R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof or No Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first MINI I test drove had a sunroof that rattled so bad I couldn't concentrate on the road. The MA said it was worse than most but they all make noise. I took that as a bad sign. My friends 03 has a horrible rattle that I couldn't put up with. I don't like the feeling of the wind through a sunroof either. I love convertibles but a sunroof has a different vibe. I am also sensitive to the sun (if I was any more pale I would be clear) so that takes a bit of fun out of having sun stream though the roof of my car. I owned a Miata for 8 years and put the top down mostly at night.

I autocross so weight matters to me but if you don't race than weight isn't a big deal.

This is a personal choice when selecting options.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
Which is a pretty funny suggestion, seeing as how convertibles weigh even more. And, depending on your aversion to wind, are even more noisy.
When I said if you want wind through your hair get a convettible. I wasn't thinking about the MINI convertible (I had just spent the day with a Miata and was thinking about it). I know Cabrio is heavier than the coupe and I should have clairfired my statement better. It didn't make a whole lot of sence the way I went from weight/performance to get a convertible. Sorry!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCooperS
do you know where you can get this done? I have been wanting a texas flag on my roof since I first got my MINI
I see you're in North Texas. Check out Cooper Flags. Great work. www.cooperflags.com.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DC1
Does it rattle though?
I've never had rattle issues with any of my sunroofs. The wife's current MINI did have a issue with the screen creating wind noise when the roof was open. The fabric would whip & flap in the wind. Dealer replaced the entire mechanism. Said that one of the springs was found broken when it was dismantled.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
GrFa
4th Gear
Both my 03 and 06 Cooper S had rattly sunroofs. My 02 Cooper that I purchased most recently came sans-sunroof and I couldn't be happier. I will never again own a MINI with sunroof. All of my other cars, and every BMW I have had has had a sunroof. Basically the MINI sunroof design and mechanism just plain sucks, overall it creates more pain than the pleasure you derive from an open sunroof.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
I have been thinking do to the fact that the mini cooper seams to be hit or miss with quality... I decide to lease one then i would get a sun roofdecide to buy i would get a hard top... After cruising through the forums... this car can have some issues... i am curious on how much down the road maintenance the turbo charged version would have.. i will save that question for another day....

Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Mine doesn't rattle, and it sounds like most of the rattle complainers drove previous generation cars and are complaining about them.

I can't imagine buying a MINI without a sunroof, it's part of the experience.