R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I'm scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
larrydk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm scared

I'm scared.

So many posts about bad things happening to new minis, waiting for the hammer to fall.

Anyone have no problem stories?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
09 S, 3 1/2 months in, 5000 miles, zero problems.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another one of these threads? Just harden the **** up and buy one.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
6000 miles and no problems at all

Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cartar452
Another one of these threads? Just harden the **** up and buy one.
+1

Even if you're one of the unlucky ones, a few days in the shop within 20,000 miles is still worth what you get every other day you drive your Mini.

14,000 miles. Problems- 1.) Leaking water pump after 1,000 miles, fixed in one day. 2.) Window problem, needed to be reprogrammed. Fixed in 4 hours.

I haven't regretted it for a minute, and neither will you. Go buy a Mini!!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
driverphil
3rd Gear
We have an 08 Cooper and an 09 Cooper Clubman.

No issues to report, sorry.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
LONO
2nd Gear
18,000 miles have not been back to the dealer once. I change my own oil.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Have a 2008 Clubman and if I did have problems they were addressed quickly. Problems - high pressure fuel pump, and sunroof issue. All were taken care of quickly with no cost to me. I have had other cars which required a lot more attention not to mention my INFAMOUS 2004 VW Touareg V8..it required MONTHLY service for various reasons!
The MINI (no matter which one you get) is FUN and a joy to drive. It lets you be frugal when you want high mpg, and at the same time lets you "drive it like you stole it!". Very comfortable for a small car, and gives you the sense of a quality and safe ride.
I always miss my MINI when I leave town and have to drive a rental (recently in San Diego drove a Sebring Convert...Crapler..from Thrifty TERRIBLE!) BTW - Thrifty Car Rental in San diego - avoid them like the plague - LONG lines, small lot, high mileage cars!
If you want a fun car, realible (no matter what the "rags" say) go a head and get the MINI already!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
AVMini101
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by larrydk
I'm scared.

So many posts about bad things happening to new minis, waiting for the hammer to fall.

Anyone have no problem stories?
I understand what you are thinking. I just took delivery of my Clubman. While waiting for the car, and of course before I ordered it, I read a lot of the posts. There are questions about problems all over the place. But I guess I think about it this way. Most of those posts are people looking for help in one way or another. Of course there are exceptions. But with most folks asking questions, looking for help, and or complaining, you wonder about the car in general. Rarely do folks post something like "just wanted to say everything's fine!"
Think of it this way. If you spent a whole lot of time just sitting in a doctors office or hospital, watching and listening to all of the patients talking and comparing notes, you'd start to wonder if there were ANY healthy people around. Not many folks go to the doctor just to say "just wanted to say everything's fine!"

Every make/model of car has its good and bad points. If you just wait for something to go wrong (and it just might), when it does you will say "AHA, I knew it." Instead, get the car and enjoy it.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 AM
TAS
1st Gear
28,000 miles on my MCS 07, no issues except a few buzzes that the dealer addressed quickly.

Just remember, online forums usually get complaints more often than tales of "nothing has gone wrong lately".

Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
35k miles on my 2008 MCS. Had a latch replaced during a regular service. No other problems. Great car, very reliable as my daily driver thus far.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
srmach05
2nd Gear
08 MCS, 19k miles, no problems.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
07 MCS with 20,689 and no problems

Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
People who don't post on NAM don't have problems with their MINIs...So...if you only go by the small percentage that do have problems w/ their MINIs that do post...you will never get into the most fun car w/ +30MPG...

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I have a huge problem with mi MINI, and nobody is helping.

I have a job that eats up 40 hours a week, sometimes more with emergency responses. When it was my Jeep GC, i didn't care that much. This is different.

That is time I could spend enjoying driving. It is quality bonding time I am being denied. There are twisty roads out there that need to be driven. I want my share!

Nobody is even trying to help.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Window problem . It went up and down like a yo-yo . Camsoline problem . Replaced wheel arches . Problem fixed took 9 hrs at dealership . Only have 4,400 miles so far love my Mini ! Drove to Memphis on 4th of July with 4 people and our dog in car and it was sweet ! Got 37 mpg and had had a blast In Memphis . BQ was great , fire works where great . Elvis rocks !

Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
08 MINI- I've had it since April 2008 and have close to 14,000 miles. Only problem has been the window issue that many of us have been talking about. I've brought it in numerous times for it but other than that, eveything is

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I had the cold start problem, which was fixed, and now it sings. Just a delightful engine. The door handles needed greasing, because my little Spongbob armed daughter couldn't squeeze the handle. And after the coldstart fix, the CEL came on and I had to have some actuator replaced the next day (I blame the mechanic there, not the car.)

My Lexus had three recalls in the same period.

The good news is that I got to drive two loaners! I had a ton of fun driving the JustACooper!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
+1

Even if you're one of the unlucky ones, a few days in the shop within 20,000 miles is still worth what you get every other day you drive your Mini.

14,000 miles. Problems- 1.) Leaking water pump after 1,000 miles, fixed in one day. 2.) Window problem, needed to be reprogrammed. Fixed in 4 hours.

I haven't regretted it for a minute, and neither will you. Go buy a Mini!!
Some people don't have the time or the money to purchase anything other then reliable transportation from day 1.

Lets be honest, MINI dealerships don't exactly dot the landscape.

If my MINI was in the shop even ONE time, I would be pissed. I don't have time to spend 2-3 hours picking up or dropping off the car at a shop.

OP, if you are truly concerned about workmanship and reliability look at the Honda Civic Si or other highly rated Japanese makes. You will have better odds at getting a quality car. The MINI in 2007 was a recommended buy with Consumer Reports (I seem to recall).

But the MINI dealerships are few and far between and their quality record is not spotless.

That said, I will not post my experience with my car for fear of jinxing my car Good luck and have fun with your car!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
Some people don't have the time or the money to purchase anything other then reliable transportation from day 1.

Lets be honest, MINI dealerships don't exactly dot the landscape.

If my MINI was in the shop even ONE time, I would be pissed. I don't have time to spend 2-3 hours picking up or dropping off the car at a shop.

OP, if you are truly concerned about workmanship and reliability look at the Honda Civic Si or other highly rated Japanese makes. You will have better odds at getting a quality car. The MINI in 2007 was a recommended buy with Consumer Reports (I seem to recall).

But the MINI dealerships are few and far between and their quality record is not spotless.

That said, I will not post my experience with my car for fear of jinxing my car Good luck and have fun with your car!
I agree with the dealerships being pretty far apart. Although Mini is opening up a bunch of new ones soon. And fortunately I've never had to deal with a long trip to the dealer. The two cities I've lived in have had Mini dealers within 10 minutes.

Every car is going to have it's quirks. I was just saying that the car itself makes the little problems worth it. (Plus it doesn't help that I impulsively recommend a Mini to everyone, no matter what)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Agent.COOPER
3rd Gear
Only a month and 700 miles in on my car, but no problems yet... hopefully there won't be any. My Jeep was nothing BUT problems so I'm amazed to see 700 miles without smoke billowing from the engine... knock on wood...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I agree with the dealerships being pretty far apart. Although Mini is opening up a bunch of new ones soon.

Any idea where? I guess that's my biggest complaint, driving 2 hours to get regular service.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey if there is a BMW dealership they will service you car.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:02 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
Any idea where? I guess that's my biggest complaint, driving 2 hours to get regular service.
Yep:

The first of the 17 dealerships will be opened in Birmingham, Alabama later this year. Other cities on the list are Pensacola, Florida; Alexandria, Virginia; Austin, Texas; Seattle, Washington; Fort Myers, Florida; El Paso, Texas; Ontario, California; Louisville, Kentucky; Raleigh, North Carolina; Knoxville, Tennessee; Loveland, Colorado; Madison, Wisconsin; Mount Laurel, New Jersey; Allentown, Pennsylvania; San Diego, California and Tempe, Arizona.

Got that from:
http://www.thegreenmotorist.com/inde...ships-planned/

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
My '03 has been on jack stands for two weeks waiting for a new power steering pump/fan. Am I pissed? Yes. Will I get rid of my MINI? Not on your life!! Not only are these fun to own, drive, work on, and modify, they can be a link to unexpected joys. Clubs, National Events, car shows, new friends, family bonding, etc.. Is this the car for all? No. Will it let you down? Maybe. Will you have fun owning one? YES!!

ps
Dog the Bunny Hunter.

Quick Reply: R56 I'm scared