R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Looks Bloated

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Looks Bloated

I parked next to a GenI MINI yesterday, and when I looked at the two parked sided by side, it almost looked like mine had an infection and was all swollen. Granted the other was an MC and mine is an MCS, but the difference is really noticeable. Again, MINI has gone and messed with the design for some pedestrian safety regulation that won't affect 99.999999% of us.

And they put a rearview mirror in the car that does create a safety issue for some (and will cost $400+ to replace if you screw up modding it).

And beautiful Lounge Leather seats that ought to look like they do in Europe, but have to have some sensor in them that doesn't work right with the Euro design (an is a pain in the butt if you're taking someone a few hundred feet down the road, and have to either make them buckle up, or tolerate the incessant beeping)

Sorry for venting. I love my car, but as in a thread I started awhile back, some things really irk me.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
I haven't noticed the festively-plumpedness of the R56... but I must say I much prefer these headlights and front bumper to the R50/53s. The only thing that irks me (since I've never owned a car with such small overhangs) is that people pulling up behind me always seem to come right up to my bumper, even if they aren't.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Although the Gen I car is in fact beautiful and has aged very well, the R56 in my opinion is not too off the mark.

For someone like me that knew nothing about MINI's, jumping into the new R56 was no brainer. All in all, there are things that I like more in the Gen1 car but by the same token, there are things I like more on the R56.

I am not dismissing your statement, I can quite relate but it happens with all car munufacturers. You fall in love with one model and then, in your mind they go off and mess up the design you fell in love for the next generation.

My own is Audi, the original A4 (1995-2001) was the most beautiful car I had seen on the road back then, I bought one. The next gen came along and it really turned me off, I thought it was big mistake. Audi has continued to appeal to the masses by making the A4 unattractive to me, because I will always have the reference of the original car I fell in love with.

The same thing can be said for the MINI....I love my R56.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
I parked next to a GenI MINI yesterday, and when I looked at the two parked sided by side, it almost looked like mine had an infection and was all swollen. Granted the other was an MC and mine is an MCS, but the difference is really noticeable. Again, MINI has gone and messed with the design for some pedestrian safety regulation that won't affect 99.999999% of us.

And they put a rearview mirror in the car that does create a safety issue for some (and will cost $400+ to replace if you screw up modding it).

And beautiful Lounge Leather seats that ought to look like they do in Europe, but have to have some sensor in them that doesn't work right with the Euro design (an is a pain in the butt if you're taking someone a few hundred feet down the road, and have to either make them buckle up, or tolerate the incessant beeping)

Sorry for venting. I love my car, but as in a thread I started awhile back, some things really irk me.
Dear lord, just sell your damn car already if crap like this bothers you enough that you have to post about it once a week.

I park next to my roommates MC every day (we used to have matching MC's) and while I can tell the difference it hardly bothers me. In fact I LOVE the fact that R56 looks a little more muscular.
As for changing the car, they had to do it regardless of whether or not you think that 99.999% of us will never need the changes for safety. You can't make a car and sell it if it doesn't meet various safety requirements.

The mirror issue is something you get used to, just more your head dammit, you can lean slightly to your left as you corner and see the whole road and not be bothered at all.

The seat issue I don't get, you get in my car, you buckle up. I don't care if we are going 100 feet or 100 miles. Once I'm off the driveway you have the seatbelt on, period, end of discussion.

Last edited by Rastven; 10-17-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Not to many nits to pick.

Buckle up. Even the bumper cars have 'em.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
kfisto
3rd Gear
I've never owned a MINI and there are definitely things I like on the R50/53 more, but I too, love the more muscular look of the R56 S. I imagine it will be my own little sabre jet... though probably not a shiny silver one!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
yes, your Gen2 Minis are fat. its ok though, its that western influence...no one can escape it....even the Minis.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rastven
In fact I LOVE the fact that R56 looks a little more muscular.
Agreed. The MC is much cleaner looking up front, too. Side by side the differences can be seen, but apart from that it's hard to tell...which was MINIs intention.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
No need to apologize at all. It's your MINI you can vent about it all you like. Even though I love my R52 I've vented about it more than once

Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
old81
M6
More buff, what is wrong with that.

I like all the years of the MINIs, If I had the garage room and a few extra $$ for toys, I think it would be neat to have an 02 MCS and MC, and 06 MCS and MC, then add to the collection with an 06 Cabrio S. To go with my 07 MCSa I think the new 09 Cabrio would be a nice addition (this may happen), since I will be looking for another MINI in that time frame.

They all have their appeal. I do think the Supercharger sound of the GenI MCS is really neat and I go out of my way to hear a nicely modded 02-06 MCS.

With some subtle mods you can get some nice sound out of the 07 MCS turbo.

So to each their own, I just love the MINI.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Dear lord, just sell your damn already if crap like this bothers you.
Wow! I thought this was a discussion forum, not a mutual admiration society...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
No you're not

Again, MINI has gone and messed with the design for some pedestrian safety regulation that won't affect 99.999999% of us.

They had no choice. The Euro regs were changed. Better to stop making the car?? C'mon...the "compromise" ain't that bad. Try "sport button on, loud pedal down, start shifting and steering!" Seems acceptable to me!

I still don't get this. I'm six one, I don't see any issue. "if you screw up modding it)"...hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it definitely ain't broke.

Most accidents happen within a very few miles from home. Put the belt on and be quiet, please. Geez. This is not dental surgery. I put my little backpack or a bag of groceries on the passenger seat, and sometimes the beeping starts. THIS is not going to ruin my drive. I just stop, move the pack/bag to the floor, and get back to enjoying this swell driving machine. Big whip!

Sorry for venting. I love my car, but as in a thread I started awhile back, some things really irk me.[/quote]

NO, you're not (sorry, that is...if you were that sorry, you would have typed this personal grind and then backed up to delete it and moved on. If these things IRK you so much, you must not have any major problems in your life. Lucky you!

IF you have so many "personal issues" with the R56, sell it and go buy an earlier model. There are plenty of them out there as some owners trade up, and many of them have been extraordinarily cared for, as a Mini should be!

(For the record, I dig all the modern Minis 02 on up.... and the old ones like my long gone 62 Cooper). And as to the R56, I agree with the professional tester who said something along the lines of, "This new turbo engine is just far more entertaining and fun to play with."

Life is full of compromises. Either that or you end up dead or in jail. Enjoy your Mini and motor on, I say!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
IF your post was your idea of discussion, I don't want to be at your kitchen table come dinner time!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Look, I have no problem with people making comments or venting but as the previous poster mentioned, if you like the R50/53 better, go buy one. I like them too and would have happily brought a new R53 but the R56 is a better all round car IMHO and it looks better too.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
mini d
5th Gear
...... the R56 is a better all round car IMHO and it looks better too.

He was just stating his opinion as you just did. I happen to disagree with yours, you disagree with his. R56's do look bloated and the interior is comical. Feel free to criticize the R53, but from a styling point it is hard to criticize perfection.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I like the engine in the R56. That's why I bought one. If I could get a Classic Mini with that engine, I would.

If you don't like my posts you can feel free to ignore them. If the discussion is so distasteful, why are you bothering to respond?

And you're not invited for dinner...

Last edited by jascooper; 10-17-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini d
He was just stating his opinion as you just did. I happen to disagree with yours, you disagree with his. R56's do look bloated and the interior is comical. Feel free to criticize the R53, but from a styling point it is hard to criticize perfection.
I like the R50/53, I like the interior of those cars. I find it ironic though that people criticise the R56 interior when it is vastly superior to the R50/53. The fit is better, the placement of the toggle switches and thier feel is superior, the dash on the tach displays more info in better fashion, the lighting is better, the storage is better and it rattles 1000 times less.

Yes we all love our cars and yes the R50/53 owners love theirs but my point was the OP keeps bring up these nit pick issues and while this is an open forum there is a point where if you don't like the R56 so much maybe an R50/53 is for you.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
I like the engine in the R56. That's why I bought one. If I could get a Classic Mini with that engine, I would.

If you don't like my posts you can feel free to ignore them. If the discussion is so distasteful, why are you bothering to respond?

And you're not invited for dinner...
So now you want the prince engine in a 60's MINI?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
Wow I just wasted time from my life to read this post. JK. But in all honesty, seatbelts are there for a reason...use it. And for styling, come on everyone usually hates the "new" version at first, because it's not what you are used to. For example I had an '04 Wrangler (sold it for the MCS) and the new '07 look bloated to me. But you know what in the 5 or so months that they have been around at least on the road, I am actually starting to like them. How about that. What was once bloated is now nice. You figure that one out! And who was it that said "bigger is better!"

Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW, Tuff Love in this thread.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Just curious jascooper, did you buy your R56 sight-unseen? Methinks someone just enjoys flame-baiting.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Well I suppose some company here in the US could mfg. some new bonnets to make them more contoured like the Gen1s and sell them for a juicy profit. Anyone have an aluminum extruding plant?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crusoe
Well I suppose some company here in the US could mfg. some new bonnets to make them more contoured like the Gen1s
Wouldn't work...the beltline is higher, too. I think MINI did a fine job on the R56 bonnet.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM
mini d
5th Gear
I like the R50/53, I like the interior of those cars.
At least we agree on something!

I find it ironic though that people criticise the R56 interior when it is vastly superior to the R50/53. The fit is better, the placement of the toggle switches and thier feel is superior, the dash on the tach displays more info in better fashion, the lighting is better, the storage is better and it rattles 1000 times less.
I can't speak to the R56 interior quality, but my interior has no fit, feel or rattle issues. My tach displays the RPM's, what else is a tach supposed to display? Full panel of toggles (which are fine where they are) and full instrumentation (from the factory, MC40). As far as styling goes, it is light years better than the R56. All the R56 needs is mickey ears on the center column and it will be finished. The dash looks ridiculously chopped up with the disconnected vent pods and the serving platter in the center. It's like a geek that tried too hard to look cool for the prom. Lighting and storage? Maybe you should be looking at SUV's

Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
Just curious jascooper, did you buy your R56 sight-unseen?
No I took one for a nice test drive (including the 'sport' button). As I pointed out, I wanted the new engine.

But just because I enjoy my R56, doesn't mean there aren't things that bother me about it. This would be a pretty boring forum if we all just wrote about what we named our cars, or what ship they came over on.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Looks Bloated