R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Scoop is not the same color.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Thanks for all the encouragement. When I am confident that MINI of Mountian View techs have mastered the software update for Voce Activation, I'll have them do that upgrade and fix the scoop color.
FYI, the software upgrade should not be required to fix the scoop color. Oh wait...you mean you're just saving an extra 174-mile round trip to the dealer?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colea
Oh wait...you mean you're just saving an extra 174-mile round trip to the dealer?
Bingo!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
It would definitely bug me. So go ahead, whine, whail, wimper, lament, complain, rant, moan, gripe, groan, mumble, grumble, fuss, shout, whatever works for you....or just ask politely for it to be fixed. I would probably just go for the carbon fiber version.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Mine doesn't seem to quite match either.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Anyone notice that the paint on the scoop doesn't exactly match the paint on the body?

Here I've increased the saturation of the image to make it easier to see the color difference:

So, what to do? Live with it? Complain? Take it out and paint it another color? Spend $300 on a carbon fiber scoop?
You should complain and your dealer have the obligation to fix it. Don't spend any money on it.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
Just checked

Robin,

I (will) have more or less the same car as you do. I just checked it in the dealers' parking lot. (still dusty from the transport).

There is certainly a color difference. Or - even better - as someone suggested - there is a difference in the reflection of the paint - I think secondary to different surface quality (the bonnet is metal, probably primed differently than the scoop - that seems to be plastic. Now - a difference in shades or reflectance is mroe or less "expected". The point is... I doubt it will match perfectly, one way or another.You can certainly see it more in the sun than in the shade - that is why I think it is not necessary the hue of the color - but its reflectance. It was certainly obvious in bright sun - at an angle.

I'll see at the delivery (that is usually indoors - in the dealer's showroom - thus less visible).

MMM

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimaximini
Robin,

I (will) have more or less the same car as you do. I just checked it in the dealers' parking lot. (still dusty from the transport).

There is certainly a color difference. Or - even better - as someone suggested - there is a difference in the reflection of the paint - I think secondary to different surface quality (the bonnet is metal, probably primed differently than the scoop - that seems to be plastic. Now - a difference in shades or reflectance is mroe or less "expected". The point is... I doubt it will match perfectly, one way or another.You can certainly see it more in the sun than in the shade - that is why I think it is not necessary the hue of the color - but its reflectance. It was certainly obvious in bright sun - at an angle.

I'll see at the delivery (that is usually indoors - in the dealer's showroom - thus less visible).

MMM
It is definitely a color difference, not just surface texture/reflectivity. There is a slight difference in the surface; the orange peel is more pronounced on the scoop. However, whether in the sun or fluorescent lights, there is a purple/cyan color difference. I suspect the scoop was painted separately from the body and assembled later. Whether it is due to differences in the substrates or a difference in the silver or clear coat, they do not match.

If the carbon fiber scoop didn't cost so much...

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I'd definitely call the dealer now--at least put him on record that there is a problem. Waiting to notify until there is a problem might be too late...

Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'd definitely call the dealer now--at least put him on record that there is a problem. Waiting to notify until there is a problem might be too late...
I sent an email to my MA sometime ago, but no response. At least I have a record of it. I'll be driving up that direction tomorrow. If I have time, I'll stop at MINI of Mountian View and show them.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 AM
undertow
2nd Gear
In the very first pic, the scoop looks fine (pure silver) the rest of your car looks like teal or aquamarine!

Even more pronounced in the final pic as well actually.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
70spop
6th Gear
As previously stated, silver is almost impossible to match perfectly. You can certainly have the scoop repainted and you might very well get closer than what you have (I see the difference in "blueishness" that you are talking about), but It's going to be hard to get an exact match withough spraying the entire bonnet with the scoop in place. And then the bonnet wouldn't exactly match the rest of the car, and so on. Anyone with a Sparkling Silver car might have the same issue.

Have 'em give it a shot, but I'd be inclined to see if they'll give you a break on a cf scoop, or just have it painted black or Dark Silver. Good luck. Post results.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 AM
dog rocket
1st Gear
I concur (again).

I will bet ya a dollar if they order a new painted scoop, it won't match perfectly either (hopefully it will be better with a coin flip). I also agree a shop may be able to achieve a better match since they will be using your car as a color template. But then you have to deal with issues like quality and flake. The flake will be a big issue and I believe it's the main reason silver is so hard to match. Flake picks up light and if the new paint has too much or too little flake (or bigger or smaller flake), it will look different from different angles to the lighting. This is EDUCATED GUESSING based on having had silver cars in the past and having had to deal with a number of incidents requiring body work on them. The factory should have a good handle on the flake, but apparently they are having an issue with the color. :(

Silver is a booger.

Last edited by dog rocket; 05-25-2007 at 11:07 AM.