R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Beverage Cooler For Multi-day Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Tomasthanes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beverage Cooler For Multi-day Drive...

We're looking at a 12-14 day drive in the MINI (2 persons) and are looking for your advice towards a beverage cooler that will fit in the MINI and be easy to access. At this point, I'm assuming that the back seats will be down and that there will be 2 smaller suitcases and some smaller gear.

We have a Coleman Xtreme 36qt cooler but it seems rather gigantic. It worked great on a previous (non-MINI) trip; kept the contents cold with only changing the ice every 2nd or 3rd day.

I'm curious to know what other people have used and how you liked your cooler. I'm open to coolers that plug in to the 12v outlet in the back.

I'm open to general suggestions related to multi-day travel as well.

Thank you, in advance.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
I picked up a 12 volt refrigerator , holds a 12 pack of cans , lights when opened/ came with a 110 unit to plug it in in the hotel room ...

Old 05-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey BV, what brand/model of fridge did you get? How does it compare to Mini's offering? Does it keep a six pack real cold ( I no longer drink alcohol, but still like my non alc. drinks chilly ).

Thanx,

Bill in Pacific Grove

Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
It's a "Tracker" brand ... I picked it up at one of truck stops
It stays very cold better kept out of direct sun,
even has a "heat" setting to heat food
(never tried) I had a $50 gas card and used it to buy it
I've had it for several years ... never a trouble...

Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the MINI refrigerator. It holds 19 12-ounce cans or 8 20-ounce water bottles (14 liter capacity).

It's better at *keeping* drinks cold than it is at *making* them cold, so it's better if you fill it with cold drinks before the trip. If you fill it with room-temperature cans/bottles, it might take a few hours on the road before they get really cold.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanx for the replies! I was looking at various offerings online, and seeing that some of them were 500 bucks or more I figured the low cost offerings wouldn't work very well, thanx for the good news. I didn't expect a small 12 volt cooler to do real well, and pre-cooling makes sense.

I like the carry strap on the dealer offering, and it's size, but the cheaper competition might win out, I'll have to do some more research..

Bill in Pacific Grove

Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Tomasthanes
2nd Gear
Scott,

Where did you find your MINI refrigerator (and this is for inside the car, correct)?

I can find the "Urban Chill Box" on the MotoringGear.com web site but no 12V powered car coolers.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I have the MINI refrigerator. It holds 19 12-ounce cans or 8 20-ounce water bottles (14 liter capacity).

Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomasthanes
Scott,

Where did you find your MINI refrigerator (and this is for inside the car, correct)?

I can find the "Urban Chill Box" on the MotoringGear.com web site but no 12V powered car coolers.

Thanks.
I ordered it with the car, so presumably the dealer could order one. I tried to find a part number on realoem.com, but no luck so far.

Yes, it's 12V-powered, so you can use it in the car. I plug the power cable into the power outlet in the boot, and run the power cord between the back seats so I can keep the cooler in the back seat to give it adequate ventilation and to keep it within reach.

If you do a Google search for "12 volt refrigerator", you'll find plenty of other options as well.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Ermin
Neutral
I have the Black and Decker Thermo-Electric Cooler/ Freezer. It will definitely turn warm drinks into icy ones. Holds about 6 cans. It will also heat up items if you switch it to "hot". Run direct off 12V socket. Also you can pick up an inverter for use in your hotel. Inverter cost about $25. Unit cost about $45 -$55 (I forgot exactly). I got it at Walmart. Had it for about 7 months so far. Its running 24/7 off an inverter in my room and I've taken it on about 4 road trips now. Small enough for the Mini and Strong enough to keep things cold. To give you an idea.....when you put a pack of chemical ice pack, the cooler will turn it solid in about 7 hours.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Tomasthanes
2nd Gear
Someone in my local MINI club (West Coast MINIs) also recommended the Range Roller 20 Portable Electric 12-volt Car Cooler. It's available at Wal-mart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7941681.

We haven't bought one of these yet but are probably going to end up getting one. She highly recommended it (and "it fits in the boot under the window/seat"). It has 2 wheels and a handle (like a suitcase). She bought a power converter so that she could use it in her hotel room as well.