R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I know, we have one. But if you still put your hand on it, its still very hot. The heat shield and this stuff together I think would be the fix. Not pretty, but functional
Isnt the idea of the heat shield to get hot rather than the scoop. Obviously eventually the heat would seep out of the heat sink but it is large so that the heat will be dispersed across the hood. It's supposed to spread the heat, not eliminate it...same thing a radiator does only it does it with air.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by malteseracer
Isnt the idea of the heat shield to get hot rather than the scoop. Obviously eventually the heat would seep out of the heat sink but it is large so that the heat will be dispersed across the hood. It's supposed to spread the heat, not eliminate it...same thing a radiator does only it does it with air.
I understand that. Hence the name, "shield" and not, "eliminator". I am just saying that the shield still gets hot, not near as hot without it, but hot. Adding the heat material onto the hood should, completley, fix the problem

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
RedDog888
1st Gear
If you wanna do what the pro racers do then use Gold Reflective Heat Barrier Film $$$ but looks gooooood!: You'll see this on GP, ALMS, Grand Am, most pro race teams, use it also for barrier to dirvers area, but then again most of them have unlimited money.....or so it seems.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1838

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 AM
RedDog888
1st Gear
Ohhh forgot to mention, you apply the film to the underside of your hood in areas you having heat soak problems.....area right above the turbo. Also I disagree possible with the scoop being openend up causing any significant backpressure to air coming in full force through the radiator. Don't forget, you car sucks.....meaning on the bottom the air is being sucked out also, not needing only forced air. Just my opion. I removed the plastic gill and then installed a a deflector about 4" in with some holes in it to control percentage of deflection toward the tubo area. I do notice after running that the hood area is much cooler. Made deflector out of SS with 90 degree bend giving about 2 1/2 " of deflection. I can vary the amount by covering up holes, 4 one inch holes.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tgs91
Hey guys,

I apparently got one of the thin plastic hood scoops on my R56 cause it started warping.

Suppose we can have a discussion on why BMW's only response has been to add thickness to the plastic they use or why they do not make use of additional air flow by making it a real hood scoop. Maybe save that for another day.

I talked to my SA and it is under warranty and I took Mark (Lotise's) suggestion and asked him if I could pay the diff for a carbon fiber one. No problem. Gonna cost me about $180 diff. Not crazy about the price but it does take care of the problem.

This brings up two questions-

1) I was also looking at a M7 heat shield if I had to stick with another plastic one. Is there any reason to get the heat shield with the CF scoop?

2) On my mod wish list I'm thinkin' about one of those air injection setups that Way Motor Works and other Mod Shops offers. I can't think how a CF hood scoop is gonna mess with those plans but want to put it out there for feedback
I know this is a little late but I did the same thing. The dealer made me pay 100.00 difference....

Having said that, the carbon fiber sucked in with heat also. No where near the same amount as the plastic one but nonetheless, you could see slight indentations.

On my '09, I opened up the grille and put some insulation material under the hood. With almost 9K miles, I still have no indentations.

Mark

Old 08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RedDog888
If you wanna do what the pro racers do then use Gold Reflective Heat Barrier Film $$$ but looks gooooood!: You'll see this on GP, ALMS, Grand Am, most pro race teams, use it also for barrier to dirvers area, but then again most of them have unlimited money.....or so it seems.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1838
Really not that bad..($). It wouldn't take much. Might be worth a try.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
So which would be better the gold or the aluminized sheeting?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Well the dealer didn't return my emails, so I stopped by there with my scoop problem today. They ordered a new one, and said that it will take 3+weeks for it to get there... I asked what's gonna happen when it melts again, and they said they will just keep replacing it. They weren't too keen on giving out the CF scoop, they even didn't want to entertain the idea of me paying the difference...

I guess I'll just keep going back there every time it melts..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I just got a call from my dealer that my hood scoop finally came in. I took in for service 2 months ago and they just got it in. Yahoo. My SA said it is a new design that's why it took so long. Hopefully this will be the only time it needs to be replaced.

Last edited by willsblackmini08; 08-15-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
I was told that it will be multiple replacements... I hope I don't have to wait 2 months for my damn scoop to arrive..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willsblackmini08
My SA said it is a Jew design that's why it took so long.
Whoa, that is a typo, isn't it?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I just got a call from my dealer that my hood scoop finally came in. I took in for service 2 months ago and they just got it in. Yahoo. My SA said it is a Jew design that's why it took so long. Hopefully this will e the only time it needs to be replaced.
Shall we count down how many posts before the posts roll in about that comment???

Yeah, it's a cheap design and the JCW carbon fiber one is even worse. You'd think for as much as they charge....

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 08-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
"Jew design"
Tisk tisk...

Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
If it wasn't a typo, Un freaking believable comment, willsblack minio8. Surely you jest? Even so, .

Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Dudes, read the sentence, i'm sure he meant "new". The "j" is right above the "n".

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Now I wonder when I replace my scoop and I plan on going with the CF look if I should have the M7 Shield with me or the heat tape stop around the corner and put it on or drive the 168 miles from the nearest dealer to my home and then do it? Since its a "new" design and all.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I think someone needs to make a ribbed copper scoop to suck that heat out of there.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Tron Chief,

Remember, the heat problem doesn't occur unless the car is stopped in hot weather traffic for long periods or stopped altogether with the engine off. As long as your drive home is mostly highway speeds, there shouldn't be any excessive heat. Just open your hood when you get home to let it cool. That's the least costly way to avoid the heat problem, but a pia.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:19 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Could willsblackmini08 have meant "Jcw" design, not "new" design?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Dudes, read the sentence, i'm sure he meant "new". The "j" is right above the "n".

I'm glad one of us is smart enough to realize that....

Mark

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Whoa, that is a typo, isn't it?
Yes and I just fixed it. I reply to posts from time to time on my iPhone and if you are off by just a bit it changes the word to what it "thought" you were trying to say. I just typed this on a PC to make sure there were no problems. Trust me I would never say that in any way. I do apoligize if it offended anyone on here.

And thank you to everyone who realized it was a typo.

Last edited by willsblackmini08; 08-15-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
I know, we have one. But if you still put your hand on it, its still very hot. The heat shield and this stuff together I think would be the fix. Not pretty, but functional
Are you serious? Of course it's hot! Put your hand anywhere on the engine after running and it will be muy caliente.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Hell I touched my STB when my car had been sitting in the sun for a few hours and it was hot as all get out. But than my car is black.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Are you serious? Of course it's hot! Put your hand anywhere on the engine after running and it will be muy caliente.
This gets old having to explain posts. I said what I said in response to a gentleman saying that the M7 shield already had heat resistant material on it. I said I understood that, but it still gets hot . Yes everything get's hot under the hood, but the area directly over the turbo gets EXTREMELY hot.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Hell I touched my STB when my car had been sitting in the sun for a few hours and it was hot as all get out. But than my car is black.
UFF DA! I've always thought the finger tip heat sensor was kind of like the Norwegian wet finger voltage tester . Ja, I be Norski!

Quick Reply: R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question