R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can you charge the battery in the Convenience Access key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you charge the battery in the Convenience Access key fob?

I understand the normal key fob gets charged when plugged in. can you do the same to a convenience access key or must you replace the battery?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At first I thought that it was rechargable, but after checking the manual (pg 18), I believe it is not. It states that the convience access remote contains a "replaceable battery". My guess is that it probably draws more current than the standard remote due to it wireless feature and would require having to be recharged much more often than twice a year.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Yes, the back pops right off. Start at the point on the back. There is a little indent there to allow the back to pop off.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, you have to replace it. The whole point of Convenience Access is that you can leave the fob in your pocket or purse. No need to put it in the slot. So, people would forget to recharge it. Rechargeable batteries don't hold a charge as long as the life of a non-rechargeable, so it would be less convenient to use a rechargeable. I replaced mine after a year, just to be safe, but the original battery was still good.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it a standard watch type battery? Do you know the # and/or type of battery to buy so I can have a replacement on hand. My car is now about 1.5 years old so perhaps having a spare around would be a good idea. Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
ondrovic
4th Gear
CR2032 is the number

Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CR2032 is a very common battery.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Complications have a payback

Originally Posted by maximus96
I understand the normal key fob gets charged when plugged in. can you do the same to a convenience access key or must you replace the battery?
Yes, the normal key fob charges when plugged in. If you have TWO normal fobs, you should swap them as each season changes to keep them charged.
As to the "convenience" of the access key...obviously it's NOT all encompassing. Hey, you get what you pay for, it's just not what it's advertised to be. Keep it simple; that's my motto. I'd have bought mine with rollup windows if they'd offered it like that. Electronics are just something extra waiting to break. As with your sunroof...a hole waiting for water to enter it. You get what you pay for, and then some.
"Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it." - Waylon Jennings

Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surfblue
Yes, the normal key fob charges when plugged in. If you have TWO normal fobs, you should swap them as each season changes to keep them charged.
As to the "convenience" of the access key...obviously it's NOT all encompassing. Hey, you get what you pay for, it's just not what it's advertised to be. Keep it simple; that's my motto. I'd have bought mine with rollup windows if they'd offered it like that. Electronics are just something extra waiting to break. As with your sunroof...a hole waiting for water to enter it. You get what you pay for, and then some.
Yep - You get what you pay for. And it's COOOL! LOVE my convenience access!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Some might also say "A car is an accident waiting to happen"

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfblue
HAHAHA Dad is that you??. Everything will break in time electronic or not. And yes you do get what you pay for the more it costs the BETTER it is!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 AM
mordecai
3rd Gear
Thanks, I've been wondering this as well. I actually got in the habit of plugging mine in on long trips thinking that it would recharge it, but if it doesn't then I won't bother anymore.

BTW a CR2032 is the same battery most PC's use to hold the bios information when the power is disconnected. Translation - in a pinch you can power off your PC and pull the battery to use your car. (see image)