R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New MCS owner... handling not at all like my test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Malakas
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MCS owner... handling not at all like my test drive

Hello NAM members,

This is a great forum, with tons of excellent information. I am a new owner of a 2010 Camden MCS which so far has been a terrific car to commute in daily.

I have been surprised however at the handling. I never test drove "my" car having taken delivery with 4 miles... instead my wife and I tested a MCS with the 16 wheels (but with otherwise the same spec). That car handled great. Very direct steering, confidence inspiring grip. Just fun as hell.

My car is different. The suspension seems to have more "float", and the steering is not as direct. Today, thinking I was just dreaming it up, I quickly moved the wheel back and forth at low/mod speed (like an autocross slalom) and the darn thing felt totally unstable. I checked the tire pressures once home and they were to spec...

I assume this is simply due to the new tires breaking in... but I'd love to hear if this is typical, and that my little MCS will soon become the pint-sized a$s kicker I test drove.

Thanks to all.
~j.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Well .... the FIRST thing I would check is to see if the shipping blocks were removed from the springs! You would not be the first MINI to have this oversight issue!!!

YES You need to scrub off the mold release from any new tire .... and an over-zealous application of tire dressing could also be an issue.

Check all suspension components ..... especially the stamped U struts that link the rear suspension to the frame for correct tightness of the mounting bolts/nuts.... that which you see when looking under the MINI from the boot end.

Bob

Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Malakas
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply. Shipping blocks on the springs?! That would be wild. Although to be fair they didn't "detail" nor tint the car yet (Friday). So I suppose some things could be missed.

Where are these shipping blocks seen the easiest?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
praecurvo
3rd Gear
You mentioned the tester had the 16's on. What do you have on yours? Additionally, the tester almost definatly had the RFT's, does yours? This will all help.
aaron

Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Malakas
1st Gear
I believe they are Dunlop SP Sport 01?? 205-45-17

I think they are RFTs.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm guessing that Sport mode was on during your test drive, and you haven't discovered the button in your new Camden yet? That would surely produce the difference in steering sensation you're describing.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:47 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
I have the opposite problem as you...
My car has the 16" all season tires, and to me feels unstable as hell in the turns. Could the tester maybe have the sports suspension option and yours did not...sport suspension = sport springs/anti-roll bar in the rear?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Malakas
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
I'm guessing ... you haven't discovered the button in your new Camden yet? That would surely produce the difference in steering sensation you're describing.
I'm pretty sure I had it turned on... but you never know.

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Could the tester maybe have the sports suspension option and yours did not...sport suspension = sport springs/anti-roll bar in the rear?
Perhaps. If the problem doesn't resolve itself in a hundred miles or so, I am going to inquire as to the exact spec of the tester. Its not a big deal really... if a suspension upgrade will get me to where the tester is... thats ok.

The car is really fantastic. I'm putting my money on the tires just being so new...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I wonder if the MCS you test drove had the sport suspension installed on it? I have it on mine and my wife's doesn't. I think the SS comprises of a 2" thicker anti-sway bar, and different springs and struts versus stock. I can tell a little difference in the way each car handles on the road. My car does feel like it has a little less body roll than hers, but I haven't pushed either car to its limits so it's really hard to say how much the SS improves handling. Oh, and both of our cars have 17" runflats. To satisfy your curiosity, you could always call the dealership (or go back) and ask them what that MCS had. Good luck!

Edit: Haha, I guess I'm a slow typer.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Malakas
Thanks for the reply. Shipping blocks on the springs?! That would be wild. Although to be fair they didn't "detail" nor tint the car yet (Friday). So I suppose some things could be missed.

Where are these shipping blocks seen the easiest?
These are black rubber pieces that are jammed into the upper portion of the spring to limit body movement when in the Cargo Ship. If you are as old as me you might remeber spring snubbers which we inseted in coil springs to change the ride height and/or limit compression for clearance of larger tires. There was a pic posted recently but I can not find it!!!

Bob

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by silhouette88
I think the SS comprises of a 2" thicker anti-sway bar, and different springs and struts versus stock.
The sport suspension is a 17mm sway bar I think and the regular one is a 15mm sway bar, so its not a 2" difference which would be a huge bar. It depends on the difference between the test car and yours. It could have the sport suspension, it could have different tires, or the tires were already broken in where yours are not. You need to give your tires a bit to heat cycle and break in before they achieve max grip. If its still not to your liking do what I did and many have done. Get some good lowering springs to drop the car a bit and lower the center of gravity and reduce body roll. Get a good quality thicker adjustable sway bar, for the daily driver a 19mm adjustable should be fine as it can be left on the middle setting for most things and if needed adjusted inward for extra rigidity. Those 2 things should get you the feel you are looking for, but just know that with run flats on if you do that the ride will be quite harsh until you put standard tires on it.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm betting its the Tires......

Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dwebber18
The sport suspension is a 17mm sway bar I think and the regular one is a 15mm sway bar, so its not a 2" difference which would be a huge bar.
Oops, I meant millimeters. Damn English Imperial system. Thanks for the correction.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:16 PM
dale
1st Gear
Check the tire pressure!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Malakas
1st Gear
Still enjoying the car. Bumped tire pressures to 36 in front... And the miles are starting to accumulate... Things are improving.

Many many moons ago I had a VW GTI that was a ton of fun on it's 15" rims. I upgraded to 17" and it lost a little bit of steering feel. I wonder if the same is true here... The car is light enough that a change in wheels is probably noticeable.

Nevertheless - great car! I'm very glad to own it.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Glad to hear things are improving. New tires need scrubbing off of mold release and many heat cycles to reach full potential for maximum grip.