R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Should I fly or drive in my MCS to Minnesota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I fly or drive in my MCS to Minnesota?

I am not really sure if this should be posted in this section so move this thread if needed please.

I've owned my '08 MCS since April 5th and have a little over 300 miles on the odo.My 17 year old daughter graduates high school next month on May 23rd up in Minnesota and I live in South Florida.I have flown there once and also driven there last year in my former '06 Mustang GT to visit her and my ex-wife.It is a long 1,595 miles one way drive and 3,190 miles round trip.
Gas will most likely cost a little more then the $455.49 round trip flight and shuttle service both ways to and from the airport.Or gas could theoretically cost less due to much better MPG in my MCS then what I got on my Mustang GT.

Now my question is with this little mileage on my car is it okay to take such a long road trip being that it hasn't reached the 1,200 miles break-in point yet?

Thank you.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 AM
mauberley
6th Gear
More than one person has purchased their MINI out-of-state and driven it home cross-country... so you should be OK to drive it. Just continue to follow the break-in procedure (vary speed, don't exceed a certain RPM) and you'll be fine.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Also will be a good way to learn your MINI and break it in.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
srmach05
2nd Gear
Before deciding to drive I would consider this. The cost to drive there is not just how much gas you use, it also includes depreciation, maintenance, gas, etc. In 2004 AAA estimated the average cost per mile of driving is $.56, assuming depreciation of $3,500 per year & 15,000 miles/year. Now, we know Mini's tend to depreciate less than that, but the cost of gas has gone up considerably since 2004 to offset some of that. So using AAA's numbers, your true cost of driving the 3,190 miles = $1,786. Even if Mini's cost half the average per mile it would still be nearly twice the cost of flying.
Sorry if I've bored you, but thought it might help with your decision-making.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Maybe you should just fly IN your MCS

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by srmach05
Before deciding to drive I would consider this. The cost to drive there is not just how much gas you use, it also includes depreciation, maintenance, gas, etc. In 2004 AAA estimated the average cost per mile of driving is $.56, assuming depreciation of $3,500 per year & 15,000 miles/year. Now, we know Mini's tend to depreciate less than that, but the cost of gas has gone up considerably since 2004 to offset some of that. So using AAA's numbers, your true cost of driving the 3,190 miles = $1,786. Even if Mini's cost half the average per mile it would still be nearly twice the cost of flying.
Which is more comfortable for you?
How much more time will it take for you to drive?
Do you have vacation time to spare?
Do you really enjoy driving (both ways) that much?
Can you find a decent fare for flying?
Do you need to move any of her things back to Florida or elsewhere?
Will you be doing other vacationing in MN while up there and need a rental car anyway?
Is anyone else going with you- cost of driving remains more or less the same with two people but airfare is doubled- now driving is looking less expensive if you can spare the time traveling slower.
Are there any weather considerations?

Driving a new car cross country is fine for the MINI. Having AAA helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM
JACKEL142
1st Gear
Life is a journey, not a destination.
Take the drive, and enjoy the views.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I would fly, but I did puchase my MINI a couple states away. Driving home did put on 1000 miles, and I think the break in was good. I have been checking the oil level and there doesn't appear to be any consumption. Take the car if you want the car. Otherwise it is faster and cheaper to fly & rent.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by srmach05
That is a very good point which I didn't consider.Thanks.

Originally Posted by minihune
Which is more comfortable for you?
How much more time will it take for you to drive?
Do you have vacation time to spare?
Do you really enjoy driving (both ways) that much?
Can you find a decent fare for flying?
Do you need to move any of her things back to Florida or elsewhere?
Will you be doing other vacationing in MN while up there and need a rental car anyway?
Is anyone else going with you- cost of driving remains more or less the same with two people but airfare is doubled- now driving is looking less expensive if you can spare the time traveling slower.
Are there any weather considerations?

Driving a new car cross country is fine for the MINI. Having AAA helps.
1.Honestly driving is more comfortable for me then flying.
2.Looking at around 29 hours of driving time there.
3.I am planning on spending 10 days there.
4.Yes I love to drive whether it is just a short or even long distance.
5.Yes I posted that in my original thread which is $455.49.
6.No.
7.No.
8.No.I am driving by myself.
9.Hopefully better then when I drove there last year(some snow).

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Also thank you for the additional comments posted above.

BTW I already purchased my round trip ticket last Wednesday that were on sale through AirTran Airways for the trip just in case I do decide to fly there but I am still heavily leaning on driving there again plus like what was already mentioned a good way to get to know my new MCS.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
jearl
2nd Gear
There's many a mighty purty road between S. Florida and Minnesota. I'd drive!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
You made a decision when you bought your MINI.

MOTORING is always preferred.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you drive you may miss the joys of having your flight cancelled and being stuck at the airport, or having your luggage lost. You wouldn't want to miss out on those.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a long drive, at least two full days on the road, and a hotel or motel stay overnight. I'd fly. I like driving, but 1,600 miles of driving over two days is not my idea of fun. Even if you average over 60 mph it's still about 13 hours a day without factoring in any breaks.
Now, if you took two weeks off and planned a vacation around your road trip, that would be worthwhile.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JACKEL142
Amen brother The joy of driving a MINI vs the excruciating hassles of flying? For me it would be a no-brainer.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JACKEL142
Amen!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
you should fly. and you're not looking hard enough for a cheaper airfaire either. last thing you need is to have something happen to your mini off home court. and yes, wrong forum.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
works8
2nd Gear
drive!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
Purchase a Valentine 1 and hit the road! The MINI was built to go cross-country and MOTOR!!

DO IT.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
If you drive you may miss the joys of having your flight cancelled and being stuck at the airport, or having your luggage lost. You wouldn't want to miss out on those.
Although said in a humorous tone that is a very good point Robin.

Lets just say the last flight I took coming back from Minnesota last year was not exactly smooth as we arrived 20 minutes early so we all had to remain seated until a gate opened up and the bathrooms were off limits until I couldn't take the pressure on my bladder anymore(too much to drink) so they finally let me use it.I think the sigh of my relief while going could be heard throughout the plane while I was in there...LOL

Plus there is no direct flights there so I have to switch planes in Atlanta, Georgia both ways so the time waiting at the airport can be several hours.Lost luggage is know to happen due to plane switching but very rare.

When I did drive a year ago I pulled off at most of the stops on the way to take a break,stretch and grab something to eat and/or coffee and for fuel.Since I haven't seen my daughter in over 8 years I was driving on pure Adrenalin to get there.I will take my time should I decide to drive next month though.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mwittstock
Purchase a Valentine 1 and hit the road! The MINI was built to go cross-country and MOTOR!!

DO IT.
Thanks.

I already have a radar detector and GPS unit from the driving last year.Plus since the law in Minnesota prohibits attaching anything to the windshield so I have a sun visor clip for the radar detector and and dash mount for my Garmin GPS unit.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
MDLMini
1st Gear
IMHO - Driving will take 4 days total vs 2 days if you fly... That's 2 less days you'll have to spend with your daughter - and to me, THAT would be what is IMPORTANT... but who am I to say what someone else should do?

Mark

Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
Interstate highways are no pleasure. Solo driving, especially, can be very taxing. If you are still considering ... consider the slower, more scenic routes, and more time. Perhaps 4 days each way, rather than 2?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Thank you for the additional posts above.

According to my last drive there the calculated time was 29 hours and 30 minutes.That of course was from the online maps like mapquest.com and google maps that I downloaded and printed to accompany my GPS unit as a backup.Naturally it doesn't calculate stopping times just a straight drive which is impossible but a rough idea nonetheless.My GPS was in real time so it was approx. 40 hours with the stopping and such.

And I do agree seeing my daughter is extremely important to me so spending as much time as possible with her is a must of course.I only get to see her a couple of times a year due to the very long distance between us.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the randomness but, what is the break-in procedure? I'm picking up a 2008 S Saturday.

Quick Reply: R56 Should I fly or drive in my MCS to Minnesota?