R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 6 Speed Lifetime oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Speed uses ATF instead of Gear Oil ?

Redline just called me to advise me that they have completed their analysis of the MINI's "Lifetime" oil for the Getrag 6 speed. The rep. said that chemically, it closely matches their D6 ATF (Read: Automatic Transmission Fluid).

I was surprised, and asked why they are using ATF in a manual transmission. He surmised that they may be doing this for CAFE reasons...lower parasitic drag from the fluid. I asked him if he thought it would be o.k to use Redline MTF, which has a higher viscosity, and he said yes, this is what most Getrags have been running for years.

I question why MINI would be using a lower viscosity fluid such as ATF in the MINI. Sure seems like MTF would protect the syncros better than ATF. Anyone have a clue?

Last edited by Coffeeman; 07-11-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't. But it's not the first time I have heard of ATF being used in a manual.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Did MINI also use the AT oil in the previous generation MINIs. Could this be the reason or maybe the fix to all the transmission problems?

If this oil doesn't protect as well as manual transmission oil perhaps MINI doesn't care since the transmission will still last before the warranty runs out and if it breaks later on it just means more money for BMW.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mufflethis
Did MINI also use the AT oil in the previous generation MINIs. Could this be the reason or maybe the fix to all the transmission problems?

If this oil doesn't protect as well as manual transmission oil perhaps MINI doesn't care since the transmission will still last before the warranty runs out and if it breaks later on it just means more money for BMW.
Wow. Just wow. That is some jump in logic.
A sales rep says that MINI manual tranny oil is identical to an ATF product his/her company makes.
MINI must be dong this to screw over customers.

What did you drive before you got a MINI?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Weird news to hear. Already getting very nervous about getting my MCS with all the tranny problems described here. Maybe you can try and change your title as this topic needs more attention than your title commands.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
ATF (and other lightweight oils) have been used for years

Originally Posted by LynnEl
I don't. But it's not the first time I have heard of ATF being used in a manual.
Agreed: ATF isn't anything new in manual transmissions, and it can work very well in performance usage. Examples include the Borg-Warner T5 used behind high-performance V8s from both Chevrolet & Ford, as well as the T56 used in the Corvette. BMW specs auto-fluid for the manuals in a number of their RWD cars.

Many early British cars including Jaguar MG & Triumph specified motor oil (not 90W gear oil) in their gearboxes. And that certainly includes the "classic" early minis where the gearbox was literally in the engine's sump (oil pan).

- spoken as the past-owner of a '67 CooperS and several MGs
- Current: 2005 MCS w/mods & MGB/V8

Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Yep, the 5.0 Mustang I bought new 20 years ago had a T-5 with ATF. I just figured that they all had gone to lighter oils because of the internal resistance/heat thing.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was always under the impression that an auto trans would need more robust lubrication than a manual trans. After all, with a torque converter and various internal clutches they can build up a lot of heat. Am I wrong about that?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
Wow. Just wow. That is some jump in logic.
A sales rep says that MINI manual tranny oil is identical to an ATF product his/her company makes.
MINI must be dong this to screw over customers.

What did you drive before you got a MINI?
I don't think that they would use ATF to make more money after the warranty runs out, but rather, I buy into the better mileage argument....less resistance = better mileage.

This just seems weird to me, as I've driven BMW's for 35+ years, and every BMW manual I've owned used Manual Transmission Oil, not ATF. I always changed the gearbox oil every 15k with Redline MTF. Never had a transmission failure, or syncro problem.

I wonder if this has anything to do with LSD. Is the LSD in the gearbox/transaxle using the same fluid as the 6 speed? (This is the first front wheel drive car I've owned, so I don't know much about front wheel drive systems)

Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Changing your tranny oil that often is certainly exceptional care. I mean, I would wager that there are *****'s Jeeps running around out there right now with factory oil in the tranny. Manuals just dont get hot enough to break down the oil.

If this oil doesn't protect as well as manual transmission oil perhaps MINI doesn't care since the transmission will still last before the warranty runs out and if it breaks later on it just means more money for BMW.Today 03:14 PM

I think maybe I just read that wrong.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I thought E46 had D4ATF in the tranny...manual or auto.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I was always under the impression that an auto trans would need more robust lubrication than a manual trans. After all, with a torque converter and various internal clutches they can build up a lot of heat. Am I wrong about that?
A manual is just hardened gears working against each other, needing just lubrication. Aside from the lubrication, an auto uses the fluid primarily to generate hydraulic pressure to operate the transmission. The fluid heat needs to be more closely regulated to prevent breakdown of the fluid, which leads to all other sorts of nasty things in an auto.