R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to open trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
blankito
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAILED

Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I think not having a boot release on the interior is probably a safety feature; you wouldn't want to accidentally bump the switch going 60 mph on the freeway and have the boot lid fly open with all your worldly belongings shooting out of the back of your MINI, causing a major pile up.

If you must release the boot from inside the car, use the keyfob. Yes I know you have to turn off the engine in order to take the keyfob out of the slot so you could press the boot release button, but think of it as a safety feature where it prevents the exhaust from flowing back into the cabin while the boot is open and kill you.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rippymcs
I think not having a boot release on the interior is probably a safety feature; you wouldn't want to accidentally bump the switch going 60 mph on the freeway and have the boot lid fly open with all your worldly belongings shooting out of the back of your MINI, causing a major pile up.

If you must release the boot from inside the car, use the keyfob. Yes I know you have to turn off the engine in order to take the keyfob out of the slot so you could press the boot release button, but think of it as a safety feature where it prevents the exhaust from flowing back into the cabin while the boot is open and kill you.
Are you serious? Every car and truck I have had in my life has had some sort of internal trunk release. I would feel safe saying that 90% of the cars on the road do as well. When was the last or even first time you have seen peoples trunks randomly open and the stuff fly out? Thats just a lame statement to justify making a comment and being a smarty pants. Usually they are in the glove box, under the seat or beside the drivers seat. When was the last time you hit or pulled one?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I was being semi facetious. I'm sure someone had accidentally hit the switch while the car is moving before.
I did use the release to "punk" my friend, but we were parked. He had me look for something in his glove compartment, and I saw the trunk release button, and said, "what does that do?" and immediately pressed it, so he has to go out and close the trunk. Did that three times in a row.

How about the second point?

Last edited by rippymcs; 02-27-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rippymcs
I was being semi facetious. I'm sure someone had accidentally hit the switch while the car is moving before.
I did use the release to "punk" my friend, but we were parked. He had me look for something in his glove compartment, and I saw the trunk release button, and said, "what does that do?" and immediately pressed it, so he has to go out and close the trunk. Did that three times in a row.

How about the second point?
Your second point is just as bad as the first. For example. Are you single or married? Have you ever been to the supermarket with your significant other and waited outside while she/he rolled out a cart full of bags? This happens to me all the time. It's totally a waste of gas and time to have to cut the car completely off just to pull out the key fob and press a button on the key to pop the trunk. That's retarded. I have been doing this like many others for ages while the vehicle is still on. When was the last or first time you knew of anyone that died from exhaust while at a supermarket loading groceries? Why keep making these extreme bogus stories just to make a BS point? There should be some type of release just for the boot inside that allows it to open with out yanking the darn key out. That's no more dangerous than allowing you to roll down the windows while the engine is on. Actually rolling the window down is much more dangerous. Heck I have seen things fly out of windows all the time. Probably every day. I personally have had things go out my windows by mistake and on purpose. You dont see them disabling window rolling while the car is in motion. THats so dangerous they have laws against tossing things out windows.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Geesh, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

I was merely helping to come up with theories as to why there isn't a boot release in the R56, and justify/compromise the lack of that particular feature.

As to the exhaust, I usually turn off my engine if someone is getting something out of the boot, it's more of a courtesy, so that they don't have to smell the fume while getting something in or out of the boot, particularly with the S model since the exhaust pipe is right in the middle.

I apologize for responding to your post. I wasn't aware that attempts of humor isn't allowed in this thread. You should set to ignore my posts in case you come across my other posts.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, assuming everything is working as designed, all the unlocks for the boot work for just fine for about any situation imaginable.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
dead battery?

i heard theres a pull cord for the trunk somewhere but i dunno lol

Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The emergency boot release cord was because the battery was installed in the boot on older MINI's.

R56 in 2007 had it, lift up the rear seat bottom cushion to find it, but it was eliminated in the 2008 version.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Believe it or not, there's no internal trunk (hatch door) release. Has always struck me as sort of stupid (right up there with mood lighting but no compass), but there it is.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
some related discussion.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-like-it.html

post #3 in particular has some good info.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jjsherlock46
open mouth - insert foot - ok here I go

My mini is a non S and I am not sure if we are talking S only here. On my boot door I can hold down the key boot button and it actually pops the door open a bit - so not only unlocks but unlatches. I also set the settings in the speedometer so that when I unlock one door they are all unlocked - I really really like it like that. It was the hassle of the boot that made me set it up like that.

>>
Ahh...good stuff. I didn't realize I had to unlock twice to get ALL doors unlocked before the boot would open like that. I'm going to go program my car to unlock all doors at the same time.

Thanks!!

Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't have to unlock any doors to open the boot w/key-fob, but it is a good idea as it locks again when closed. Too easy to drop key-fob in there by mistake and lock yourself out. CA system won't allow it, but no protection from standard system.

I have my key-fobs both programed for single touch unlock of everything, primarily for gas stops and boot loading ease.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can tell when someone hasn't driven any SUV's or MiniVans they have only been popped/released by unlocking the doors been this way since the middle 90's.