R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A 6,500 Mile USA Road Trip- MINI Style

Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 6,500 Mile USA Road Trip- MINI Style

I've posted a few notes about my recent marathon USA road trip, but I want to publish my thoughts about the MINI motoring experience now that I have returned to the great PNW. Route: Texas-Illinois-Kentucky-South Carolina and return to Texas-Nebraska-South Dakota-Montana-Puget Sound, WA.

How easy is it to pick up a new MINI out of state?
A piece of cake I had a great experience working with Sonja at MINI of Dallas. Serendipitous circumstances allowed me the opportunity to buy my dream OB MCa for this road trip without waiting 4 months at NW MINI. The MINI was delivered on time as promised, and all of the registration paperwork to get my WA tags was done to perfection. In fact, the licensing office here in WA commented on how well organized all of the paperwork from Dallas was. THANK YOU!!

Is a MINI big enough for a road trip?
I had three different traveling partners on various legs of the trip. Two people were in the car at all traveling times. With the back seats folded down, the car, at maximum load on the return leg, contained:
A huge suitcase
A stuffed large athletic bag
A copy paper box containing an antique hurricane lamp from Kentucky
A stuffed medium size athletic bag
Two stuffed back packs
A laptop bag
Four plastic grocery bags of books (bookaholics are we all)
A case of water (24 half liter size)
Two pairs of running shoes
A plastic dishwashing container of detailing supplies
A first aid kit
A Pep Boys tire pump
Bags of snacks

And, yep, I had full visibility on all sides at all times. The MINI had room to spare for more goodies

How comfortable is the MINI for long distant traveling?
The longest day was the 800 plus mile haul from Billings, Montana. I drove 650 miles and my daughter drove the last miles. I only let her drive so that I could finish up a book I was hooked on. The MINI is so road connected, begging for driver involvement, that never once did I experience the road hypnotism that always seems to come on during extended periods of interstate driving. We took as many detours as possible on backroads given the time constraints, but probably 75% of the trip was on interstates. The MINI took us through the flat lands of Illinois, THE DRAGON, the rolling hills of SC, Georgia, Alabama, and Nebraska and the magnificent "other" Dragon driving in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Total comfort under all circumstances, as agreed upon by all three of my travel mates.

Does the automatic MC have enough power to get out of the way of the 18-wheelers?
Yep. As I've noted, the auto MC isn't the quickest straight out of the chute. I was at all times able to merge on any interstate ramp regardless of length without the slighest fear or hesitation, though. When I wanted to pass on two-lane roads, a simple downshift with the paddles or using the manual stick shift, gave Tawanda all the punch she needed.

Does a sunroof make the MINI too hot?
Granted we don't have eternal sunshine in the PNW, but in my 05 S I didn't have the sunroof tinted and never felt any ill effects. However, for this trip MINI of Dallas arranged to have the windows tinted on pick up. The sunroof got a limo tint. We were fortunate not to hit the 100 plus temps, but I consistently drove in temps of 97 plus with BRIGHT sun. The MINI was perfection in the cool department. Tinted windows are a must for comfort and privacy. And, the sunroof gives it a nice airy feel. With a heated seat, a sunroof and a cold PNW day....heaven

Are coco mats too expensive?
Me thinks not! Tawanda got a BD gift from my mother. And, yes, coco mats will be ordered today. Cocomats.com. I have a thing for nice floor mats in cars, and I've never had anything better than coco mats. They have that retro look and feel that the MINI begs for. Plus, they fit like a glove in the car.

So, I may be preaching to the choir here. But, I know when I lusted after a MINI a few years ago, I read everything I could about them. So, hopefully this post will help someone who is in the pre-MINI mania days. MINI mania never goes away

Happy trails.......

Last edited by Blue Skies 05; 07-30-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Great trip. Good to know she's a fine long distance traveler.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lovely write-up, Blue Skies! I've done about 11-12 cross-country trips in my second MINI, my beloved 2003 MCS, Wicked Wanda. The first trip was undertaken when I'd only had her for a week. It included attending the first Dragon and I traveled through 22 states. I just love traveling in her and am pleased to read about your fun trip, too!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
ha ha great stuff!! MLE and I have enjoyed all the trips we have been on... and the mini is more than big enough... and more comfy than alot of other cars in our opinion....

I am getting ready for another cross country trip soon... in my 400 HP mini... should be a blast! I think I better get a radar detector... LOL

Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Tüls
I am getting ready for another cross country trip soon... in my 400 HP mini... should be a blast! I think I better get a radar detector... LOL
That wins the understatement of the month award, Tuls! LOL!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Great write up. I've been dreaming about a road trip ever since I put in my order for a MINI, nice to hear about the success of your adventure

btw:
I love your MC's name... Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite books

Last edited by unixgal; 07-30-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Good to hear about your experience. I'm in dealings with Sonja at MoD right now! Will be headed up there for some fun on Friday

Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by unixgal
btw:
I love your MC's name... Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite books
unixgal, you'll have to take a road trip to have fried green tomatoes and fried chicken at The Whistlestop Cafe, aka the Irondale Cafe, which is featured in Fried Green Tomatoes. I ate there for the first time on my first road trip in 2003, and it was delicious!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
post deleted

Last edited by Blue Skies 05; 07-30-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: speed issue
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
Good to hear about your experience. I'm in dealings with Sonja at MoD right now! Will be headed up there for some fun on Friday
Sonja really is on the ball I just shot her this link to share with customers.
You will certainly be having fun come Friday! I'll bet you have some hill country routes planned on the way back to Austin. I just love that part of Texas.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
unixgal, you'll have to take a road trip to have fried green tomatoes and fried chicken at The Whistlestop Cafe, aka the Irondale Cafe, which is featured in Fried Green Tomatoes. I ate there for the first time on my first road trip in 2003, and it was delicious!
Yep, Fried Green Tomatoes is awesome, both book and flic. Kathy Bates is the real Tawanda, and my little gal is definitely carrying on her spirit and spunk.
Unfortunately, we drove farther south in Alabama and didn't get to Irondale in Birmingham. Shame But, wow oh wow, did I ever eat my full of Southern cooking on the trip. The Lizard's Thicket in Columbia, SC has some tasty breakfasts.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by Blue Skies 05
Yep, Fried Green Tomatoes is awesome, both book and flic. Kathy Bates is the real Tawanda, and my little gal is definitely carrying on her spirit and spunk.
Unfortunately, we drove farther south in Alabama and didn't get to Irondale in Birmingham. Shame But, wow oh wow, did I ever eat my full of Southern cooking on the trip. The Lizard's Thicket in Columbia, SC has some tasty breakfasts.
Sounds like you had a great time all 'round. Great food and great roads, I'd love to go ... then again I'd gain a million pounds if I ate too much southern cooking (yummy as it is though).

Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you had one helluva adventure Blue Skies!
I hope to get some adventures in myself soon.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write-up on your trip and some good "tips and examples" for others thinking about doing the same thing. Glad you got home safe and sound

Donna

Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will you take me next time? Hubby says no to a road trip in the MINI--insists on the 5-series instead. Yuck.

I think I'm going to visit my folks in Florida this fall. Solo.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Nice trip and write-up! Good to see an MCa getting her props!!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Will you take me next time? Hubby says no to a road trip in the MINI--insists on the 5-series instead. Yuck.

I think I'm going to visit my folks in Florida this fall. Solo.
Well, away you should go Make him all jealous and wishing he had come with you by posting YOUR trip so we can all "ride along with you"

I am still marveling at what a wonderful long-haul road cruiser the MINI is. Between Texas and Idaho, I saw TWO MINIs. The minute we crossed over into WA, I counted FOUR within about 25 miles. The Puget Sound area is crawling with

Happy trails!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyAquila
Nice trip and write-up! Good to see an MCa getting her props!!
You betcha! The more I drive the MCa, the more I appreciate the versality and fun inherent in being able to shift on the fly in multiple ways