R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Flaps?

Anyone installed mud flaps on an R56? Difficult? I am considering them but the dealer wants hundreds to install. Also, I haven't seen a MINI with flaps and am having a hard time visualizing what it will look like. Dorky?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine were installed by the dealer, but i think they look great, really blend in well with the body.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed front and back mud flaps. My biggest problem was that the double-stick tape didn't hold on the back flaps. Only the screws hold them in place. So, they are secure, but aren't as tight as they could be. A body shop had done some detailing on the black plastic in the rear after a bumper repair. They probably used a silicon product, and I didn't clean it off sufficiently. It isn't a big problem, but it could be better.

I think the mudflaps integrate well and look good.

The girl is a Photoshop job done as a joke for another thread. She was taken from a belt buckle photo I found on the web and masked into this photo.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
I installed them a few weeks ago on Ferris. There are a few write ups on the board about how to do the install yourself. Don't spend the money having the dealer do it when it just takes some simple tools and an afternoon to DIY.

I think the flaps give really help to give the car a "complete" look.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
I have the front ones only, since I preferred a cleaner look at the rear. But that's just personal preference.

Here's a link to one of the aforementioned write-ups.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103860

Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
august2
1st Gear
I put on the front mud flaps myself. I've put mudflaps on other cars before. I didn't think they were too difficult. I started by trying to put them on with the front wheels on the car. It was much easier once the wheels were removed. I bought them from MossMini, they were a little cheaper than the dealer. I'm new to Minis and this forum, just picked up a used 07 on 4/22. MossMini posts the instructions for installation on their website. I'm still thinking about the rear mudflaps.
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=58226

Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
oceaneer
1st Gear
Kavatski, I am thinking of just the front also. Do you have an opinion about the true benefit of the rear ones? Could anyone who started with the front and then installed the rear ones, please give us some real world feedback?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
I'm going to get them too, Hey Robin, did you get yours from a Mini dealer or a vendor? I think they look great, and not just because of the naked chick

Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
I got a set from Classic MINI, that I have yet to put on the car. I've seen numerous mentions of the back adhesive tape not cutting the mustard. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to start out w/ some thicker stuff.

Originally Posted by oceaneer
Kavatski, I am thinking of just the front also. Do you have an opinion about the true benefit of the rear ones? Could anyone who started with the front and then installed the rear ones, please give us some real world feedback?
The rear ones might keep some dirt off of your bootular area, but it gets so dirty you probably won't notice.

But if you're doing any group drives the person behind you will sure appreciate them!

Originally Posted by Robin Casady

The girl is a Photoshop job done as a joke for another thread. She was taken from a belt buckle photo I found on the web and masked into this photo.
I really want to find an adhesive chrome bulldog to stick on mine. If anyone happens to find something that'd work...

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealer installed them on mine (freebie). I like how they look and how they help protect the car. After a couple months I had the same problem Robin had. The rear flaps were loose due to the double stick not working. I mentioned it to my dealer and they used something like windshield sealant (liquid gasket type I think; flexible, waterproof) in there instead and they have been solid ever since. There are some pictures in my gallery of them.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
stasah
1st Gear
mud flaps

I installed mine couple days ago. Front was easy . rear took me some time (metal clips) I like the way they look but now I need wider tires.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:33 AM
2fast2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
The dealer installed them on mine (freebie). I like how they look and how they help protect the car. After a couple months I had the same problem Robin had. The rear flaps were loose due to the double stick not working. I mentioned it to my dealer and they used something like windshield sealant (liquid gasket type I think; flexible, waterproof) in there instead and they have been solid ever since. There are some pictures in my gallery of them.
That stuff is called window weld, by 3m. It is black, waterproof, flexible and permanent, so you'll have to cut it off if you ever wanted the flaps gone. You can buy it at the autoparts stores.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2fast2
That stuff is called window weld, by 3m. It is black, waterproof, flexible and permanent, so you'll have to cut it off if you ever wanted the flaps gone. You can buy it at the autoparts stores.
They said what ever they used was not permanent and would peel off similar to the Cooper S logo sticky stuff. So maybe it really wasn't for windshields. It's holding great whatever it is.