North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Sunroof or No Sunroof? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/136329-sunroof-or-no-sunroof.html)

Vim 04-15-2008 03:34 AM

Sunroof or No Sunroof?

Before I place my order for an 2008 MC, do I need to rethink the sunroof option? It's gets really hot and sunny down here (deep in the heart of Texas), and might I regret getting a sunroof? On one hand, my wife (the native Texan) thinks it's a must. I'm having 2nd thoughts..... Those of you who've got the R56 sunroof option, what are your thoughts? -- Vim:confused:

checkercoop 04-15-2008 04:19 AM

Well I live down here in florida and when I had a loaner car while mine was in the shop, it had a sunroof. It was sunny that day and the sunroof was tinted, but it still heated me up. The sunroof is nice because it feels brighter, more open, and you can let more air in, but it really heats you up in direct sun light. Personally I will never order it because of the heat, plus some people have had issues with leaks so not something I want to worry about.

I would say go test a sunroof one (or just sit in) at the dealer on a sunny day and see how it works for you, then try a nonsunroof

jggimi 04-15-2008 04:28 AM

There have been sunroof vs non-sunroof threads before. It is an issue of personal taste. I happen to love the panorama dual sunroof, but that's me. In this case, matrimonial harmony should be part of your consideration. My wife hates everything about my car, but that's because she wasn't consulted before I bought it. :roll:

JCR1960 04-15-2008 04:53 AM

I agree with checkercoop.As I also live in South Florida and the heat from the sun is well you know,HOT!!

During the daytime not a good idea due to the heat from the sun but at night
very enjoyable to open them up and roll down the windows for a nice drive.

But personally I would have opted not to get the dual sunroof but the dealerships all had them in stock so I had no choice in that matter.

The factory sunshades that come with the car is a joke as they don't shade from the sun at all.

Anyway I ended up purchasing a pair of custom fit removeable sunshades from Minspeed.com and it does the trick of blocking the sun and heat from entering my car plus I tinted the windows.I am very comfortable during the daytime now.:)

MiniRee 04-15-2008 05:10 AM

We've got one wit' and one wit'out.:) We live in SC where it gets pretty toasty in the summer. My MCS has a black roof and sunroof because I like lots of bright light and tend to be cold natured anyway. The automatic climate control does a good job of cooling the car quickly, so I have no problems.

My 18-y/o son has an MCS (also with a black roof) that has no sunroof. He prefers it that way and the added bonus for him is that he has about three extra inches of headroom without the sunroof.

Both cars look good from the outside and please the driver inside!:nod: Granted, that is harder to do when you're configuring for two people at once! Good luck with that...:roll:

glangford 04-15-2008 05:23 AM

I prefer without. I don't like the panoramic sunroof, particularly the sunshade. My wife's accord has a sunroof, traditional, front only with a total pull up cover to completely block and insulate the interior. If mini had more of a traditional sunroof, I might have opted for one, but even then, we rarely (my wife never) use the sunroof, so I opted not to have one in the mini.

x uh oh x 04-15-2008 06:07 AM

I've had two MCS with the panoramic sunroof and I really enjoy them, but I haven't had either of them in super hot climates. I think Checkercoop was right -- your best bet is to go test one at the dealership with a sunroof on a hot day. It's a definite matter of preference, but don't forget: while it doesn't have the think insulating cover that even the BMW series have for their roofs, you can always get a sunroof graphic (still transparent) that will help darken the tint -- and it doesn't have to be any of the crazy graphics, just a darker tint. I'm a fan of sunroofs (vehicle type regardless) is that it lets a lot more light into the vehicle. With the double-tilt up windows on the new Minis, you can leave your sunroof tilted to let the car breathe while you're gone, yet not let in bugs or rain, etc. And, it's also a nice additional selling option if you ever go to upgrade/sell later.

MiniFTW 04-15-2008 06:28 AM

I have the moonroof and have been really happy with it. I was able to get anthracite headliner, all black/grey/piano interior and yet it is still light and airy feeling inside with the light coming in from the roof. I've found the factory sunshades work OK. If they aren't enough you could always tint the sunroof for about $75 at most shops. I personally added tint all the way around and left the roof alone...strikes a great balance.

catseye 04-15-2008 07:04 AM

Another factor is if you want to track the car. The extra headroom is very nice if you have a helmet on, and there is also the fact that all that sunroof mess adds weight.....on the top of the car no less.......

bart5467 04-15-2008 07:28 AM

I liv in San Antonio TX and its bloody HOT! down here but i still love my sunroof wouldn'd trade it 4 a reg roof i hope 2 get it tinted or the sunscreen eventually

Chili Cart 04-15-2008 07:39 AM

You can also look into ceramic tinting which deflects the heat. It is pretty amazing.

http://www.madico.com/advceramic_automotive.asp

Auto_Pilot 04-15-2008 07:47 AM

How much weight dooes the panoramic sun roof add?

moe-jiller 04-15-2008 07:50 AM

The Houston area car dealer folks I know all say that if resale is a consideration then a sun roof is preferable. When my Clubman comes in it is getting a Texas flag on the glass roof panels. :)

caulyne 04-15-2008 08:05 AM

Get the sun roof, and blame it for any bad days you have on the track. Hehhe.

Granted, I've only had my car a few days, but it has been in the 90s in Phoenix and I like the ability to vent the car before I get in. I got a cheapie window cling to put over the back window so that the little guy in the carseat wouldn't get burned.

Robin Casady 04-15-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot (Post 2163646)
How much weight dooes the panoramic sun roof add?

I seem to recall someone posting 60 lbs. with a reliable source. That is 60 lbs. at the very top of the car. So, it may increase body roll somewhat.

Search for the sunroof threads about leaks, rattles, and problems with the mechanism. Also, there was at least one report of the sunroof exploding. That might help dissuade your wife. :lol:

Wolfgang80 04-15-2008 10:32 AM

Do you like sun on your face? I don't so I didn't get the sunroof.

Auto_Pilot 04-15-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Robin Casady (Post 2164033)
I seem to recall someone posting 60 lbs. with a reliable source. That is 60 lbs. at the very top of the car. So, it may increase body roll somewhat.

Search for the sunroof threads about leaks, rattles, and problems with the mechanism. Also, there was at least one report of the sunroof exploding. That might help dissuade your wife. :lol:

Weight was the main reason why I didn't want the sunroof...though it looks wayy cool. But it came with the car, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll need to buy one of those visors, or tint it out.

101101 04-15-2008 11:33 AM

My '04 has a sunroof. Unless MINI redesigned the mechanisms involved with it, expect rattles. My car has very few miles on it but the roof rattles rather often. If I were to get another MINI I'd order w/o the sunroof (plus I'd rather have less weight at the top :wink: ).

Of course if you wife wants a sunroof, I'd suggest getting it. Rattles can be annoying, but not as much as an angry woman.

NashvilleMiniStan 04-15-2008 12:05 PM

I'm in Nashville, TN. it get hot here too. The sunroof is great in the fall, winter and spring. In the summer I have the sun block shades I put up to block the heat. You would probably enjoy it the same amounts of months or more than me.

COOP310 04-15-2008 12:15 PM

I like my sunroof, despite being in sunny FL.

SilverRocket 04-15-2008 01:03 PM

I over all like the sunroof in my R53 enough that I ordered my R56 with one as well. In my R53 I've experienced no leaks or explosions and very little creaking/rattling (and only when it is in between closed and maximum vent positions). There are a number of times when it lets in a bit too much sun, but that's why I've got good sunglasses and a baseball hat (should come as standard equipment when you order sunroof/premium package IMHO).

Haven't had to live with the sunroof in the R56 day in and day out yet, but from test drives on sunny days, it's seems that they have actually darkened the standard tint and improved the mesh shade so that very sunny days are less of an issue.

I look at the sunroof as a good compromise between the maximal performance of the pure hardtop and the open air motoring goodness of a cabrio. If my MCS were to be purely a track/auto-X car I would forgo it, since it will primarily be used as a daily driver, I'm not too worried about the extra weight up top. I would bet that a large percentage of MINI drivers would be hard pressed to notice the difference in handling on public roads.

DrDiff 04-15-2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 101101 (Post 2164261)
Of course if you wife wants a sunroof, I'd suggest getting it. Rattles can be annoying, but not as much as an angry woman.

AMEN brother, ex-mrsdiff hated our MINI, she wanted a divorce and the MINI had to be sold.

Shifti 04-15-2008 01:09 PM

Gotta have that sunroof.:thumbsup:

Oakland Raiders Mini 04-15-2008 02:22 PM

The only option I hate. Whatever it cost I'd pay double to make it go away.

sp_clark 04-15-2008 02:35 PM

I dithered about having one on my R56, delivered just a year ago. Having the black headliner helps... I went with it as part of a package & kind of like having it now. I drove an R53 for 133,000 miles (4-1/2 years worth) that didn't have one, my "first" Cooper (2002 but not an S) had one as well as a black top & it was HOT in the summer!!! Not to mention noisy when open if I was going faster than maybe 15 mph.

My wife has the ulitmate sun-roof: a 2006 Cabrio S!!