R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
These weren't suppose to be available for the JCW, but they are showing that they ARE available for them. And, of course, they are not available with the new Adaptive headlight system either. I wonder if they can be taken apart and powder coated to match the body paint? Mine is to be Midnight Black, so the black would look the best. Can't be all that difficult.

2011 Midnight Black with Red roof
ORDERED: 09/08/2010......NOT BORN YET

Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color choices are sucking big time for people ordering a Clubman S right now. They took away all three silver and only added British Racing Green II.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
I'm almost certain both EG and WS were Clubby options. I think the site is just busted. Did they get rid of Pure Silver for 2011?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Also, to anyone using ASK-MINI, you don't have to verbally speak all the commands.
When you finally get the happy go-lucky MINI guy, just hit 2 (sometimes you'll have to do it more than once to get him to shut up and move on), then enter your production #, then hit 1.
So... 2 > production number > 1, all on your keypad. You'll go straight to your status

However, if you get this woman going "we on vacation!", which I did on Labor Day and then again last night around midnight, then you can't even access the automated system

Old 09-12-2010, 02:59 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wahoo_shoe
I'm almost certain both EG and WS were Clubby options. I think the site is just busted. Did they get rid of Pure Silver for 2011?
Sparkling Silver, Pure Silver, Dark Silver: Gone!

Currently, White Silver is part of the White Silver Edition for $1,750. I found this package on Learn --> Color Features & Specs --> Clubman S --> Pricing & Full Feature List.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/07/...e-packages-us/

Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM
chakram105
3rd Gear
According to the 2011 MINI USA Brochure I posted earlier this week,

Clubman S: Pepper White, Chili Red, Ice Blue (in dec builds), Laser Blue, Eclipse Grey, Horizon Blue, White Silver, BRG II, Midnight Black

Clubman: Pepper White, Chili Red, Ice Blue (12/10), Horizon Blue, Hot Chocolate, White Silver, Sparking Silver, BRG II, Midnight Black, Pure Silver

Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
I know EG is available for ClubmanS because I liked DS a lot and was torn between it and LsB. I went LsB because that's still my favorite color (I call it annoying blue haha it's so..out there..) and I wasn't sure how EG actually looks.
The build site is really buggy right now. Add the sports package and washers and check out the build sheet. Or sport and the new conical wheels. Or the fact that half these colors are missing

Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Something else on the Configurator.....try and buy the red leather and black cloth interior, you get the Rooster Red color line. I have the Chili Red trim in the interior and don't want the Rooster Red color line, I want the Carbon Black. You can trade these on the UK site but so far it can't be done on the USA site. I know that it can be done, because we have done this on my change that I did on my order. I said, kill the JCW cloth interior, add Red leather and black cloth seats, delete Rooster red color line add Carbon Black color line and retain Chili Red door rings and dash. Codes were used to do this, but it can be done, but not on the Configurator. Got all that? Sounds worse than it actually is.

Black/Chili Red JCW

ORDERE 09/08/2010.........NOT BORN YET

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM
dertef
2nd Gear
The White Silver and Convenience pack issue is a bug, as well as the black headlights that are not available on JCWS.

The Xenon and washer/CW package question is not an issue though. The build your own tool is not the ordering system. The issue with CW pack is that it includes the washers if you select the xenons as part of different package or a standalone option. CW pack doesn’t include the washers if you don’t get the xenons. So the only way to solve this is to change the price of the washer to $0 if you have the CW pack; it will add the xenons if you pick it and don’t have the xenons yet, or it will just add the option for $0 if you already have the xenons. IN ANY CASE, they’ll be on your car if you order CW with the xenons… that’s how the ordering works.

Other complaints about inconsistent prices are similar. The tool will adjust prices based on other selections you’ve made.

White Silver packages are available for both Clubman according to my dealer.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
kind of thought that was a bug with the blackened headlights on the JCW. It has been emphasized quite emphatically that they would NOT be offered on the JCW. That was why I was surprised to see them there. The bug here is that Mini elected to NOT offer them on the JCW.

2011 Black/Red JCW
Ordered: 09/08/2010......not born or scheduled yet

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
We all know that, but those who are just looking at the configurator online might be seriously led astray. Will it lead to a ton of non-orders? Probably not. But it will lead to confusion later on and could hamper an order

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Eclipse 1
1st Gear
We all know that, but those who are just looking at the configurator online might be seriously led astray. Will it lead to a ton of non-orders? Probably not. But it will lead to confusion later on and could hamper an order
I totally agree.

I placed an order for an Eclipse Grey MCS based upon the colour shown on the configurator. 2 weeks latter it changed to a much lighter Browner colour - I nearly had a heart attack

I had to contact customer services who sent me graphic design images - still not great but put my mind at ease. I have now seen the colour in the flesh it is different again - happy with my choice, but the configurator does not give a true representation of what you are ordering - look at the green leather for example - on the UK config. it looks like a kid has used crayons although it looks great when you actually see it.

Not long to wait for delivery now - it should be at the dealer next week.....

Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
dertef
2nd Gear
But you don't order from the US or UK website. You "configure" a car and use it as the basis to place the order through the dealer. It should be clear that you are taking a chance by ordering something without seeing it beforehand. You'll be the first one driving that car but you may be in for a few surprises.

And the issue is more likely to be tied to your monitor than any website per se. Websites are optimized so that images shown are ok on most screens, but they'll never be 100% accurate and might look funky on certain monitors.
E.g., you can look at hundreds of pictures of the same car taken by different cameras, with different lighting and from different angles. It will never look 100% the same. Your monitor vs. my monitor creates the same situation...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
You can't see the order program when you're looking online. That's the point. Sitting at home, I can't know that I can order the WS and premium. If I was deadset on that combo, I probably would move on and never even enter the dealer.
Plus, there shouldn't be any "surprises". When I ordered, I knew exactly what I was getting. On the configurator, I didn't. It makes the ordering process that much more stressful too. The configurator should match the build, especially since they tell you to build your car and then print out the options sheet and give it to your MA

Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I had the same problems as well. With the JCW we were suppose to get the red ringed door panels and dash at no extra charge. On the configurator it charged $250. Then the rain sensor wipers were to be $250, but came out at $500. Somewhere along the line that got fixed. There was something else that had a charge too, but I can't remember what it was. Oh yes, the headlight washers and Cold Package, and the white turn signals both at $100.

Nothing really serious, but on my configurator it came to over $800. higher. Of course I called my *** and she said what was in was my price and if there were changes, well I would get what I was quoted, even if I made a change like I did on the seats.

What I think bothers most of us, is that they have had all the prices since the first of August. They wait to help, in their minds, get rid of the remaining 2010's, and this configuration should have had NO FLAWS, period in it. And, there are still flaws.

As for the colors. Well, one never knows. On Motoringfile, they have had live photo's of the new colors for a couple of months now. Are they perfect, no, but they give you more of what the colors are than these ever can. Even my Black & red roof color looks completely different from the configurations. There was a live picture taken of one, but in JCW Aero package, and it looks completely different from what we see here. Anyway, mines ordered and I'm happy.

2011 Black/red roofed JCW
Ordered: 09/08/2010

Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Agreed. You either end up having to pay more than expected, or you get there and say "gee, $800 cheaper!" and think you can afford to order more options, then you have to decide and blahblahblah.
If that's how MINI wants to play, they shouldn't put up an online configurator

Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
dertef
2nd Gear
geeeeshhh... You guys rather have no configurator at all? I disagree. You obviously don't understand what it takes to build such engine since there are more than a billion configurations you can select from, but anyway... Look at the engineering behind this piece for one second. You can see all little details and parts added to the interior of the car, and generate an image with solid resolution. That's pretty amazing to me. I'd like to see any other brand that's able to pull this off... especially given the volumes that MINI sells. Bigger brands sell more and have thus more $$ to spend but allow no customization at all.

You're dropping some serious money for a pretty unique car. It's time to put a smile on and enjoy the world as is... that's what driving a MINI is about... at least to me

Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Eclipse 1
1st Gear
As you can see with the attachments the issue was not with the monitor. But as you say you do take a chance, although I dont understand that a company the size of BMW do not have the correct tools in place when they are bringing a new version of a car to market i.e. poor configurators compared to many other companies, no brochures, lack of forward planning / supply pipeline in place e.g. supply issue over the standard DAB radio for all UK models apart from the MCS & JCW until 2011 etc. - It just doesnt fill you with much confidence.

I'd rather have a basic configurator that shows you accurate colours, interior trim etc. than one that shows you adding black roof lining, more speakers etc

But Yes I still ordered as I wanted the new MCS in the Eclipse grey, but sometimes things can be handled better, or is it just arrogance on the part of Mini & BMW that they will get the orders anyway.

Either way I am happy with my purchase, but I can do without the surprises on something that costs so much money.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Ordering-uk-old-config-pic.jpg   2011 Ordering-uk-new-config-pic.jpg   2011 Ordering-usa-config.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
geeeeshhh... You guys rather have no configurator at all? I disagree. You obviously don't understand what it takes to build such engine since there are more than a billion configurations you can select from, but anyway... Look at the engineering behind this piece for one second. You can see all little details and parts added to the interior of the car, and generate an image with solid resolution. That's pretty amazing to me. I'd like to see any other brand that's able to pull this off... especially given the volumes that MINI sells. Bigger brands sell more and have thus more $$ to spend but allow no customization at all.

You're dropping some serious money for a pretty unique car. It's time to put a smile on and enjoy the world as is... that's what driving a MINI is about... at least to me
lol are you dense?? Or just a fanboy? I know exactly what it takes to build an engine (engineering degree, I know something about fizicks). And a car. It's not rocket science these days, and it's not like they handmade my dash or floor mat.

If you want to talk about a grand engineering feat, car building may be. But programming a Flash-based website is taught the second year of a programmer's degree. And BMW has PLENTY of money to hire a decent programming team (go check out the most recent article on Motoringfile about BMW's success). If I'm dropping this much money on a car that's company prides itself on using the configurator to "MINI-fy" my new baby, damn straight it should work correctly! Especially after the delays...

On the other hand, if a nuke could be built out of my pure excitement and sheer joy in knowing my MINI is born tomorrow, Iran would be all over my @ss

Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
But Yes I still ordered as I wanted the new MCS in the Eclipse grey, but sometimes things can be handled better, or is it just arrogance on the part of Mini & BMW that they will get the orders anyway.

Either way I am happy with my purchase, but I can do without the surprises on something that costs so much money.
Agree, 110%. Only...LaserBlue >> EG.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Eclipse 1
1st Gear
Agree, 110%. Only...LaserBlue >> EG.
Hope you enjoy your new car also - not long to go now.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
dertef
2nd Gear
When I talked about engineering a piece I meant the build your own tool, not the car.

If you want to talk about a grand engineering feat, car building may be. But programming a Flash-based website is taught the second year of a programmer's degree.
Just to set you straight, the bugs you have discovered are not tied to the flash piece at all. It's a back-end/database issue (I'm a flash developer myself). And MINI and BMW are two separate entities with separate resources as far as my MA explained it to me.

I'm also not sure what delays you mention. The car is orderable since the date that was communicated. They might not decide to promote it right away but that's a marketing/sales decision more than a "delay".

I am a fanboy... and a proud one . I'm also a bit realistic and don't like naggers.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Eclipse 1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dertef
And MINI and BMW are two separate entities with separate resources as far as my MA explained it to me.
Not in Europe where they sometimes even share the same showroom

Originally Posted by dertef
I'm also not sure what delays you mention.
In the UK all models were advertised with DAB radio (sat. radio) as standard, then after people started placing orders they were then told via their dealers that if you placed an order very early then you were ok, you will get the DAB radio, but if ordered from mid Aug onwards, unless you ordered a MCS or JCW then you would not get this due to a supply issue, and this would not be retrofitted at a later date.
They were then told that it would not be available on all models until 2011.

Some people who had already ordered were then able to cancel if they wanted to, due to mini not keeping to their side of the contract

Anyway, life is good, and I cant wait on picking my new MCS up in a week or so.

All the best to you all.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Not nagging, I already ordered, I could care less. But I went through the frustrations of my MA not knowing things about certain options (i.e., you have to order the dimming rearview mirror to get the sides) and feel the possible pain of others. MAs will be more educated by now, but still. If someone wanted to walk into a Ford dealer right now and get a Fiesta, they'd know exactly what they're buying.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
RipCurl_Miko
Neutral
In regards to comments about the adaptive headlights. I had those on my Lexus. I originally figured I had them, but wasn't sure. I had kept my sticker and it was listed. For me personally I didn't really see a difference or at least not one that was worth around the $900 price tag the option cost. Of course they were all coming with this option at that point so I don't know why it was listed separately.

Now for the $100 price on the MINI it could be worth it or not. It's so cheap compared that it's almost like a must have to just say you have it As far as actual functionality the difference may be minimal and could just be another item to break in the future.

If I had to pick adaptive or black headlamps I'd probably go for the later because it looks better (this is assuming you couldn't do this after market) and one less item to break.

Quick Reply: R56 2011 Ordering