R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New2me 2014 R55S Hyde Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:23 PM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New2me 2014 R55S Hyde Park

On Thursday I bought a 2014 R55S Hyde Park (which seems like it's just a paint-and-stickers package, but correct me if I'm wrong). I'm having it delivered to the house tomorrow, but have a few photos from the dealership in the meantime. 29,200 miles; 3 months of factory warranty left. One owner, 6M, two sunroofs, Polar Beige interior, Pepper White with Cool Champagne roof and stripes and mirrors.

Even in the test drive I realized I'm no fan of the runflats, Remaining tread seems fine but I'm going to change them out for real tires next week. Before I do a bunch of research and reinvent the wheel, I figured I'd ask on here about the "forum approved" tire choices.

As for my use, this will be a strictly tame, gentle, suitable road car. I realized last week that with my three other cars I've sort of painted myself into a corner:

1) The Sportscar is sublime on track or in the mountains. But it's loud, runs Pilot Sport Cup 2s that really shouldn't even be used below 40 degrees F (though I do, with care), and has OEM pads suited for the track that squeal like a pig on the last little bit of gentle stopping at the neighborhood stop signs (while being quiet and very well-behaved pulling it down from 145mph when I get to 10A at Road Atlanta!);
2) JK Wrangler built for the rocks of Moab, Utah. I get to use it out there several weeks a year, and it's fun enough to putter around town in. But neither it nor the Sportscar are suitable interstate trips cars, nor are they suitable cars for hauling associates or my older mom around in.
3) '68 Cadillac convertible is fun, but AC doesn't work, 9mpg, smells like a carbuerated car from the '60s.

So unless I am riding with my wife in her sensible SUV, I'm having the time of my life tooling around, but I'm missing an adult car.

That's where the Clubman comes in.

I tell you all this backstory in order to dissuade you hooligans from suggesting I put RE71s or Hoosiers on the thing, after dropping it 2". Ain't gonna happen! I've committed to keeping this car good at... well, tootling around in comfort (and a modicum of sportiness) and relative quiet.

So to that end, wondering what tire people are going to that maybe erases some of the suspension harshness I'm feeling through the runflats. I live in Atlanta and like most cities the roads aren't always in perfect condition. Not trying to lose any sidewall height here.

Thanks for any suggestions, along with why you like them, if you don't mind.

Cheers!

On this next shot you can see some fading from the Florida sun (previous owner was Ft. Myers) on the stripes. I've ordered two more from local dealer (Global Imports), coming in next week or so. I assume these aren't too hard to DIY install?

Old 04-29-2018, 04:08 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Very nice! I couldn’t live with the light tan leather seats, but they look certainly look nice.

I like the boot liner. WeatherTech?

Please post a follow up after the stripe install. I need to replace my Hampton stripes, too.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:29 AM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Thanks, it is pretty isn't it. I didn't go seeking it -- in fact, with over 40 cars owned this is my first white one -- and just pursued this one because the price was 1500+ less than anything competing with under 50,000 miles. I would be worried about the seats as well, but with 30,000 miles on them they look factory new, so hopefully they're easy to keep clean.

It looks like a weathertech mat in back, but I didn't inspect it before. Should know in about 3 hours.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Wow, 97 looks and no tire suggestions? Is this not a "tire suggestiony" kind of forum?

Old 04-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
ExtremeContact™ DWS06 on my Countryman. They ride well but my son has got a few nails, etc in them. Could just be luck of the draw. When I drove the car I never had any issues.

Tire suggestions however aren't worth much IMO. I like the Bridgestone Driveguards on my F56 and although RunFlats I am able to balance the convenience factor versus a rougher ride. Car still handles very well.

My wifes F55 has the OEM crap RF's and the car has the smoothest ride of all.

The following users liked this post:
NoGaBiker (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:23 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I’ve been running the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and couldn’t be happier. Super grip and quite ride. My clubman has a donut spare and a crank jack in the boot as well as a Rockford Fosgate sub all under the deck.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
yep, that's super cool!

Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 AM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Well, wound up with the Michelin Premier A/S in 215/45. At about a buck-fifty a corner they're definitely not cheap, but I'm delighted with the improvement in NVH over the Driveguards that were on it. I deflated to 33psi and drove them 350 miles to the beach yesterday and it really transformed the experience. Michelin now has a thing where they'll either tow you 150 miles or bring a new tire and mount it at your location if you get a flat and have one of their tires, so hopefully that will ease any flat tire concerns. I'm also carrying my tire plug kit and a small compressor, which should be enough for most "nail in the tread" type flats, should one occur.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
New things I've learned:

1) I don't have Proximity Key (whatever they call it) where it stays in your pocket and you push the button. That's fine, I don't actually like it on the cars I've had with it, and have actually ordered my last two German cars without it.

2) There's a cable in the owners manual pouch. It is designed to let you hook your iPhone up with one cable which charges it and also splits and plugs into the AUX port. But... it has the old iPhone 1- iPhone 4 connector (forgotten what those were even called). I've just been using a USB-Lightening cable to charge and a separate AUX cable to play music.

3) I have no sat radio! The hardware's there but it has to be programmed, to the tune of $500+ labor included. Plus subscription. I'll do it because I'm weaned on sat channels and listening to local FM has been excruciating these last few days.

4) Replacement stripes are in at the dealer. I'll pick them up shortly when I get back to town. Old ones are faded from FLA sun.

5) I really, really dislike the inability to block the sun completely! Who knew such a car existed? Sun in the southern US is intense enough that you can feel it uncomfortably on your head, even with a good tint on the sunroof glass and the mesh shade closed. I've ordered an aftermarket screen that fits to the underside of the glass, but will explore other options as well. Something affixed to the mesh screen would be great.

6) The car is a blast to drive, seriously. It shares garage space with some nice iron, including a GT4, and it holds its own in the fun-to-drive category. Certainly not the penalty box I've found the Japanese subcompacts to be. Of course, it costs a lot more new, also.

7) So far, I'm very happy with the amount of car I seem to have gotten for under 15,000 bucks. Sure, you can see where some costs were cut to keep pricing reasonable, but overall they did a remarkable job with their budget. Hats off to BMW on this one.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Tires

My winter tires are ExtremeContact™ DWS06 as mentioned above, and my summer tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.

I like them both - I don't drive my Clubman in snowy/icey conditions...use my wife's R60 All4 for that.

The Indy 500's are excellent tires for the money....I have them in 215/45-17 and I have a space saver spare in the boot. I use them for wet and cold weather autocrossing. I also have RE71's for autocrossing and Hoosiers for track days. The Indy 500's suit my use well.

Your Clubby is a beauty, and it seems perfectly suited for your intended use. That is, no mods needed. However, if you do consider a slight mod for even more fun, check this out-
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html

This insert eliminates a lot of engine movement. I was skeptical, but tried it anyway and love it. It tightened up the connection between your right foot and the drive wheels for even more fun. Its easy to install and isn't expensive.

Have fun with your Clubman, and welcome to the fold!

NoGaBiker (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Love your Clubman, great combo and all the right options!

I'd do a tune, CAI, maybe exhaust, and some suspension mods to make it handle like no other fwd car!

NoGaBiker (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 AM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Hmmm... I wrote a fairly extensive review of my experience so far getting to know her, posted it last night. Instead of appearing, I got a little message that said it wouldn't be posted until review by a moderator. I didn't use any salty language, to quote my dad, and I never got that before. Not sure why it hasn't appeared. If it doesn't show by the end of the day I'll repost something similar.

Thanks everybody. Bugeye, I'll check out those motor mounts. Sounds like a good idea. PokerMunkee, I don't need your type on here goading me to destroy -- oops, I mean tune -- another perfectly good road car. :D It's already right at the edge of comfortable on the interstate. I probably should have gotten a used LS430 or something so I could really zone out and float down the road. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmm... I wrote a fairly extensive review of my experience so far getting to know her, posted it last night. Instead of appearing, I got a little message that said it wouldn't be posted until review by a moderator. I didn't use any salty language, to quote my dad, and I never got that before. Not sure why it hasn't appeared. If it doesn't show by the end of the day I'll repost something similar.
Initial thoughts after a 5-hour drive to the beach and a few days running around both in Atlanta and on the GA. Coast:

1) Replacing Runflat Bridgestone Driveguards with Michelin Premier A/S was a big improvement in noise and harsh transmittal of road imperfections. Car felt and sounded like it was crashing on the bumpstops when you hit a wide crack or something at 30mph. Now it is much smoother -- not Lexus LS smooth, but also far better riding than my daughters 05 Mazda 3 was on any tires we tried. Also a very quiet interior for a built-to-a-price premium compact. Sunroofs don't whistle or let air noises in on the interstate

2) I'm impressed with the MINI's build quality and interior appointments. It was said back when the car came out that BMW was sort of inventing the Premium Subcompact segment, or some such. It is certainly nice to have a car with such a small footprint that still gives you excellent objective performance, very good ergos, decent quality leather (for the segment -- not in the universe of leathers), and a very high fun-to-drive quotient.

3) Mileage. Said to be 37 or something. I need to actually measure it; maybe I will on the way home from the beach tomorrow, where I pretty much set the cruise at 79 and point the car for 5 hours. At any rate, delivering me from Atlanta to the coast (350 miles) with nearly a quarter tank still showing on the gauge is a very nice change from the Wrangler's 2-gas-stops version of that trip.

4) Performance. Lots of torque steer when you nail it from zero or low speeds. Not unmanageable at all but definitely requires attention and some counter-steering pressure on the wheel to keep it between the lines. The car really feels like its moving out; I suspect its 0-40 time is much more impressive (on paper) than its 0-60, which is said to be 6.2/14.9 quarter in some piece I read online (no idea if that's accurate, but it feels slower than the initial lunge, which is why I said the 0-40 is probably more impressive).

Gearing is such that 80 in 6th is about 500rpm lower than my sportscar, so its quiet and relaxed in that role. There's a sport button that must be activated with every drive if you want it. Tightens up DBW and steering responses and is noticeable. Unfortunately, it also introduces a ridiculous backfiring sound on in-gear deceleration, not at all like the Porsche burble or blatt I'm used to. I really wish it could be defeated without turning Sport off.

5) Utility and niggling issues: Hauled my Bianchi race bike down to the beach with just the front wheel removed. Back seats folded of course. I love the little barn doors back there, if only for the novelty of them. All the hardware feels top rate in the hand. Doors close with a tinny lightweight sound rather than the cliche'd Swiss bank vault of older German cars or even modern Benzs and Porsches (not been in a BMW in awhile).

The twin sunroofs have a strange way of working, and if I were getting the car new I'd have skipped them. When you pull the toggle that opens them, for the first five seconds both front and rear roofs tilt. If you keep pulling after that, rear roof goes back into the closed position and front roof slides back open and sits atop rear roof. There's no way to open rear roof, nor are there any rear windows. Worst feature is the mesh inner panel. No way to actually close off the sun with an opaque shade, like every other car I've ever seen. Even in early May southern sun, it's too much. I've ordered an aftermarket screen you can suction to the underside of the glass, but that has the obvious problem of ease of removal when you want to open it or just see out after the sun goes down.

All in all, I'm delighted with the Clubman so far (but then I'm still under warranty for 3 months! ) Given the fit/finish, the handling, and the strong motor for this segment, as well as the utility and efficiency, I'm still surprised you could buy this much car with under 30k miles for under $15,000 US. Good job BMW! My first ownership of one of their cars since my '76 530i (which was old and a nightmare when I had it in the late-80s). And best of all -- it is genuinely a very fun car to drive and I can tell I'll enjoy it for a long time, not just till the newness wears off. And I don't say "fun to drive" lightly, as it shares garage space with a Wrangler and a GT4, two cars that are no stranger at all to fun-to-drive.

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
BTW I love the car. I wish I had the lighter seats. Phoenix and black seats is brutal at times. One suggestion for the sunroof have the inside of the roof panels tinted with a very dark a limo tint that does cut almost all of the sun glare coming through with the mesh panels closed.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:36 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
I second the sunroof tint idea. Mine is tinted, and it helps tremendously with keeping the sun off.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 AM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
The car lived its first 4 years in Florida and already has a generous tint on the sunroofs. Definitively helps, over typical factory tint to the glass. But it's not enough for me. I wound up stuffing a cotton rag between the mesh and the glass on the trip to the beach this week; unsightly but confirmed to me there's a need for total blocking for me to not be annoyed by sun coming in. (Truth be told, I'm a slicktop guy by nature -- always order cars without one if the majority of models on dealer lots have sunroofs. I especially don't like the look from outside the car, but it's never been a problem inside before because I just keep it closed.)

Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
I guess if you were creative you could take the mesh rollers out and replace the fabric with a solid one. I thought about it but even in Phoenix the darkest limo tint was fine for me.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:33 AM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
I suppose so; probably easier to replace the motor with an LS7 crate motor. :D

It's a shame it wasn't done right from the factory; sometimes the reason every manufacturer does it essentially the same is that is the best way; innovation for innovation's sake may reduce utility. With a solid shade you can have "no sunroof", roll it open and have nicely tinted sunroof (a factory tint that creates the same amount of shading the mesh fabric currently does), or fully open. With the MINI setup you get 2 of those three options (tinted or open), but still have the exact same cost and complexity as The Other Guys.

By the way, the suction shade came in and it's horrible looking, as expected, but works fine. Would only use for longish trips in midday. Perhaps I'll talk to a tint joint and see about going darker. But that's a compromise also, because in morning or evening light, with the sun not straight overhead, I'll now have a much darker experience than I want.

Oh well, it's a small niggle, to be sure. All in all I'm glad BMW took an innovative approach to the car overall. Just think this little detail failed.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM
jl889
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the car and nice to see another Atlanta local on the board. I replaced my tires with BF Sport Comp-2 from Discount Tire. They ride much better than factory and have a some nice grip as well. Whats also great as they won't break the bank, total was around $450 installed with road hazard warranty.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 PM
NoGaBiker
1st Gear
Back with another report.

I took my R55 into Global Imports Atlanta yesterday for 2 things: 1) Activate Sirius (I can't take FM any longer! ) and 2) replace the stripes on the front which had faded in the FLA sun and I had ordered a new set from MINI. I woulda replaced the stripes myself but since I had it in anyway and they only wanted $99 and it would be done right for sure (aesthetic mods are not my strong suit) I was glad to have it done.

Shout out to Global for their professionalism AND the free loaner car! They gave me a 2018 Cabriolet or whatever the convertible is called. I won't comment on the convertible model itself, other than to say I wouldn't buy one if it was the only model MINI sold. Visibility is horrible, absolutely horrible, and the trunk opening, even with the clever expander, is a deal breaker for me.

That said, many other changes on the new model struck me as great, effectively solving some of the complaints I have about the R55 generation.

1) door handles. They still look like ours (good) but being able to just pull the whole thing out (natural) vs. squeezing the hidden inner button (unnatural) is a big improvement. Every passenger I've had, including car guys who've had a lot of cars, has struggled with the door handle.

2) window lifts. Whoever designed ours should have been summarily dismissed, along with whoever approved them. I love toggles, don't get me wrong. But these are idiotic.
a) they're situated amongst another bunch of toggles that feel exactly like them. Meaning when I reach down and don't look at my hand, I can't tell if I've grabbed a window lift, a fog light, or whatever else resides down there. Crazy!
b) They're not together, but separated by more than a hand's width. Ever want to put both windows down, either all the way or 2" or whatever? Every other car in the known universe places the buttons right next to each other so you can set your index and middle fingers on both buttons and operate them simultaneously. R55? Gotta do one, then find the other and do it. F54? Traditional 2 buttons right next to each other in the left armrest in the door. Works like a champ.
3) Center console cover. Again, who designed ours??? The lid slides. But it's a freaking arm rest! For the freaking arm that is shifting, i.e. moving rapidly back and forth multiple times. Meaning the console lid is constantly opening and closing, etc. So dumb. The new one has a traditional rear-hinged console lid. There's a reason some ideas haven't been changed in the last 50 years.
4) seatbelt doesn't get pinched between the door and the seatback on the new one. Maybe that's a function of convertible vs. Clubman, not sure. But for whatever reason, mine seems to get trapped 75% of the time, for a day and a quarter the new one never did it once.

Probably more, but those were my quick observations.

I still like the aesthetics of the old one much better, like the aesthetics of the interior much better (guage cluster, etc. much more mechanical and traditional than the new one.)

Cheers!