R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My baby is dented :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
nenj
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My baby is dented :(

My MINI was dented and the passenger side mirror knocked off 2 days back :(. I was parked in a shopping center and when I came out I saw my MINI has been hit. Looks like its going to come off my insurance and bump up my rate, since I didn't find any note :( Any recommendations for body shops around SF?

Attached Thumbnails My baby is dented :(-mybaby.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nenj
My MINI was dented and the passenger side mirror knocked off 2 days back :(. I was parked in a shopping center and when I came out I saw my MINI has been hit. Looks like its going to come off my insurance and bump up my rate, since I didn't find any note :( Any recommendations for body shops around SF?
Your insurance company should handle that as an Uninsured Motorist claim.

You'll have a deductible to pay. But it is not an at-fault accident for you and should not increase your rates.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
call sf mini

Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I think it is so rude when people do that. Sadly it seems there are more A##holes out there then good decent people. Seems like everyone just tries to get away with whatever they can. -pitiful.

Sorry 'bout your car. :( ...makes me sick to see how people treat other's stuff.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
MInI___Gz
5th Gear
I hate people like that !!!
Where is the the self respect ?
Sorry bout your mini :[

BTW: my uncle has come from Germany for business. He tells me soo much about the roads over there, how every1 knows how 2 drive (smart) ...... the first thing he said to me coming from the airport was "Why The H*** dont there people know how to drive!!! " Soo true!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW....I would call that more than a dent...so people really suck and have no respect for anything or anybody..hope you get it fixes as new.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Classic hit and run. That was more than your 3 inch dent.

Sorry about it. Get the insurance involved and call the dealer for recommendations on a body shop.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
Stuff like that always angers me, if you screw up you should own up to the mistake.

GL with the repairs, your insurance should be good to you!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 AM
deafbuzz
2nd Gear
this is not just dent. this is really like MURDER who hit and run!

cuz it starts with little hit and run from your car. next time that person who did it to yours, he/she could hit a dog and run. next time that same person who could hit any child playing across or cyclist. he/she could become to be addicted to "hit and run" in his/her mindset cuz he/she thinks he/she can get away with this if he/she did it before.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
pillar
5th Gear
*** holes...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably some low life, no insurance, dead beat, loser, pinhead pain in the neck, butt wipe, son of a gun who cares nothing about anything except of course him or herself.

Just ticks me off.

Get er fixed and park out in the back forty. I've already warned my wife that if we take my MINI she is in for a walk. (Regardless of the weather.)

If you find the right shop it will look as good as new.

Pat

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
I'm assuming it is an overly lifted 4x4 screaming "(insert Holy idol) damn MINI Coopers!)

I've seen my fair share of lifted 4x4s that love to cut off my MINI or "race." It's sad.

Good luck on the repairs! I'm sure you won't notice when it's fixed.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
DaveJ50
2nd Gear
I was thinking snow plow on the overly lifted 4x4.

To me, it looks like it was hit by a straight edge that reached from the bottom of the door to over the mirror.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's terrible. Autobahn next to Mini of Mountain View did a nice job repainting the front bumper on my car (bad paint from the factory).

Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
WOW....I would call that more than a dent...so people really suck and have no respect for anything or anybody..hope you get it fixes as new.
Yeah, when I saw the thread title I was immediately going to suggest the Dent Wizard or some other kind of paintless dent repair, but that is definitely going to need paint. Yikes!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
nenj
1st Gear
Its got just 5000 miles on it ...looks like I've to go through insurance. Got a quote for 2800$ today from a body shop. What pisses me off is its going to come on the carfax report and the value of the car is going to go down

Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by nenj
Its got just 5000 miles on it ...looks like I've to go through insurance. Got a quote for 2800$ today from a body shop. What pisses me off is its going to come on the carfax report and the value of the car is going to go down
Don't assume just because you have the insurance company handle the damages that it will end up being reported through CarFax or any other data collection agency. Not necessarily true.

And, even though the estimate is moderately high, it's still a "Superficial Wound" and should not reduce the future value of your MINI. If you're concerned about it ending up in Carfax and scaring away potential buyers down the road, make sure you keep photos of it to show there was no structural damage to the car.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That's a shame, and what a lowlife to do that crap. Your insurance won't go up, and resale value shouldn't go down (do take pix before fixing and afterwards). That was probably a very large vehicle that did that. I have become an SUV hater since getting my Mini (and I had 2 Jeep GCs before it). The people don't need 'em, they can't drive 'em, and they certainly cannot park 'em. If I see one more soccer mom talking on her cellphone driving a freaking Lincoln Navigator then parking it diagonally at Starbucks I think I'll vomit!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
pillar
5th Gear
this is why i dont ever park near those outdoor cart parking lot or near grocery store entrances...

do yourself and the car a favor and park far and go for the extra exercise!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Yes I park in left field also...I do get made fun of but who cares!

Not to stir the pot here, but does anyone want to start a poll on if it was a male or a female who hit nenj

Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Any non-factory repaint job of any kind (Even if it is made by the best body shop in the world) will affect your resale value.

This is the truth. I know people that work in the "trade" and they are trained to spot non-factory paint jobs, no matter how superficial they might be.

The whole Schtick behind PDR is just that.... Dents and dings can be repaired without affecting the original factory paint.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
Yes I park in left field also...I do get made fun of but who cares!

Not to stir the pot here, but does anyone want to start a poll on if it was a male or a female who hit nenj
Parking far "in the left field" is no guarantee for a jerk to come out of the woodwork and ruin your day.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Any non-factory repaint job of any kind (Even if it is made by the best body shop in the world) will affect your resale value.

This is the truth. I know people that work in the "trade" and they are trained to spot non-factory paint jobs, no matter how superficial they might be.

The whole Schtick behind PDR is just that.... Dents and dings can be repaired without affecting the original factory paint.
This is not the truth.

The truth is: It might affect your trade-in value SLIGHTLY, if the dealer really takes the time to take a meter to your paint. But for re-sale value... have you ever seen a private buyer use a meter to test the thickness of the paint ??

Again, this is not a major accident with unibody stuctural damage. Let's not scare the OP unnecessarily, huh ?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
ajakeski
4th Gear
Make sure they replace the door skin and blend the paint into the fender and quarter panel so you get a good match. Also ask what they use to restore the factory level of rustproofing. (I use Seal Out and I have a rust free 1996 Dodge Truck with 100,000 miles to show how well it works.)
If you go through your insurance, don't buy into their "direct repair shop" sales pitch. A direct repair shop only makes things easier and less expensive for the insurance company because the shop has already agreed to concessions for the insurance company. Your insurance company works for you. Remind them of that.
Make sure you choose a shop you feel can do the repair correctly and to YOUR standards. That is the only standard that matters.

Good Luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had my car repaired in SF (huge door ding - I would have had PDR done if the paint didn't crack), at the body shop recommended by SF MINI:
German Motors Collision Center.

http://www.sfgermanmotors.com

I absolutely loved the work they did to my car. The paintwork they did actually looks better than the factory finish. I'm a picky bastard, and could not find any flaws with the work they performed. It cost a pretty penny, but it was well worth it. Awesome customer service (I spoke with Daniel Perez), and I cannot recommend them enough.

I'll certainly go back there to have my MCS repainted (it will need it by the time I'm out of Alaska).

Quick Reply: R56 My baby is dented :(