R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil conundrum

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it ...

I live 200 miles (one way) from the nearest MINI dealer - too far to drive to buy MINI brand oil. As a new owner of an R56 base model, I will make the drive for scheduled maintenance, BUT - before then, I'm going to need some top-up oil, and more significantly, I'll probably DIY my first oil change before the MINI's computer thinks it's necessary. After my free maintenance expires it will be DIY all the way.

My conundrum is: Assuming I'm going to keep this car for many years, should I substitute some high quality locally available oil, or make the extra effort to get the genuine MINI product?

MINI's documentation specifies synthetic oil which is certified both: "LL-01" and and API "SM". Then they list among their "approved" oils - "Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula" - which I found at Auto Zone - but which has an API rating of "SL", not SM (SM is the newer spec).

Even though my MINI owner's manual, the markings under my hood, and MINI's website all recommend Castrol, I can find NO locally available Castrol product which specifies that it meets MINI's requirements to pass both LL-01 and API SM.

Furthermore, entering my model into the "oil finder" on Castrol's website (http://www.castrol.com/castrol/Lubes...ategoryId=3240) resulted in "no recommended products". I called Castrol's 800 number for more info and talked to 2 different people - and neither one would recommend anything except the oil sold only at MINI dealerships. Unbelievable!

Of the 4 motor oils listed on their website as "approved" by MINI, only 1 - Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 - clearly lists both the LL-01 and API SM specs in their documentation.

So what are long-time MINI owners doing - sticking with MINI's branded oil, or using other synthetics which either are, or are not, on MINI's "approved" list?

Can anyone report high engine mileage with other brands of oil, following MINI's recommendations for intervals? (I'd like to keep the answers focused more on oil brands than drain intervals, although they are intimately related, the interval issue seems to have been covered pretty well in other threads.)

Has anyone ever had a warranty claim refused due to use of non-approved oil?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 PM
TheMINIPartStore
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you I would call the dealer and have them ship a case of oil to you. That would be 2 oil changes plus 2 extra quarts for top off in between. Have them send two filters also.

I'm at home right now but the part numbers are:

07510017866 for oil, should be around $5-$6 a quart x 12

11427577012 for the filter kit, should be $11-$12 x2

I know too many part numbers off the top of my head .......

Good luck! If you have any problems feel free to PM me.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In a way, that's the best solution, since you should change your oil a little more often than the OBS wants you too.

I use Mobil 1, it's usually on sale at Costco or WalMart, but I always use the factory filter.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
You can use Mobil 1 to top it off -- available from most places, including WallyWorld and the auto parts stores.

I've been using Mobil 1 0W40 since its first oil change at 5K miles. I've been changing it every 5K. I always change it myself along with the filter which I buy at the Mini store -- about $11 (you'll need a 27mm socket to get the housing off and an 8mm allen wrench to open the drain).

I know all about the maintenance plan, but I enjoy poking around under the hood of the little car from time to time, and this is good therapy. I talked with the service guys at my Mini place and they are fine with what I'm doing (in fact they say they do it with their own cars).

Interesting point -- how many Mini service folks are there out there who actually drive Minis? At my dealership, it a high percentage, and the service manager drives a 2010 cabrio. It really helps when the mechanic can say "Yeah, mine does the same thing and here's what I do....."

Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 PM
TheMINIPartStore
Banned
I'm in parts as well as service, I drive a MINI now

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Thanks all, for the good advice!

My gut feeling is that this car is not so exotic that my local auto parts store doesn't have something on the shelf that is every bit as good a the MINI branded oil - but since I can't prove that, I guess I'll order in a case of the imported stuff. Sheesh, I'd rather be ordering a case of French wine than German oil.

I just realized, I should have posted my question about high mileage MINIs in a more general forum than this "2007+" forum - I doubt too many readers with 2007+ coupes have logged enough miles to prove anything about the effectiveness of their motor oil.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Jasper5440
Neutral
The Mini branded oil sold at our dealer says SL, not SM, and yet our owner's manual also says only use SM. Lots of people have used the German Castrol 0w-30. I wouldn't worry a bit about the SM because the main requirement of Mini engine oil is to meet the European ACEA A3/B3 test. That's the one to pay attention to as that is a much tougher standard than API SM. The Mini branded oil does meet the ACEA A3/B3 and so does Mobil 1 0W-40 and German Castrol 0W-30.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Along with finding an oil you like, give some thought to the oil change interval you want to use. I don't know if the new MINIs are the same way, but the onboard computer in my '06 routinely stretches the oil service intervals out to 20,000 miles or more, but the analyses I've had done on the MINI-branded oil show that it's already struggling at 10,000 miles. As a result, I've switched to a plant-based synthetic oil and a 10,000-mile change interval with good results.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mobil 1 oil and filters in all my vehicles, only wish Mobil 1 made an oil filter for the MINI. Already bought in the first month of ownership, OEM filter, Mobil 1 oil (on sale at AutoZone), 27mm socket and 8mm allen wrench.

Found the filter and low profile filter socket here:

http://www.minicarparts.net/

Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 PM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CincinnatiMINI
11427557012 for the filter kit, should be $11-$12 x2
Fixed

BTW thanks for the info.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Or heck, just order some from Penske parts.

http://www.penskeparts.com/

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
One final observation/opinion -- I've been changing oil since 1963. The Mini has got to be one of the easiest cars I've ever had to change oil on. The drain plug is unencumbered and the allen cap means that the wrench can't slip off. If you drain it first the pack just a little paper towel around the base of the filter receptacle, you can pull the filter off without losing a drop of oil. The new one slips into the plastic filter cap tightly, the "O" ring goes on easily, and the whole thing screws back on tightly with no mess. The filler opening is easy to get to without spilling any on the top of the engine. I can do the whole process in 25 to 30 minutes including getting the tools out and pouring the old oil back into containers for recycling.

Its actually kinda fun.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Or heck, just order some from Penske parts.

http://www.penskeparts.com/
Maybe I would, except: a. After a quick search, I couldn't find out exactly where they are located, and, b. I couldn't find any oil for sale on that site.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a quart of Mobil 1 0w-40 European Car Formula at Kragens. ACEA A3, B3/B4, API SM, SL/CF, BMW Longlife Oil O1. Made in the USA. $7.99.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Herleman
.......... .... The Mini has got to be one of the easiest cars I've ever had to change oil on. ..............

Its actually kinda fun.

Hope so. The PT Cruiser we had that the MINI replaced had the spin-on oil filter right next to the pan drain plug - now THAT was the easiest to change set-up on the planet....

Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 AM
SeanKidd
2nd Gear
Motor Oil MUST READ

This is the most comprehensive oil lecture I've ever read. I have changed brands after 25 years, I used to use OTC 5W30 Castrol Synthetic, now 0W-30, Mobil One or Royal Purple.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136052