R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Trouble with Cooper S at 10k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
5spoke
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with Cooper S at 10k miles

So I started hearing an odd clicking sound the other day coming from the passenger side of my engine compartment. It seemed to vary with the engine speed and was louder than the usual injector clicking. I took in in to have it looked at and the dealer found 2 things that need replacing. The Cover for the water pump pulley is supposedly faulty and has some play in it and that was the noise I was hearing. The other issue I didn't quite understand, the SA said that they found an oil leak from a seal where the timing chain tensioner attaches. He said that the timing chain tensioner had started to back out and they needed to replace that seal. Anyone ever hear of either of these happening?

My final gripe is that the dealer gave me a loaner for a few days since the parts were not in stock, but they put me in a Toyota Yaris from Hertz......... Now I am grateful that I actually got a loaner but I am a little disappointed in the quality of it. I mean I assume when you purchase a somewhat expensive car from a dealer and it breaks within its warranty period it should be their job to provide a similar quality car to loan you for the time being. If I bought a bmw 335i I wouldn't expect to get a honda civic as my loaner, would you? Should I be upset about this or am I just being too picky? I just think that while I paid them for a $28000 car 6 months ago that I should get at least another MINI to have to drive for the time being. I and I am pretty sure MINI would not count a Yaris as in the same class as my Cooper S.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many dealers have NO loaners, period, nada. Chrysler was like that. We got a Justa the one time we needed it from the MINI and it was not even warranty work, rather having Koni's installed. That Justa made us realize a MINI can ride comfy suspension wise.

Sounds like your dealer just has all the loaners out and bent over backwards renting one for you to me.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be an increasing number of these stories about the timing chain tensioners backing out and causing oil leaks. Wonder if this is occuring with the "new" tensioners that were supposed to fix the cold start chatter problem.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The tensioner backing out and causing an oil leak seems to be more prevelent on the new cars I.E. 2010's. And i have been wondering the same thing as jcauseyfd.

As for the loaner situation MINI does not have to give you a loaner for any reason warranty or otherwise. Most dealers will provide a loaner and if they have a MINI available the will usually provide one but if they don't and provide a loaner it can be anything they can rent from the local rental shop. I have had a VW and Toyota as well as a BMW 5 series and a MINI. As loaners from my dealer. But it is very unusual to get a car of any make that is better than the one you drive unless it is a bottom of the line MINI.

Now personally i would think that they would want to uloan you a car better than the one you drive to entice up selling for the next one you buy. But they do not seem to think that way.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
When I had my Mini serviced I had a Mini Loaner as the appt was scheduled and the Mini reserved. If no loaner available, I would have to leave car without a loaner.
With my BMW and Audi, I often get a Loaner BMW or Audi. But at times I have had a Corolla, Civic or other when all loaners were out and they rented from a rental company. Personally, I didnt care whether the loaner for a day or two was a Civic or whatever as long as it got me where I needed to go. Most important was the timely and correct repair of my car.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
vicj
3rd Gear
Quit ya griping!
I've taken my M Roadster in and been stuck in a Yaris.

Still beats hanging out

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
Good luck with the fix. I'm sure it'll be better than new. As far as the loaner, I guess I've been lucky, they've all been MINI's non S's, auto's.....Just made me more appreciate my S 6 speed.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
5spoke
2nd Gear
Yeah I am sort of over the Yaris thing, I think in the moment it was more disappointing because I had been expecting a MINI. Not a big deal and hopefully I get my mine back tomorrow!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took mine in first thing yesterday 7:30 they open and they were waiting for me at 7:20 knowing it would make me late for work already. I choose that day as it was the soonest one of the 3 loaners would come available, but alas they had a PM emergency with a thermostat car and needed to give a loaner out late the day before. Well no problem, enterprice came and picked me up and took me over to their location and I had a choice of a Ford Focus or Toyota Prius. Knowing I didn't fit in either and I had to drive 60+ miles to get work and back I took the Prius. Well yes it was not fun and slow, but I had wheels. I took it back and picked up the 2011 loaner last night as they were doing some more work for me that would involve programming and run into today. It was a Justa, but it felt so good to be back in a MINI. Glad to see some dealerships take care of their service people; I know MINI of Fort Myers (SWFL) Has taken good care of me.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 5spoke
My final gripe is that the dealer gave me a loaner for a few days since the parts were not in stock, but they put me in a Toyota Yaris from Hertz......... Now I am grateful that I actually got a loaner but I am a little disappointed in the quality of it. I mean I assume when you purchase a somewhat expensive car from a dealer and it breaks within its warranty period it should be their job to provide a similar quality car to loan you for the time being. If I bought a bmw 335i I wouldn't expect to get a honda civic as my loaner, would you? Should I be upset about this or am I just being too picky? I just think that while I paid them for a $28000 car 6 months ago that I should get at least another MINI to have to drive for the time being. I and I am pretty sure MINI would not count a Yaris as in the same class as my Cooper S.
Just wanted you to know when I bought a brand new 911 and had to bring it to the shop, they gave me a Toyota Camry as a loaner.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 PM
5spoke
2nd Gear
So the part for the pulley has to be shipped from germany and it won't be in till next week sometime but I convinced my SA to get me in one of their loaners. I am now in a 2011 Justa and I am enjoying the seat heaters till my S is fixed.

To be honest though, I was starting to get used to how my MINI drives and had grown accustom to its great handling and road feel. After driving that yaris for a day and getting back into a MINI it was rather refreshing to remember why I was so pumped about the MINI when I first got it. I need to appreciate how great it drives more often

Old 12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once had to wait for a part to come over from Germany as well. Glad they were able to get you into another MINI. I was fortunate and had one from the get go.

What do they say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM
5spoke
2nd Gear
My Cooper S is still at the dealer they are hoping to get the part this afternoon or maybe tomorrow. I want MY MINI back.