R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to open trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to open trunk?

This seems very odd and I am sure there is a simple answer to this question. But i just cant find it. I have an 09 MCS and I cant for the life of me figure out how to open the trunk with out using the key. Is there a switch inside some where that will allow me to pop the trunk? It is so annoying to have to pull the key out just to open it up. My wife thinks I am nuts, says there has got to be some lever or something. Plz help.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
ASTRBLKR56
2nd Gear
right above the license plate there is an electronic release. Its not a lever but more a button. Go ahead and push up on it and voila, your boot is now open.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
+1 If it's unlocked, just push the button by the hand hold on the hatch.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ASTRBLKR56
right above the license plate there is an electronic release. Its not a lever but more a button. Go ahead and push up on it and voila, your boot is now open.
thats the one we always use. is there a way to have it unlock with out using the key from the drivers seat?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iceman72
thats the one we always use. is there a way to have it unlock with out using the key from the drivers seat?
Nope.

And the folks here abouts call it a "boot".

Welcome to NAM.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
I'm trying to understand your question. There's the boot unlock on the key, there's also an electronic switch on the handle that you pull to open the boot (as long as the doors are unlocked OR the person opening the boot has a key on them and you have comfort access). Those are the two ways to open the boot.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes....aside from using the key, just unlock the doors (toggle switch). Then the boot should open by pressing the button on the hatch recess just above the license plate w/0 getting the key involved. However, I'm sure your wife will find other ways to think you're nuts.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
This seems very odd and I am sure there is a simple answer to this question. But i just cant find it. I have an 09 MCS and I cant for the life of me figure out how to open the trunk with out using the key. Is there a switch inside some where that will allow me to pop the trunk? It is so annoying to have to pull the key out just to open it up. My wife thinks I am nuts, says there has got to be some lever or something. Plz help.
don't feel bad for asking this question. it took me and my sweets two weeks before pure chance gave us the non-pull-out-the-key-whilst-in-car solution that gokartride and others described.

Originally Posted by gokartride
Yes....aside from using the key, just unlock the doors (toggle switch). Then the boot should open by pressing the button on the hatch recess just above the license plate w/0 getting the key involved. However, I'm sure your wife will find other ways to think you're nuts.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Iautox
2nd Gear
It may be broken

The boot release never worked on our 07 S. We were told you had to use the key to open it. One time when I was taking the car in for service I had to transfer stuff from it to the loaner. I told the service advisor that I needed to go back in to get my key so I could open the boot. He asked me why I didn't just open it with the release. I said because we were told that it only opened with the key and that there was no release. He tried the release which did not budge for him either. I didn't even realize it was a release since, duh, they told me there wasn't one. He ordered a new release and it was installed on the next service visit. Perhaps your release is non-functioning as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think what the OP is asking is, is there a release button in the cabin of the car like so many of the American and Japans cars have to release the trunk cover on standard sedans, i.e. Cadillac with a trunk release so the MAFIA driver can open it while pulling up the dead guy so the other MAFIA guys can though the body in the cars trunk during the drive by.

The answer to this would be no there is not.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
UH... are you guys insane? Are you seriously telling this guy there isn't a boot release? What is the matter with this forum? The amount of misinformation is staggering.

The unlock button on your center console is multi-function. It unlocks the doors, the gas tank, and the boot.

GOOD LORD.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
TECENG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
UH... are you guys insane? Are you seriously telling this guy there isn't a boot release? What is the matter with this forum? The amount of misinformation is staggering.

The unlock button on your center console is multi-function. It unlocks the doors, the gas tank, and the boot.

GOOD LORD.
Uh, I think what the OP is talking about is a switch or lever that will "pop" the boot open, not just unlock it. Most cars have a trunk release that will partially open the trunk when activated, so I think that is what he is referring to.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
Uh, yeah...I think we got that. But that's not exactly the same as the boot release on the key fob, is it?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy cow I did not know that , seriously. Thanks a heap!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by Rixter
Holy cow I did not know that , seriously. Thanks a heap!!!
yeah, took me a while to realize it too, especially since comfort access takes everything out of the equation anyway.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I think what the OP is asking is, is there a release button in the cabin of the car like so many of the American and Japans cars have to release the trunk cover on standard sedans, i.e. Cadillac with a trunk release so the MAFIA driver can open it while pulling up the dead guy so the other MAFIA guys can though the body in the cars trunk during the drive by.

The answer to this would be no there is not.
thats exactly what i was referring to. I guess people are so use to the mini that they tend to forget how the real world operates.

for some reason i can not open my boot when the doors are unlocked. for me to open the boot i have to use the key fob.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
for some reason i can not open my boot when the doors are unlocked. for me to open the boot i have to use the key fob.
Oooo...that might be a problem. Perhaps the switch back on the boot is faulty.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 AM
wbarnhill
Oooo...that might be a problem. Perhaps the switch back on the boot is faulty.
Yeah, I'd verify that with the dealer. You shouldn't have to use the fob. Let us know what they say!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Didn't the MA go over the car at time of delivery? My MA did a very thorough job going over the entire car with me at time of delivery.

2. I think people need to take an hour out of their busy day just once to read the owners manual. I am sure that it took just as much effort to create a post here as it does go through the owners manual.

3. Don't people call or email their MA or SA after the sale to ask these kinds of questions? Contrary to popular belief on this forum they are not all stupid.

4. The owners manual is not the best read or the most well written but I read the owners manual from cover to cover as soon as I got home from the dealer the day I took delivery.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I agree the owner's manual is required reading. It is interesting though....even when things are working properly (and in this case they might not be), there are things about the manual that seemingly do not match up w/ reality. For example, there are settings I can get into via my MINI's OBC that my friend cannot with his MINI...same w/ a recent loaner I had. Owner's manual says how it should work plain as day...but the settings simply aren't there!! If something does not work as the manual states, I sure as heck would be talkin' to the service department to straighten matters out, if only for my own piece of mind.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thats exactly what i was referring to. I guess people are so use to the mini that they tend to forget how the real world operates.

I thought mine was broken when I first got my Mini. You have to hold that button for a second or so when you are opening the boot, it is an electronic setup and takes a second to engage.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
jjsherlock46
1st Gear
open mouth - insert foot - ok here I go

My mini is a non S and I am not sure if we are talking S only here. On my boot door I can hold down the key boot button and it actually pops the door open a bit - so not only unlocks but unlatches. I also set the settings in the speedometer so that when I unlock one door they are all unlocked - I really really like it like that. It was the hassle of the boot that made me set it up like that.

>>

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jjsherlock46
open mouth - insert foot - ok here I go

My mini is a non S and I am not sure if we are talking S only here. On my boot door I can hold down the key boot button and it actually pops the door open a bit - so not only unlocks but unlatches. I also set the settings in the speedometer so that when I unlock one door they are all unlocked - I really really like it like that. It was the hassle of the boot that made me set it up like that.

>>

Ahh I think you hit it on the head. I did set mine to only open the drivers door when I unlock it. I did not think that had anything to do with the boot.

As far as the other comments go, i dont understand why some people get annoyed when you come to a mini forum and ask a question. Isnt this what the forum is for. Yes my salesman did go over the car when I purchased it. But he used the key fob to open the boot. I was so excited i did not even ask about how to do it from the inside or a different method. Also yes i even tried dropping my salesman an email. But it takes him some time to get back often. So i just figured it would be easier to ask a bunch of people here the same question.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
As far as the other comments go, i dont understand why some people get annoyed when you come to a mini forum and ask a question. Isnt this what the forum is for.
You are right...yours is a fair question for this forum. It took not a few of us awhile to get past the initial settings their cars came with...I have one friend to still (after two years) cannot access 3-click.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
It wasn't a bad question at all... and I just realized that it has everything to do with how you set up your car to unlock in the menu. So, there you go.

Quick Reply: R56 How to open trunk?