R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:03 PM
mellotron
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another for Wet Okoles here. No kids, but we're messy adults, we like to swim at the beach and lake, then hop in the car to go back home. I got them mainly because standard seats were not available in cloth for my 08 MINI and we don't want to sit on leather/ette in summer.

MINI used to make cloth seat covers. My husband had these on his car, but they wore out quickly and we replaced them w/ Wet OKoles.

Did not take out the front seats, but I can see how that might have helped them fit better, if it would allow for pulling the cover down further between the seat cushion and the plastic.

With all those colors there was nothing special that goes with my interior (black, cream white & oak trim.) So I ended up with all-black but it still looks good. My husband has the black with white piping, looks great in his car with the white roof & anthracite interior.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
My don't we have the Monday attitude.

So why don't you go back to mommy and enjoy her plastic slip covers.
I quess with 3400+ posts, you feel privy to be a jerk!

If you wanted protection, why not go with the leatherete from the get go? I really wasn't with an attitude, (until now) but was more curious. I wouldn't cover my cloth seats, and if and when they wear out, I'll either get new seats, or recover them in either leather or cloth.

I just don't get it? Why not get the seats you want when you order the car?

BTW, my mommy died a month ago!

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 06-14-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your loss, but it doesn't excuse the insulting post.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:43 AM
billie_morini
5th Gear
I'd recommend Wet Okole covers. You can get them in all kinds of colours and they protect the original covers so very well. They're completely water proof and I love mine.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
+1 for the Okole's. Had them in my vette. Pain to install, had to pull the seats out, but you know how there is no room around the sides and back of the vettes seat area, but they NEVER shifted and lasted two years before sold. New owner loved them, said they were staying on.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I sat in ALL the MINI Seats, leatherette, cloth, and several versions of the Leather, had I found one 'comfortable' I would have chosen it.

I don't like the seats in her Camry either, or any of the other brands we shopped for her last year.

I was spoiled by my 20 year old Turbo LeBaron which had very comfortable (leather) seats.

My Wet Okole's have not shipped yet, but when they arrive, I plan to devote a whole day (with an empty garage) to install them,
adding some 'extra' padding where I want, using a ½ inch Memory Foam Pad that is sold for a 'twin-size' mattress.

Any 'tips' would be appreciated, as I have never done any upholstry work.

I have also ordered an extra yard of the 320 Yellow (insert) material to cover the armrests; (European Center) and Doors.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Will be interested to hear how it works for you and to see some pics of the covers and extra cushioning installed.

Have been thinking about doing something similar to add more lumber support. I don't mind the seats but wish they were alittle more comfy for long drives.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:47 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Will do! Wet Okole offers (and I have ordered) pneumatic adjustable lumbar supports that velcro behind the covers.

Looks like a little squeeze as seen on blood pressure sleeve to adjust.

Cessna installs that type on their aircraft, a dumb idea, as they swell as you climb (their seat designers don't fly, I guess).

Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Sorry for your loss, but it doesn't excuse the insulting post.
What insulting post? Where did I take a swipe at you personally? I just asked a freaking question moron!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Take it offline please - I don't want to have to close this thread.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Charlie Croker
Am I missing something here? First, I have to assume we're talking covering cloth seats and not leather? Why are we covering cloth seats? To preserve the seat? To prevent wear? To hide the fact that we chose cloth and really wanted leather? To preserve the seats so that when the car goes to the crusher, the seats will be perfect?

I'm really confused on this one, I just don't understand this thinking? My mother, when I was a kid, went through the expense of covering her diningroom furniture with clear plastic? Buy an expensive chair and cover it in plastic???????

Why are you covering a seat that you already love? Splain me dis Lucy? :D
Sounds a bit insulting to me.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
Take it offline please - I don't want to have to close this thread.
Why would you even consider locking this over one poster?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you even consider locking this over one poster?
'Proly to prevent it from growing into a flame war. Let it go, guys. It's just seat covers.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Exactly that.. to prevent it from growing into a flame war..

NAM Rule #2 - RESPECT
When posting, both members and vendors must ALWAYS be respectful of fellow members and vendors. Personal attacks, trolling/baiting, deliberate antagonizing, and flaming will not be tolerated. If you feel you are being attacked, report the post or private message rather than replying or flaming back. However, do not use the report bad post feature to "cry wolf" when you are in fact the instigator of the demise of a discussion. Doing so will result in an infraction or strike.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Ok......2 problems I see here.

One..... is ancient coming in and posting for the first time on the thread answering a question directed to Krut.

And the other is that croker is the only one causing problems. Why would you consider locking a thread when only one person is causing problems.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBella
Will be interested to hear how it works for you and to see some pics of the covers and extra cushioning installed.

Have been thinking about doing something similar to add more lumber support. I don't mind the seats but wish they were alittle more comfy for long drives.
I am spoiled by T-Foam, paid $100 for just the lower part of my Pilot Seat 10 years ago and have also added the 'Temper-Pedic' Pads to old (Firm Foam) Mattresses, expensive, but well worth it. I had hoped the prices had dropped, and planned to buy a 'cheap' Twin Pad, but the cheapest was at Target and it consisted of one inch of regular foam with ½ inch of 3 Lb T-Foam attached.

I instead visited a local "Foam Connection" Shop, she only 'special-ordered' T-Foam, but had a suffecient amount of 'remenants' on hand and also recommended and sold me RamTack (aerosol instant contact)
to put them togather with.

Got by with same money as Target, but She had the Highest Quality 5 Lb T-Foam, but only in four inch thick, was a concern, but worked perfectly, wow what comfort. One 'in progress' and 'one done' photos below.

Sorry about the super-size photos, no-time now, gone flying, but will try to fix later.

MiniBella the lumbar support is that black squeeze bulb.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by pilotart; 06-19-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: reduce photos size
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
tenpen
1st Gear
Anyone ordered Okole's recently? My experience has not been pleasant with them so far. I hope to be THRILLED with the covers to compensate.

I hadn't considered putting cush for the tush in there. Any comments on how it worked out?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Working great, an 8 hour ride is less tiring than a 4 hour used to be. See that my photos in post above are gone, so here are some:

Passenger Seat Memory Foam, actually used much more for drivers seat

ready to sink into here

(Click here to open a larger version of above in new window)

Sad for your unpleasant experience and you will be thrilled with your seats.

Wet Okole's neoprene material has plenty of 'stretch' to cover any amount of extra padding you might want.

My MINI has never been stored in the cold, but I know from my aircraft that first few minutes on ice cold Memory Foam is like sitting on a board.
This is not a problem for me, but thought I would mention it.