R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Critique our "Build"... advice requested for purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critique our "Build"... advice requested for purchase!

Hi Everyone,

Well ever since driving a 2008 MCS I really need to have one of these! This will be a daily driver for my wife and although she is fine with manual transmissions, the automatic is her choice until we test drive one soon.

So here is our build and looking for specifics on pros/cons of each....I am not a Mini expert at all so some of the things in the "build" may be unnecessary for us.

Some notes:

1. Daily Driver for my wife
2. She absolutely wants NO bonnet stripes
3. If we were to go with Automatic then No Limited Slip, but if we went manual, how much will this help?
4. We get very little snow here in the high desert but we do go to Colorado quite a bit. With that being said, if snow was in the forecast we probably would take our jeep.
5. Not sure if Factory alarm is the WTG or Dealer install....differences?
6. This may sound strange but does the wing come with the MCS or is it an add on we overlooked. I saw the JCW one but she does not like it at all.

Here is the build:

My 2009 MINI Cooper S

Base MSRP* $21,950
Destination & Handling $650

PAINT IT
Sparkling Silver Body Color $500
White Roof/Mirrors $0

PACKAGES
Convenience Package $1,750
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Comfort Bluetooth w/Leather Multi-function Steering
Premium Package $1,000
Automatic AC
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction
Cold Weather Package $500
Heated Powerfold Mirrors & Washer Jets
Heated Front Seats
Sport Package $1,500
White Turn Signals
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash
Dynamic Traction Control
17" Crown-Spoke (Perf. Run Flats)

PERFORMANCE
Rear Fog Lamp $100
6-Speed Auto w/Agitronic Mode $1,250
All Season Tires $0
Dynamic Stability Control STD
Front Fog Lamps STD

COCKPIT
Dark Grey Color Line INC
Leather: Punch Carbon Black $1,500
Interior Surface Checkered Silver STD
Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
Sport Seats STD
On-Board Computer STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $30,700

JOHN COOPER WORKS ACCESSORIES**
No selections in this category

GENUINE MOTORING ACCESSORIES**
Chrome Bonnet Scoop (installation not incl.) $159
Mud Flaps front and rear axle (installation not incl.) $66
Invisishield: Bonnet Kit (installation not incl.) $142
Invisishield: Bumper Kit (installation not incl.) $135
Invisishield: Fog Light Kit (installation not incl.) $20
Black Rubber Floor Mat (front) (installation not incl.) $55
Black Rubber Floor Mat (back) (installation not incl.) $30
Black Rubber Floor Mat (boot) (installation not incl.) $65

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $672
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $30,700

TOTAL COMBINED $31,372

Hack away at this as everyone's advice is appreciated!

Regards,

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's quite a loaded configuration. If you could find a similar car on the lot you should be able to get a deal on it since there's a lot of profit built into that configuration. I'm not sure what kind of discount you would get if ordered.

I'm not a big fan of the 17inch wheels for a daily driver. The ride is a bit stiff and will magnify the bumps on any poor roads. Just my opinion but the standard 16 inch wheels are in the sweet spot between the just-a-cooper's standard 15 and the upgraded 17s on the S.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I like it, although I'd pass on all the "genuine motoring accessories", and definitely pass on the alarm. Alarms are pointless in this day and age.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
wow...

You are now getting into the JCW and Convertible Range.

I'm pretty sure you can find your color at the dealership and get some of the packages added in already, car mats thrown in at a lower cost in the $26-28K range.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisTKD
That's quite a loaded configuration. If you could find a similar car on the lot you should be able to get a deal on it since there's a lot of profit built into that configuration. I'm not sure what kind of discount you would get if ordered.

I'm not a big fan of the 17inch wheels for a daily driver. The ride is a bit stiff and will magnify the bumps on any poor roads. Just my opinion but the standard 16 inch wheels are in the sweet spot between the just-a-cooper's standard 15 and the upgraded 17s on the S.
For some reason we could not get the 16" wheels which is what I would want...not a fan of bigger rims. Will check out the configurator again and see what I can come up with!

What do you mean by the profit built into the config? Unsure on that?

Originally Posted by JudgeS
I like it, although I'd pass on all the "genuine motoring accessories", and definitely pass on the alarm. Alarms are pointless in this day and age.
Actually, my wife really really insists on the Alarm. If you do not get an alarm, doesn't the mini not run unless the key fob is used anyhow? If I can confirm this then she may bite off on the exclusion of this.

Originally Posted by inimini2007
You are now getting into the JCW and Convertible Range.

I'm pretty sure you can find your color at the dealership and get some of the packages added in already, car mats thrown in at a lower cost in the $26-28K range.
I checked online and could not find one at the dealer that had all the options that my wife liked. If I "could" find one on a lot that had all of that and get it in that range, then a "Vacation" to go pick her up would be in order thats for certain!

We are in New Mexico so there is only one dealership close...Colorado/Arizona/West Texas may be options to look into!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisTKD

Chris,

The 17" wheels come with the sport package....wondering if they could put the 16" ones on instead at some sort of a price discount perhaps?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
Actually, my wife really really insists on the Alarm. If you do not get an alarm, doesn't the mini not run unless the key fob is used anyhow? If I can confirm this then she may bite off on the exclusion of this.
Absolutely, the alarm is just an added noise maker, car wont start w/o key fob regardless.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When was the last time anyone heard a car alarm and called the cops? Last time i heard a car alarm it was outside my apartment at 4am, going off for 2 hours and the only reason someone would call the cops was because i was ready to set the damn thing ablaze.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
You guys have ME sold on the removal of the alarm.

Do the 2009 MCS come with the spoiler? I really like that but could not find the option of the spoiler aside from the JCW one that we do not want.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
coyle996
2nd Gear
I've read a few threads on how the leather is not worth the money. Guys with leather please chime in.

Other than that you pretty much have every option, nothing to add. . .

Invisishield is awesome.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing I'd say change. Ultimately it's your (and your wife's) decision. Get what you want, you'll regret it if you don't. I'd go for the alarm if it makes you wife feel more comfortable (the factory one - I want the yahoos at the dealer doing as little as possible). It may also help on car insurance.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
We really need to get to the dealership on Saturday to check things out. My biggest gripe is that many, if not all, of the dealerships are closed on Sundays.

I never did comprehend that and probably never will.

We are big fans of leather seating in vehicles. I haven't had a vehicle with the "Leatherette" option before but it actually may be worth looking into.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
kansasbob98
2nd Gear
You get the "standard rear wing" on the S as regular equipment. - no extra cost.
Not sure or the weather in NM but I would skip the cold weather package. Some who have purchased complain that the seats get too hot!
I chose the black checked cloth for the seats.
Baron Mini here in K.C. has lots of MINIs in stock. Give them a try.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
I've been pretty happy with the leatherette in mine. It's comfortable as so far has shown zero signs of wear. Not as 'supple' as some of the leathers I've seen over the years but not like old work truck vinyl certainly. My biggest complaint is that it comes in limited colours.

I really like the cold weather package - not sure if it changed much in the second gen cars but mine has two settings and it's great on cold mornings.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Options are personal and subjective, but from my perspective, I'd be a lot more selective. A $31,372 MCS is a very expensive car for what you're getting and IMHO, a very poor value, especially when you consider that with the heavy discounting these days, similar money can get you into a G37 or 328i. At $20-$25K a MCS makes a great sporty FWD runabout, but at $30-$35K it makes a lousy luxury sports/GT car.

- Mark

Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
forum glitch

Last edited by Robin Casady; 05-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
My 2009 MINI Cooper S
PACKAGES
Convenience Package $1,750
Universal Garage Door Opener
Have the Universal Garage Door Opener. Don't like it. It is a long reach from my seating position to the button. Also doesn't work with all garage doors. I have my opener Velcroed to console just in front of the passenger seat, where it is an easy reach.

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
Comfort Access System
Comfort Bluetooth w/Leather Multi-function Steering
Have them, like them.

Premium Package $1,000
Automatic AC
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
I like auto AC. Not a fan of the MINI sunroof. It is large and the screen doesn't work well. Might cook you in the desert sun. Also, more prone to problems than without. There are quite a few threads about sunroofs here. Check them out. It is a love/hate option. Best to make an informed decision.

Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction
Cold Weather Package $500
Heated Powerfold Mirrors & Washer Jets
Heated Front Seats
Love the heated seats and Multi-function wheel.

Sport Package $1,500
White Turn Signals
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash
Dynamic Traction Control
17" Crown-Spoke (Perf. Run Flats)
With Dynamic Traction Control you probably don't need the limited slip differential, unless you are doing AutoX or racing.

I sold my 17" Crown-Spoke wheels in the marketplace forum here. I first went to lighter-weight 17" wheels, then bought a set 16x7 Rota Slipstreams for $169 each. I think 16" is a better choice for a daily driver. The ride is more comfortable, and the lighter weight is a bigger performance benefit than the shorter sidewalls of the 17". A 16x7 wheel (stock 16" are 16x6.5) will take 205/50-16 or 205/55-16 tires. So, you get the tread width of factory 17" tires and the comfort of a taller sidewall.

PERFORMANCE
Rear Fog Lamp $100
Like them.

6-Speed Auto w/Agitronic Mode $1,250
All Season Tires $0
Dynamic Stability Control STD
Front Fog Lamps STD
Test drive both transmissions before deciding.

Unless you will be driving in snow, I would consider a good set of summer tires. You can get better dry and rain handling and braking with a summer tire. All Seaons seem to get compromised for the ability to handle snow.

COCKPIT
Dark Grey Color Line INC
Leather: Punch Carbon Black $1,500
Not that fond of the look of the punch leathers. IMO, the best looking leather seats for the MINI are the Redwood Lounge Leather and the Tuscan Beige Lounge Leather. I didn't get the Redwood because I wasn't sure it would look good with Pure Silver. From photos, I think I was mistaken, and regret not getting it. I didn't get the black lounge leather because I think the white piping looks very Mickey Mouse. I ended up with cloth seats in subtle black checks. They are fine, but don't have lumbar support.

Lounge Leather comes with lumbar support adjustment. Not sure whether punch leather does or not.

Interior Surface Checkered Silver STD
I went with Piano Black, which looks much better than the metalic surfaces, IMO. I think English Oak would look great with Sparkling Silver.

Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
I'd highly recommend the Anthracite Headliner.

GENUINE MOTORING ACCESSORIES**
Chrome Bonnet Scoop (installation not incl.) $159
With Sparkling Silver? Hmm. Your choice.

Mud Flaps front and rear axle (installation not incl.) $66
Installed them myself to save $$$$$$$$.

Invisishield: Bonnet Kit (installation not incl.) $142
Invisishield: Bumper Kit (installation not incl.) $135
Invisishield: Fog Light Kit (installation not incl.) $20
Get a quote on installation. The dealer may be farming this out to a local installer and charge you twice the $$ it would cost you to have it done outside the dealer.

Black Rubber Floor Mat (front) (installation not incl.) $55
Black Rubber Floor Mat (back) (installation not incl.) $30
Black Rubber Floor Mat (boot) (installation not incl.) $65
Like them.

I got talked into getting the NAV by a friend. Very glad I got it. It is more than just navigation. It integrates the bluetooth, audio, and car settings. I also use the navigation much more than I thought I would.

Another option you don't mention is the Park Distance Control. I find it useful for avoiding low objects that are not easily seen. It is especially nice with the NAV because it shows you where the objects are and how close you are.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
I have the redwood red leather and It turns the sets the tone for the whole car, definitely go with the leather.

I also love the invisible shield, but the rest of the genuine motoring options are delaer installed, so I wouldn't include them in your order, they can be added afterwards for at least the same price, if not a little cheaper. My dealer threw in the rubber mats no charge, you could probably talk your way into some mudflaps as well. I'd scrap the chrome hood scoop permanently, but thats just a personal preference. Nice build, well loaded, I like it.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
The dealer will rape you on the Invisishield install. Get that done by a good third party installer. The dealer almost certainly contracts that out anyway, and then adds on an extra charge to make a profit. Save yourself that added charge (which can be several hundred dollars).

If this is your wife's DD and she isn't going to drive it hard, there's no need to worry about getting the limited slip. That's really for track duty more than anything.

Alarm is a huge waste of money. All BMW/MINIs have coded driveway protection anyway. Without the key fob the electrical/fuel system won't engage. How often do you act when you hear a car alarm anyway?

Last edited by RaceTripper; 05-07-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
I have the punch leather and really like it. Glad I got it, and perforated leather is a little cooler in the summer than the lounge leather.

+1 on the nav system. Got it and love it, nicely integrates many functions in the car and is a much better use of the huge speedometer face. You'll read alot of negatives about the nav system on here, but I find it to be very easy to use and very correct with its routing and instructions. Yes, it is expensive. If you have the money then get it.

FWIW, I think the garage door opener is fine. Works perfectly for all three doors I have programmed.

Also, big thumbs up to the rain sensing wipers. One of my favorite features in the car.

FYI, you can buy the alarm system parts and install them yourself ($180). You just have to get your dealer to reprogram your car to activate the system. I did this mainly because I like hearing the beep when I lock my doors, and I like the red flashing cylon eye on top of the tachometer.

Lastly, I have the LSD and it is really nice if you go for spirited drives. Watch out for torque steer.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might think about the standard cloth seats, cool in summer and with heated seats very nice in winter. Mine are over 2 years old and 26K miles on an everyday driver....no wear showing yet. Just a thought.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
Chris,

The 17" wheels come with the sport package....wondering if they could put the 16" ones on instead at some sort of a price discount perhaps?
The sports package $1500 includes the following at separate prices: DTC $500, xenon lights $500, bonnet stripes $100, white turn signals $100, and 17inch wheels 1250. If you like the 17 inch wheels it is a short jump to the sports package. But, without the 17 inch wheels what do you really need or want? In reality you don't need any of them. But you should buy want you want within reason. My off-the-lot S included stripes and white turn signals. I like them both but would still like the car just as much without them. I can't comment on the xenons - some people love them. The DTC isn't needed IMO for a daily driver.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've really never understood why people buy the packages.

For me, give me:
MFSW
White turn signals
Xenons

And I'm happy as can be. Add a few interior color items if that's what you want and leave it at that. I feel like the packages add a ton of stuff that is absolute fluff that won't enhance your motoring experience whatsoever.

Buy rims aftermarket, install all accessories yourself. A Cooper S should never run you more than $25k from the factory as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I do regret not buying the integrated nav though :(

Last edited by VicSkimmr; 05-07-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 AM
katrina1581
1st Gear
Originally Posted by coyle996
I've read a few threads on how the leather is not worth the money. Guys with leather please chime in.

Other than that you pretty much have every option, nothing to add. . .

Invisishield is awesome.
We have leather and I have to admit that the punch leather is nothing to get too excited about but I got redwood lounge and I will tell you it makes my car. The seats are also considerably more comfortable that the regular leatherette ones and more supportive. I find that the leather was worth it because it includes piano black and your choice of color line if you don't get the red leather. I would suggest getting Lounge Carbon instead of punch leather. Lounge Carbon with Piano Black and white color line looks amazing.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
djam43
6th Gear
I love my punch leather seats, they are cool in the summer, look good, wear good and are non slip. I am not a fan of the sunroof. Lots of problems imo. She will be glad that you choose the Auto trans.l

Quick Reply: R56 Critique our "Build"... advice requested for purchase!