R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 All-wheel drive MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
abbyin3d
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-wheel drive MINI?

Does anybody know when/if the all-wheel drive Mini will be available in the US?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have heard of nothing like this yet. If Mini really wants to make a contender for the STI and the EVO this would be the only way. Can you imagine a AWD 300 hp Mini

Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Have heard of nothing like this yet. If Mini really wants to make a contender for the STI and the EVO this would be the only way. Can you imagine a AWD 300 hp Mini
There was a special on tv the other day that showed Getrag was developing an all wheel drive system for the mini. It was in hopes that Mini would see that it would work and use the system. I did see they were using the 1st gen mini.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you are referring to what we have been calling "The Crossman" on the boards. I believe that MINIs code name for it is the Colorado (anyone with more info on this, please feel free to jump in and correct me!).

I've been jokingly calling it "The Maxi" because the thing is too huge to really be "mini". LOL!

I've been keeping an eye on this one, because hubby is interested in getting one and will make his decision once we see some production models. Motoring File has a whole section devoted to this car, and I haven't seen any release dates for it yet. I think MINI is still in the testing phase. Motoring File has labeled it the "R60" which tells me that we probably can't expect to see it before the end of 2009, or early 2010, but that's just a guess based on the most recent information I had. There might be something more current on motoring file.

http://www.motoringfile.com/section/r60/

Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Oh! Just FYI, BMW did announce that they plan for the Crossman to be released in both front wheel drive and all wheel drive models, hence the need for an all wheel drive tranny.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Guess I should have made my self more clear. I did know Mini is working on a SUV, I was thinking more along the lines of a "Sports Car" based AWD car. 2008 Cooper S, was this a bolt on part developed for the 1st. Gen. Mini? Or a test mule for a new AWD Mini?

Here is a Development pic. of the "Crossman"

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Guess I should have made my self more clear. I did know Mini is working on a SUV, I was thinking more along the lines of a "Sports Car" based AWD car. 2008 Cooper S, was this a bolt on part developed for the 1st. Gen. Mini? Or a test mule for a new AWD Mini?

Here is a Development pic. of the "Crossman"

This was a test mule to show BMW that the Mini could easily be made into an all wheel drive car. It showed that it could be done with little change. They moved the exhaust and ran the driveshaft down that tunnel. They showed testing in the snow and ice. It was not a bolt in aftermarket system due to all the computers to monitor the system. The car could transfer power to which ever wheel needed it. They did side by side comparison of the awd mini and a regular mini. It was not for the crossman.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I haven't heard any mention of an AWD version of any of the current models yet.

If they release one, my next MINI will have it. I love driving the MINI in snow, but having a car that helps you go better in the snow is sort of mandatory where I live. Everyone has two cars in their garage, one car for when the weather's decent and one 4wd or AWD vehicle to get you through when there's three feet of snow on the ground.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I bet they aren't working on a "Quattro" like 4WD system. The handling is already at a level there is no actual need for it. I also know the difference between needs and wants though.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
sequence
6th Gear
my gawd that's one hideous mule.... I hope the production model looks a little different...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2008 Cooper S
There was a special on tv the other day that showed Getrag was developing an all wheel drive system for the mini. It was in hopes that Mini would see that it would work and use the system. I did see they were using the 1st gen mini.
That car was actually built in 2002 as an experiment. For some reason the concept was never pursued. The thought was that the extra weight combined with the additional drive train loss outweighed the added benefit of four wheel drive.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
The handling doesn't need AWD? How about launching? I cannot launch my MINI without some wheelspin. My place of employment acquired an AWD Audi A6 and I had to drive it across some highway to make sure of some things, and boy, did that thing launch flawlessly! It was my first experience with all wheel drive, and it was magnificent.

Any car can benefit from AWD. You think MINI handles well now? Throw it some AWD, and you've got a serious killer on your hands.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I can imagine it. And the thought makes me very, very happy.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
gohandbz8
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is the video for that Getrag AWD MCS. Fast forward to 30:45.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09701279751306

Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
CLAG
3rd Gear
I would LOVE to have AWD in the MINI. I miss my WRX.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
i would LOVE an awd mini.

i would be first in line to trade in my car, pretty much reguardless of price tag (within reason).

Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i woudl trade for it anytime it comes in..

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
pilotman
1st Gear
why couldn't BMW simply install its XDrive system?

They use it across almost the entire line, the 3 series, 5 series, X3 and X5.

It is easily fitted to a 3 series passenger car, can't see why they couldn't fit it to a Mini.

I have it in our BMW X3 and it is unstoppable in rain, snow etc.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the concept of the XDrive system would be applicable to the MINI, but I don't think many of the actual existing parts would transfer directly - mostly because BMW doesn't use any transverse-mounted engines. I don't think the combination of the MINI engine plus any of the existing BMW transmissions would fit transversely in the MINI's engine bay.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To answer your question, because the MINI engine runs east-west, all BMW engines run north-south. There's no way to fit the engine under the front of a MINI in that configuration, and trying to mate it to the MINI engine's design and architecture would require a completely different design (read - expensive)

Ever park your MINI next to your X3? Then try and figure out where all those big parts would go.........

That said there have been plenty of east-west all wheel drive's built by other mfrs - Toyota and Honda both have done so (the CRV is currently done that way) and even VW has with their "Synchro" system, so it certainly can be done.

To see one in a Classic Mini, go here.....

http://superfastminis.com/

Edit: Scott beat me to it!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
good points about the transverse/longitudinal engine, but Mini has apparently already fitted a longitudinal motor so the XDrive should work as is.

"BMW has managed somehow to fit their 4-cyl engine from the 120d into a MINI. I had long though BMW longitudinal engines wouldn't fit in a MINI.

Detune a bit and the result is a 150HP MINI D. They are also planning to put the twin turbo from the 123d into the MINI. 200HP JCW D:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/239091/

Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
You could always do this , you gotta watch this

I hope this link works, this is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc

Wonder if we could do this with 2 Minis .

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You're either using selective quoting, or you didn't read the rest of the sentence.......

Mini’s engineers have successfully managed to fit the BMW four-cylinder engine, designed for a longitudinal application, into the Mini’s engine bay in a transverse installation. The work involved in fitting the BMW engine to the Mini was described by our source as "tricky".

Point being they managed to fit the 4 cyl diesel engine in the same location and arrangement as the normal MINI engine, that's not the same as taking the longitudinal 6 cylinder rear wheel drive arrangement out of an X3 and bolting it into a MINI.......

Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
You are right I thought they mounted it north south.

So I invited my neighbor over for a beer (He's an automotive engineer at BMW in
Spartanburg.)

He said the xdrive system could be used on a transverse motor, with modifications. He had no idea abou the expense etc though. He also said the bigger issue would be fitting transaxle in the
existing mini floorpan.

A Mini with AWD (not the SUV) would be sweet but it ain't gonna happen

Last edited by pilotman; 04-07-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 All-wheel drive MINI?