R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for those who are paying the difference for a jcw cf hood scoop... how much are they charging for a regular hood scoop?

and will they match the price of morristown minis jcw cf hood scoop? they are selling theres for 247

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Ram2 Scoop And Air Intake Temp

Just put the M7 scoop on last night as the final step to kill the scoop droop Troll. Took Beelzebub out today to see if there was any effect on air intake temps in stop & go driving. BIG TIME EFFECT!! Before, my ScanGauge would show a 20-40 degree increase over ambient temps. Now, it consistently shows an increase of only 10-12 degrees. With the scoop and Alta's High Performance foam air filter, I think I may have stumbled across a true COAI (Cold "Outside" Air Intake). Don't plan to paint the scoop as it looks nasty on DS/B. I BE HAPPY CAMPER!!!

Dwight

PS: As soon as I pulled the OEM scoop, I knew why the 1st one melted. Over engineered and made of POS plastic.

Last edited by Dwight Walhood; 07-31-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM
corduroy
1st Gear
My hood scoops starting to sagg too

When I showed the service guy at my local dealership he said that they could replace mine with another one, but he wouldn't let me get the one in chrome and let me pay the difference...

I told him I'd wait and decide when I come back for my free oil change.

Anyone else have this experience or does this sound like bs and my dealer's just trying to rip me?

A while back my scoop started showing the start of the "melt". I went to remove it so that I could open the other holes in the grill. In the process of releasing the center mount I discovered it was pulling down quite hard on the center of the scoop. (where the dip was starting). To me it seems that the scoops are not melting from heat but are rather being pulled down by the center mounting clip when hot causing the dip. I pushed my center clip up to release the clip so that the scoop is no longer being pulled down by it. My dip went away and so far no more "Melting" my scoop looks as good as new.
I gave this a try and "unclipped" the little center pin last night. I just checked it tonight and I think the heat sank the clip back in because it was re-clipped again! I unclipped it again, but I'm not sure how effective this'll be... maybe my scoop is too far gone for this to work

Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corduroy
...I gave this a try and "unclipped" the little center pin last night. I just checked it tonight and I think the heat sank the clip back in because it was re-clipped again! I unclipped it again, but I'm not sure how effective this'll be... maybe my scoop is too far gone for this to work
I have had the same experience. I'm going to check it periodically and give that plastic pin a push whenever it's needed to keep it from pulling the scoop down. So far my scoop has almost gone back to it's original flatness.

BTW, my dealership offered me an unpainted CF scoop at no cost. If I want it painted it will run me an extra $41. Not a bad deal but I'm going to wait a little longer to see if there is an official fix for this or wait for my scoop to get really warped before I have them replace it. Good luck all.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
corduroy
1st Gear
I have had the same experience. I'm going to check it periodically and give that plastic pin a push whenever it's needed to keep it from pulling the scoop down. So far my scoop has almost gone back to it's original flatness.
I'm considering just sawing that little pin off because I've unclipped that thing at least a dozen times and it just does not want to stay unclipped... Any thoughts?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Guys, just thought I'd "remention" this solution. Some of you will remember I had the sagging scoop on my '08MCS. It started just shy of 3K miles.

I had heated the scoop up under pressure and formed it somewhat straight.
At that point, I opened up all the little holes with a dremel tool so the mesh scoop was actually an open mesh scoop.

Though the scoop was back to where I "formed it back to", it never got worse. (I later traded the scoop under warranty for 100 to get the carbon fiber scoop. (even it sunk a bit))

Point is, when I bought my '09 JCW, I immediately did the same scoop opening thing and at 9K miles, there is no deforming going on.

So unless the manufacturer changed materials (highly unlikely) it seems that maybe the scoop just needs more air passing through it.

I did put a thin strip of insulation under the hood to help, (not sure if it did or not)

The only other measure is when I'm doing a track day, I always open the hood afterwards just to let it cool down.

You may want to try the opening of the scoop trick.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Update-

I replaced with the M7 heatshield at the end of July after the dealer did a warranty swap out (they added some air vent holes in the scoop or MINI is starting to add them)

On awesome trip to MITM going up and down mountains and so far no prob's

Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
Picking up an '09 (June build) this week. Guess this is something I'll have to keep an eye on.

I'm inclined to just remove the entire mesh grille from the scoop and run it that way. Anecdotal evidence from some of the posts I've read seems to suggest that this might be one possible way to go...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
FWIW my 09 Clubbie S came from the factory with portions of the plastic scoop grill cut out. Thinking about just removing the entire grill for max air flow to the engine compartment - does it just snap out some how?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
FWIW my 09 Clubbie S came from the factory with portions of the plastic scoop grill cut out. Thinking about just removing the entire grill for max air flow to the engine compartment - does it just snap out some how?
if yours is like the one they just swapped out on mine I would not remove anymore, you'll loose allot of structural support IMO

Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
To follow up on the engine compartment air pressure thing: I think what happens is the scoop guides the air pressure that's generated by the car's forward motion into the engine compartment behind the radiator. This is the same pressure that's guided onto the radiator's front by the grill. Since air flows from high pressure to low, any lessening of the pressure difference between the front of the radiator and behind it will result in less air flowing through the radiator and less cooling.

It may never go to zero airflow because of the difference in surface areas between the front grill and scoop, but I'd expect that opening the grate may make a significant difference. No way to know for sure without testing.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 AM
corduroy
1st Gear
After sawing my middle pin off, I used a hair dryer to heat the top of my scoop and sorta formed it back by hand. I also use this for sunglasses sometimes

I used a dremel as you suggested and opened up just the middle portion of my grill. Mine already has half the holes open... I'm not sure how much this will help but time will tell

If this doesn't work out, I may just have to buy a chrome one and open up all the holes before installing it... This all seems like a lot of trouble over something that has little to no performance value.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If this doesn't work out, I may just have to buy a chrome one and open up all the holes before installing it... This all seems like a lot of trouble over something that has little to no performance value.
Isn't the chrome scoop just chromed plastic? Why wouldn't it melt just as eaisliy?

What you really need is a stamped aluminum scoop. That would conduct heat nicely, and you could have it anodized any color you want.

For $50,000 I'll hand hammer a sterling sliver one for you. That would conduct heat even better than aluminum.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
After sawing my middle pin off, I used a hair dryer to heat the top of my scoop and sorta formed it back by hand. I also use this for sunglasses sometimes

I used a dremel as you suggested and opened up just the middle portion of my grill. Mine already has half the holes open... I'm not sure how much this will help but time will tell

The chrome scoop is plastic too and subject to the same problem.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
To follow up on the engine compartment air pressure thing: I think what happens is the scoop guides the air pressure that's generated by the car's forward motion into the engine compartment behind the radiator. This is the same pressure that's guided onto the radiator's front by the grill. Since air flows from high pressure to low, any lessening of the pressure difference between the front of the radiator and behind it will result in less air flowing through the radiator and less cooling.

It may never go to zero airflow because of the difference in surface areas between the front grill and scoop, but I'd expect that opening the grate may make a significant difference. No way to know for sure without testing.
From what I've read that 'at speed' very little airflow would go into a hood scoop where it is located on a MCS. Most flow is found near the bumper, duh, and the cowl/bottom of window. There is some of course.

Would be interesting to test your high to low pressure radiator theory

Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Guys, just thought I'd "remention" this solution. Some of you will remember I had the sagging scoop on my '08MCS. It started just shy of 3K miles.

I had heated the scoop up under pressure and formed it somewhat straight.
At that point, I opened up all the little holes with a dremel tool so the mesh scoop was actually an open mesh scoop.

Though the scoop was back to where I "formed it back to", it never got worse. (I later traded the scoop under warranty for 100 to get the carbon fiber scoop. (even it sunk a bit))

Point is, when I bought my '09 JCW, I immediately did the same scoop opening thing and at 9K miles, there is no deforming going on.

So unless the manufacturer changed materials (highly unlikely) it seems that maybe the scoop just needs more air passing through it.

I did put a thin strip of insulation under the hood to help, (not sure if it did or not)

The only other measure is when I'm doing a track day, I always open the hood afterwards just to let it cool down.

I see all these Minis sitting in the mall parking lot with their hoods open...

Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
corduroy
1st Gear
Isn't the chrome scoop just chromed plastic? Why wouldn't it melt just as eaisliy?

What you really need is a stamped aluminum scoop. That would conduct heat nicely, and you could have it anodized any color you want.
From what I've read all the MINI scoops have some plastic and will warp eventually... So if it's gonna melt anyway, I want the chrome one just because I think it'd look good on my car

This stamped aluminum idea sounds awesome, and ANODIZED!! I don't think I've seen anodized aluminum on any car. I would love this, sounds unreasonably pricey though.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Fiberglass or carbon fiber would work nicely...
http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...cat=322&page=3

Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 AM
sequence
6th Gear
so... for those of who have the CF scoops, are they warping as well? Im considering replacing my warped OEM plastic one with a CF unit.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
JCW CF Scoops Melting, Too?

I've seen posts in other forums stating that the JCW CF scoops are sagging, too. Apparently it just takes longer. That and the cost is why I went with M7's fiberglass scoop. No problem so far, but I only have 1K miles since install. Certainly been hot enough to test lately. 100+ the last 4 days!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
so... for those of who have the CF scoops, are they warping as well? Im considering replacing my warped OEM plastic one with a CF unit.
I personally wouldn't do it. Like I said, my cf scoop did a little warpage around the clip mounts.... no where near what the plastic one did but nonetheless, you could see it.

Having said that, it was more noticeable because I painted my carbon fiber to match my car, I think the carbon fiber doesn't show as much if left alone.

I've got 9K miles on my JCW now and no warpage at all. No doubt in my mind that opening the scoop helped.

Mark

Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I've got 9K miles on my JCW now and no warpage at all. No doubt in my mind that opening the scoop helped. Mark
yeah but doesnt opening it up allow more airborne road crapola to get into the engine bay? I find that with this car, as opposed to my 05 S, I clean the engine much more frequently.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:12 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
for those who are paying the difference for a jcw cf hood scoop... how much are they charging for a regular hood scoop?

and will they match the price of morristown minis jcw cf hood scoop? they are selling theres for 247
The service manager said that if I wanted cf that I'd only pay the diff between the painted OEM warranty replacement ($170) and the unpainted CF version (about $300).

Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kavatski
I'm inclined to just remove the entire mesh grille from the scoop and run it that way. Anecdotal evidence from some of the posts I've read seems to suggest that this might be one possible way to go...
Yeah I guess that's OK if U dont mind frying grasshoppers and butterflies with yr turbo's heat shield, or U live in a relatively bug-free area

Oh WHAT to do with a non-functional hood scoop!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
yeah but doesnt opening it up allow more airborne road crapola to get into the engine bay? I find that with this car, as opposed to my 05 S, I clean the engine much more frequently.
I'm not the most qualified person to speak about keeping an engine bay clean but if it is different, it's a neglible amount.

The service manager said that if I wanted cf that I'd only pay the diff between the painted OEM warranty replacement ($170) and the unpainted CF version (about $300).

Not sure if it's negotiable but Charleston Mini charged me 100 to upgrade from the original scoop to the carbon fiber.

Quick Reply: R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question