybe because you want to do it earlier than what the on board computer says?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do the oil change, and do it at the dealer. In the future if you want to do your own, buy your filter and oil from the dealer, that way there can't be any issues about the oil/filter at a later date if you have a problem.

I think it's always smart to use factory parts, but especially while you're under warranty.

While you're there for the oil change, why not ask them to check the low speed driving behavior and see if it feels normal to them, they can also take a look at the brake pedal too. Then you'll know for sure.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
Heres my 2 cents ...

1) you bought a Mini in an automatic

2)Where did you buy your Mini ?? That should be covered ... and always a free car wash !!!

enjoy motoring

Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The surging might be the ABS. Sometimes I notice it if just easing on the gas from a fresh startup. I usually give it more gas and go and don't notice it, so no worried IMO on that one.

The brake pedal, not sure/never noticed.

I would gladly pay $70 for MINI to do an oil change and tire rotation (not necessary at 1500 miles, maybe 3 or 4k miles). Most charge around $100 for a change and nothing else. For peace of mind I would do it before the first recommended change. Also they should not reset the OCI light since you are paying for it outside of the the included maintenance plan.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Do the oil change, and do it at the dealer. In the future if you want to do your own, buy your filter and oil from the dealer, that way there can't be any issues about the oil/filter at a later date if you have a problem.

I think it's always smart to use factory parts, but especially while you're under warranty.

While you're there for the oil change, why not ask them to check the low speed driving behavior and see if it feels normal to them, they can also take a look at the brake pedal too. Then you'll know for sure.
Great advice, especially while you're under warranty. Having the dealer do the oil change ensures no hassles down the road. It's going to be more expensive, but the peace of mind of having MINI do it is worth it. Plus you get the other things checked out before they possibly become a bigger problem down the road, PLUS your concerns can be documented at the dealer in the event those "symptoms" get worse.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Mini can do a thing if you do not use there filters etc. If there is a problem down the road the law reads the manufacture has to prove that the aftermarket filter or parts were defective and that it caused the issue. I am not saying Mini will cover as I hear they will do this regually to there customers. Hence the very low ratings on most customer satiisfaction surveys. Customers should not be subject to this type of dealer BS. It's and oil change and not rocket science. If they did not bend you over for the service people would not be looking elsewhere. I had MB try this on me one time because I used a Bosch part. Bosch actually was the maker of the MB part. Same exact item with a different part number in a Bosch vs 4 times the price for the same filter in a MB box. When I pushed them to prove the part cased the defect they caved in and covered the issue that was not even related to the air filter. Know the law and hold you ground. The burden of proof is all on the dealer to prove the part caused the issue. I need to get an oil change on my 2011 JCW with 3500 miles on it. I just like to get the break in oil out of the engine. Everytime I have done the early change you always find metal bits from the break process and manufacturing in the oil. Run it through a fine filter and you wil be surprised how much is there. I will most likely have the dealer do my change as believe there is a special O ring which is required for the filter and just havign the dealer do it is just easier.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to make you feel bad about owning an automatic, but the delay in throttle response is first due to the pedal position vs. throttle position programming in the vehicle computer (ECU). It's improved if you use sport mode. Secondly, the automatics have a tendency to surge a bit while taking off in 1st gear. I've driven quite a few 2010-2011 Cooper S models with automatics and they all have this same delayed response time.

Always use a BMW OEM oil filter kit. This will have a new copper washer for the oil pan plug and new rubber seal for the cap on the oil filter module. Any aftermarket kit will instantly void your warranty and they aren't up to BMW standards. I would still do the early oil changes myself, but use Royal Purple 5W-30. Much better oil than Castrol 5W-30 synthetic! You still want to come in for the scheduled maintenance intervals to show on your vehicles record you're not avoiding maintenance. The dealer isn't going to scold you for performing more frequent oil changes. It's only IMPROVING your engine life!

If you're having someone else do your oil change, make sure they are familiar with European cars like the MINI. The MINI has very specific tightening specifications for the oil filter module cap and oil pan plug. A local mechanic that uses old-school "torque to yield" thinking on the MINI will cause serious damage and potential oil system leaks.

With that said... If you can't find a Euro auto service shop, you should probably just go back to the dealer