R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hood Scoop - completely non-functional, or?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoop - completely non-functional, or?

I was under the impression I had read that on the MCS, the hood scoop is non-functional.

But it actually does allow air into the engine area (i.e. the cutouts are for real).

Searching "hood scoop" didn't get me very far.

So, is there a purpose at all for it in the latest model years, or none at all and the air flows for no reason under the bonnet from the scoop?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Justjones
2nd Gear
for the R56 the hood scoops are non-functional. They don't open up - they are only for looks. However, for the R53s, the hood scoop is functional. It is for the intercooler.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For the R56, Mini opened up the scoop after the MY 2007.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Actually in my case, R55. I can see through the scoop into the bonnet, and if I open it up I can see out of it. i.e. air could flow, but other than flowing "over" the engine I'm not sure what much it does (cool off the heat?)

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p-melting.html

Search in '2nd generation' forums using 'melting', or 'warping' search word(s). Read through the relevant topics until you find the one that explains the air flow design and why it is not productive to compromise or modify the current hood scoop air restrictor plate design.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
isthar, there are already plenty of threads about this topic. The scoop was a main topic since the initial release of the R56 back in 2007. Please use the search function and you can find multiple threads for "melting scoops" or "nonfunctional scoops"

Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 AM
isthar
5th Gear
I did search. I searched "hood scoop" (with quotes!) and it wasn't very helpful. I'll try "nonfunctional scoop". I've seen some stuff about the melting, but that isn't the topic I wanted -- I want to know about it's purpose, not some flaw in placement...

Old 01-19-2010, 04:33 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
try using www.google.com, and add the term "site:www.northamericanmotoring.com" to the other search words

(a better search engine than that which is built into this site)

Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isthar
I was under the impression I had read that on the MCS, the hood scoop is non-functional.

But it actually does allow air into the engine area (i.e. the cutouts are for real).

Searching "hood scoop" didn't get me very far.

So, is there a purpose at all for it in the latest model years, or none at all and the air flows for no reason under the bonnet from the scoop?
Not only does it let the air in more importantly it lets the heat out. If you have a turbo it sits on top of your CAT both of which produce a great amount of heat and it needs to go somewhere. After melting my first scoop at 10K miles the dealer put on a CF scoop at which time they recommended opening up all the holes with a dremil to allow more heat out. M7 makes a couple of different products that use the scoop for increased air intake and also heat shields that protect the scoop. If you look in my gallery you can see a couple of the items I've mentioned.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Marketing's response to the early R56 buyers' WTF response upon seeing the non-functional scoop. Of course, then they had to come up with some justification for making it "functional" again.

It's not like the BMW engineers hadn't done plenty of thermal studies of the original configuration.

The scoop made sense when there was an intercooler behind it.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
isthar, there are already plenty of threads about this topic. The scoop was a main topic since the initial release of the R56 back in 2007. Please use the search function and you can find multiple threads for "melting scoops" or "nonfunctional scoops"

whats the big deal if we start a new thread maybe we want to talk about it and not just read about it ....with that said if you dont want to keep reading the same post when move on... but rememmber its the new guys that keeps sites like this going.....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OH REALLY
whats the big deal if we start a new thread maybe we want to talk about it and not just read about it
Obviously you have not read the site guidelines. There are rules here and if not followed the admins can banish you.

Specifically Rule #3 states
"SEARCH
Before posting, use the Search function to see if there has already been a thread on the same subject. Do not start identical threads or cross-post the same thread in different forums."

Full Site Guidlines here https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines

....with that said if you dont want to keep reading the same post when move on... but rememmber its the new guys that keeps sites like this going.....
And we welcome the new members but we also expect some respect from them as well as them following the rules.

But this is getting off subject and we need to get back to the original subject.

isthar - searching using the site search function is very poor as others have said use google and set the advanced setting to this site and that will help.

As for the scoop it has very little function but does let some heat out when not moving and some air in while moving but not enough to really make a difference until all the holes are opened up. Only a few holes are open in the stock scoop. Open up the rest and it will help.

Of course if your car has the stock intake it will not help bring in cooler air to the turbo as that comes from behind the drives side headlight (if I remember correctly and I am not going out in the snow to look right now)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
good idea use google and all the advertisements that pay for this site won't be seen...its a rock in a hard place i guess..some times ill post and some times ill search depends if i feel like talking about it but when it comes to product I'm posting because i want the newest info on my mods not a post from two years ago....oh well.. i didnt read rule number 3,4,or 5 but im sure its there just to keep some people in line...

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
good idea use google and all the advertisements that pay for this site won't be seen...
Actually that is totally untrue as when you use google to search it will bring up the thread page with all the advertisements any way. So the people that advertise on this site are still seen. But again off subject.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The very early R56 scoops were completely blocked. My April 2007 build R56 has the partially open scoop. The logic behind it seemed to be that opening it a little allowed air-flow from under the car and out the scoop to help cooling after the engine was stopped. Opening it up too much was not desirable because too much air coming in the scoop reduced the pressure differential between the front side and back side of the radiator. So, less cool air flowing through the radiator while driving. I believe this info came from an official source, but I don't recall for sure.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
whats the big deal if we start a new thread maybe we want to talk about it and not just read about it ....with that said if you dont want to keep reading the same post when move on... but rememmber its the new guys that keeps sites like this going.....
I never said it was a big deal nor did I ask him to refrain from creating new threads. My original post was to let him know this subject is already heavily discussed in this forum and he may find answers to his questions already. And if he felt like discussing it, he can always post on pre-existing threads. I also suggested in how he can play with different words to find different/more results using the search tool. With that said, your post has no relation to this thread but more of "what I should be doing." I'll be glad to take advice and opinions, and if you feel like doing so, please shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to chat with you. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
OK so back to the topic lets make this a good thread and post up some sites where we could make the scoop functional and has any one used these products?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
I went out and got a dremil and a short time latter have a fully functional hood scoop So now with a turbo heat shield from M7, new CF scoop from the dealer since my other one melted and open holes my bonnet is much cooler.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
its a rock in a hard place i guess..some times ill post and some times ill search depends if i feel like talking about it but when it comes to product I'm posting because i want the newest info on my mods not a post from two years ago....oh well..
What's to keep you from bumping the original thread to open up discussion again?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Maybe a moderator could merge the two into one since they are on the same topic..

Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
OK so back to the topic lets make this a good thread and post up some sites where we could make the scoop functional and has any one used these products?
good point...lol

Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
This is the coolest thing I've seen offered:

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=66044

Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
This is the coolest thing I've seen offered:

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=66044
i've seen those.. did you get one? they look like they make sense

Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikemc
i've seen those.. did you get one? they look like they make sense
No I don't, but if I was to go the intake route, I'd be all over this, as the air would be considerably cooler than that in the engine compartment...especially great for a turbocharged engine.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
spinned
4th Gear
Since the stock scoop is pretty much nonfunctional, I was thinking about installing a modular radar dectector behind mine.

Quick Reply: R56 Hood Scoop - completely non-functional, or?