R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DDM Works RIS install

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Stypica
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDM Works RIS install

Just finished the DDM Works RIS install.

It's Thuirsday, I took the day off for my birthday and my kit arrived int he mail yesterday from WMW - happy birthday to me

Step 1: Pour a Samichlaus beer and get to work

Step 2: Open up the boxes. First note - For about 450 shipped, this is a cheap kit. Basically a bunch of bent steal and a good filter (washable, oil em type, not the foam). The seals are basically foam tubes slit and run along the sharp/sealing edges. I wonder how this will hold up after a year. The seal witht he stock parts was marginal at best, but Since this is all pretty sloppy anyway I can reapply new seals at a later date if they dry/heat rot

Step 3: remove old stuff. Easy

Step 4: Instructions say to put the new vacuum tube in last - I say, put it in now when it's easy to get your hands back to the firewall

Step 5: neither the extension inthe new elbow, nor the MAF housing fit through the hole in the new Airfilter cover. I used a curved metal rasp to shave the paint and just a wee bit of metal off the inner diameter of the hole. I figured that would keep me from gouging too deep witha dremel. Odd note here. The written instructions describe the hose, hose extension elbow, MAF then Air filter housing. The images show the hose, MAF, Elbow and extension through the housing. I chose to put the MAF next to the housing per the written instructions to use the bolt holes and secure it properly.

Step 6: I had taken the cover off the assembly to make sure i oriented the filter the right way during install and to tighten the hose clamp at an angle i could get to later. in doing so i found that everything is a lot easier if you put the cover bolt that is on top and towards the rear in *first* then line op the rest of the holes, then snug everything down.

Step 7: pulled out the scoop - I had read lots of descriptions on how to do this. Here's another - remove the 4 clamps fromt he cloth cover, remove the one in the middle going up through the top of the hood. squeeze the grey plug with some pliers and push up a bit. Then pull *up*, not forward, on the scoop. Start from the middle and work your way around. I didn't need anymore than fingers wedged under to make the snaps pop and I popped them one at a time. After removing the grill, just align it, push down and give a swift pop with the meat of your hand at each snap. The scoop itself was easy enough to install - again, just place the plugs first, then tighten down after.

Haven't taken it for a drive yet. Also need to go to the store and get some wire to wire up my amp and sub...

Happy birthday to meee!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Stypica
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
followup

Mods - I probably should have posted this in the mods section - if someone has the time, please move it.

After driving witht he intake for about a week. I like it.

Overall, there isn;t too much of a performance increase. Where I *really* notice it though is in the low end. Used to be like driving a digital car - either on or off the accelerator. I transition from no power to some power int he low rpms/1st gear a whole lot more smoothly now.

being able to hear the turbo and blowoff is nice - though with the radio up, I still can't hear it too well.

All in all I'm not positive it was worth all of the money, but I don't regret the purchase.